Who's going to see Disney's the Princess and the Frog

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I know I am, I'm so happy Disney is getting back to 2D animation, :excited:.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pixar stuff and Bolt was a great movie as well. But if there is one company that should still do some 2D stuff it's Disney.

I'm a huge lover of Disney and man I can't wait to see this one, who else?

Kiki

Reaction score
Sounds awesome! Yeah, I do love the Pixar stuff, but it's nice to hear they're getting back to basics(ish). Yeah, I'm gonna see it- fer sure! :excited:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Not too long ago too, I saw the teaser trailor for it as well on my Sleeping Beauty DVD. This should be a landmark Disney film since it well feature the very first Africian Disney Princess, :flirt:.

So far the only thing that (at least as of now) I don't like is that odd little firefly or lighting bug or whatever? That could change once I see the movie, but who knows?

But all in all, I'm totally psyched to go see it, :excited:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I've been anxiously awaiting this movie for what seems like years now!

The Frog Prince (and variants of the story) has always been one of my favorite fairy tales. And the animation, concept art, and promotional art so far looks gorgeous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, you know why the movie keeps getting delayed. They try to name the character one thing, and design her a certain way, and then she's a stereotype... then they fix her, and she's not African American enough... see why I'm always saying that it's difficult to come up with non-white, non-male characters? Some group complains about not being included in a project like this, and then when they are, they still pick and pick and pick at it, no matter how good their intentions are.

That said, isn't this pathetic? I like CGI and all, but we had all this buzz about one 2-D animated movie, and- firstly, there isn't another 2-D one planned for a while after it... and secondly, what if the movie isn't all that good? When a movie has this many rewrites and delays... well, you know that something is up. Every other country in the world has made some 2-D movies in the last few years... you just don't hear about them (except for 1 out of every 20 Japanese films). Again, "Lucky Luke goes West," "Asterix and the Vikings"... neither of which was bought by an American distributor... even on DVD.

I think Pixar is the ONLY company that gets it when it comes to CGI... to a lesser extent, maybe Dreamworks and Red Sky (though it wouldn't kill them to work harder on the scripts). Everyone else saya.. Hey! Let's make our own Shrek knockoff with as many popular voice actors as possible. Then we end up with disposable tripe like Fly me to the Moon and Space Chimps.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I think the Princess and the Frog is going to do great.

Yeah I agree with you Drtooth, I've been reading about this movie for about a good year now, and I heard about how she was suppose to be a chambermaid and all, but people got upset, :rolleyes:. That's lame, Snow White and Cinderella were chamber-maids as well. But be that as it may.

I think Disney put a lot of work into this movie and I have faith it will be great. The problem with animated films today is that almost every company thinks it has to be CGI or it's no good. Like you mention the Dream works movies, don't even get me started with Dream works, :mad:. You're totally right they believe if it's CGI and has big name actors doing voices it's going to be a good movie and that's just not true.

Disney's last 2D film was "Home on the Range" and it didn't do very well. I think they thought, well if a Disney 2D film didn't do well, than that means people don't want to see 2D films anymore, they just want CGI. Maybe Home on the Range was just a bad movie, which it was, very poorly written.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Too true! Writing and execution of a film are the determining factors in its success. That and luck. CG is a tool, not a fad, just as traditional animation is also a filmmaking tool. If a film looks good people will come. Period.

I haven’t seen any actual footage for Princess & the Frog except for the teaser trailer so I don’t know. However they can count on my support for traditional animation.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Excatly Jamie Frogboy

Toy Story may have, at the the time, had the advantage of showing something totally new in the world of animated. But what really makes it such a great film was that it told a great story that both children and grown folks can enjoy. Overall it's just a good movie. Now for every Toy Story, there is about ten Bee Movies, :smile:.

But I can't wait for Princess and the Frog, but at the same time, I'm looking forward to Disney/Pixar's Up. But I really can't wait for Princess and the Frog, first off as Baby Gonzo mentioned the Frog Prince is one of my personal favorite fairly tales as well. And I'm hoping 2D well make a comeback, that doesn't mean I want the 3D CGI stuff to go away, I think there is room for all of it.

Hey I just had a thought ,and I know this is a long shot, but what if when this movie comes out on DVD/Blue Ray, what if Tales from Muppetland Frog Prince is feature as a special feature, :excited:. Like I said I know it's long shot and probably won't happen, but hey wouldn't that be cool? A guy can dream

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Bee Movie had a fantastic art director, but that was about it. I remember Jerry Seinfeld boasting that the idea was sold to Spielberg on the title without any idea what the film would be about. That's terrible.

Here's the official Princess and the Frog website.