Muppet Robin Hood comic coming April 29, 2009

Amy

Reaction score
Why is the cover art seem to be better than the interior drawing? I blame Amy! (kidding, of course) :wink:

Still, I'm enjoying the style of the different covers a great deal. How are artists chosen for the content duties? Does it have to do with a relationship with the writer?

Hey, don't blame me, my Robin Hood cover doesn't come along until issue 4! ;p

Nah. It just depends on which stories are ready to be assigned artists and who is available who has been approved by Disney.
I would have leapt on the chance to draw Robin Hood as I know Tim Beedle and have worked with him before, but Armand got in first and I was working on something else at the time.
The artists on each Boom! title (Incredibles, Nemo, Muppets etc) have 'auditioned' and been approved by the appropriate Disney liasons. Disney approved me as a Muppet artist and Pan was the next cab off the ranks, so I was assigned to that.
As for covers, they get assigned to whomever is available in the stable of artists when they need it, although usually the interior artist does at LEAST half the covers for their title. Some artists, like David Petersen and Cheeks Gallagher, are just doing covers but no interior art.
I work fast, so I do a lot of covers as well as interior art on my own two comics.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, comic book resources has an 8-page preview for the comic book, and it looks good so far. There is one character who looks a bit like Fat Blue.

grail

Reaction score
Don't forget to go get this today!

I'm off work in about 5 minutes, and then I'm off to the comic shop for my fix. Thankfully, it's been on my pull list for awhile, and they pull me all the covers...because they know I'll buy them. The main cover was done by the guy who does a book called Mouse Guard, which I also highly recommend, and the final issue of its current miniseries is ALSO out today.

GO BUY COMICS!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My day off was yesterday and indeed the comic was delayed a day so I just ordered mine from Boom! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm picking up at least one on the weekend. I ain't waiting a week again like the first time. But I just can't wait. This looks amazing.

grail

Reaction score
Got it. Read it. Enjoyed it quite a bit!

Reaction score
Hello all,

David Petersen here, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm doing some of the Muppet covers for Boom.

I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words about my covers.
They were a blast to work on and I'm happy to say that I have more Muppet related work on my to-do list!

Here are all 4 of my Muppet Robin Hood covers:

http://www.davidpetersen.net/pinups/robinhoodcover1.jpg
http://www.davidpetersen.net/pinups/robinhoodcover2.jpg
http://www.davidpetersen.net/pinups/robinhoodcover3.jpg
http://www.davidpetersen.net/pinups/robinhoodcover4.jpg

Drtooth

Reaction score
David Petersen here, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm doing some of the Muppet covers for Boom.

I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words about my covers.
They were a blast to work on and I'm happy to say that I have more Muppet related work on my to-do list!
Great stuff. I honestly wish I had the budget to get both covers of each issue... it's so hard to chose between them, since all you artists do such a great job.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the other comic thread, but it's best placed here in the Robin Hood one.

Gotta say, I just got the Robin Hood comic today and found it disappointing. I was so excited and wanted to really like this. Langridge's comics have unexpectedly raised the bar in ways that this initial Robin Hood offering by Beadle and Villavert Jr didn't deliver for me.

The covers were beautiful, but the art inside left much to be desired. All the faces appear to have been flattened and Sweetums seems remarkably thin. I do like how Janice is handled. I'd just rather have an artist a little better suited to the Muppets handle the visuals. Art C-

There were some clever jokes here and there, but the panels were rather wordy for such little substance they contained. It just didn't feel that Muppety to me. I hope the next one gets better. So far this issue seems a little more middling fan-art than officially endorsed material. Story C+

Overall C :sympathy:

I know the Peter Pan stories will be beautifully illustrated. This is the tale I'm looking forward to reading. :wink:

By the way, it takes up to three weeks to get these from the Boom website. I'll be better about picking them up in the stores.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
By the way, it takes up to three weeks to get these from the Boom website. I'll be better about picking them up in the stores.
This fact has been driving me NUTS. The shipping time is terrible and I'm growing really impatient--my local comic shop is terrible about stocking them and the owner is kind of rude. Oh well!