Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

unclematt

Reaction score
I never looked at it that way Beau. Very good point.

Beauregard

Reaction score
But, the problem is, they've now settled with those changes. The Piggy that we knew from the Muppet Show, she'd notice this change eventually and set out to deal with it, start looking at herself as a confident, glamorous and wonderful pig again. I think she's been injured by interview after interview trying to bring her down. It's good that she at least controls her anger now. She needs to regain her inner strength.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Some of it is the culture. In the '70s, a strong, liberated woman was in vogue. Nowadays, it's considered more fun to ridicule women as shallow and divas.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more Beau. I really think it sends a terrible message that Kermit keeps denying her and any relationship between them in all of his interviews and appearances and she just takes it. I think anyone in her position would have totally left Kermit by now instead of taking the constant abuse, and it looks really bad that writers keep perpetuating it. It seems like it's starting to change a little bit after what we saw in LTS, but their moments together were so short that we didn't get a full enough picture. I really hope the writers get kermit to wise up and treat Piggy right or lets Piggy karate chop him a little to knock some sense into him.

Piggy totally needs to return to be the confident but kind-hearted pig we all knew from the Muppet show. They definitely have portrayed her really really harsh in some of the last projects and it just doesn't suit her. Hopefully this new project will change some of that, I can only hope!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more Beau. I really think it sends a terrible message that Kermit keeps denying her and any relationship between them in all of his interviews and appearances and she just takes it. I think anyone in her position would have totally left Kermit by now instead of taking the constant abuse, and it looks really bad that writers keep perpetuating it
Definitely! Like I said, in the '70s pop culture held up independent women more. Now we celebrate horrible behavior and victimize people for amusement.

On the Muppet Show, you got the impression that no matter how much Kermit denied his feelings, you knew it was an act. More recently, he really just looks like he can't stand Piggy.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heralde: More recently, he really just looks like he can't stand Piggy
Absolutely true, and I hate it! Hopefully LTS was an indication that it will change

Nick22

Reaction score
LTS was waaaaaaaay too short. Miss Piggy definatley wasnt herself and was barely shown. She rully hasnt been herself since jim died.

unclematt

Reaction score
I think Piggy is a woman of the times and that she fits right in with other women of the 21st century. Look at how Joan Rivers has changed from the 70s. You have to keep yourself in the present.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Miss Piggy started to show more vulnerability in MTM. A little too much for my taste. I find that to be more the turning point of the character and current incarnations mimic that Piggy rather than the stronger TMS, TMM and GMC Miss Piggy that I prefer. At least she lost the fright wig. I just can't stand that pig-fro they stuck her in.

Personally, except for the musical numbers I really don't think MTM should be the standard model for a Muppet movie. To me it's like the Jedi of the Muppet trilogy. It has a crowd-pleasing ending and has more kid-friendly moments (Ewoks = Muppet Babies), but the first two films have more depth. it worries me a little when Segel cites MTM as his inspiration because I find it more of a parody of the other two films. I don't remember him saying much about the original Muppet Movie.

I hope the new film takes the spark and wit of the Muppet Movie, the craftsmanship of the Caper and retains some of the crowd-pleasing tactics of Manhattan while nodding to the better parts of more recent projects.

unclematt

Reaction score
If I had to pick a standard to goo by I would say Caper hands down.