Muppet Show Season 4 coming in 2013

Drtooth

Reaction score
Blu Ray wouldn't add or detract from anything else, and that theory is definitely NOT why this is delayed. Not every TV show is released in that fashion. And re-releasing the others to fit some fadget is not why we had an extra year wait.

That said, moderators take notice... this thread should be closed UNTIL we have confirmation of the DVD even getting released at all.

eday2010

Reaction score
1. LucasFilm probably DID grant Buena Vista the rights for the Mark Hamill episode, since they allowed C3PO and R2D2's Sesame appearance to appear on the Sesame Street 40th Anniversary compillation.
I think that episode was/is a major hurdle to clear for the season 4 set. LucasFilm loves getting money, as does Disney/Buena Vista. Because the Muppet Show is completely commercial, LucasFilm may demand a lot more money for the rights to include that episode. Since Sesame Street is non-profit, I am sure they are more lenient/generous in granting rights for the R2/C-3PO segments. Celebrities do sign a contract where they are paid peanuts ($80 when Ray Charles was on) when they appear on the show.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
That said, moderators take notice... this thread should be closed UNTIL we have confirmation of the DVD even getting released at all.
...as should be said for the EFX Poser thread also, as thats NEVER gonna happen! ! ! ! !

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that episode was/is a major hurdle to clear for the season 4 set. LucasFilm loves getting money, as does Disney/Buena Vista. Because the Muppet Show is completely commercial, LucasFilm may demand a lot more money for the rights to include that episode. Since Sesame Street is non-profit, I am sure they are more lenient/generous in granting rights for the R2/C-3PO segments. Celebrities do sign a contract where they are paid peanuts ($80 when Ray Charles was on) when they appear on the show.
Yes, but let's not forget LucasFilm has a good relationship with Disney. Otherwise Star Tours wouldn't still be around.

No, the main rumor is that songs Michael Jackson owns (i.e. Beatles songs) have to be renegotiated with his estate. And we ALL know what goes on with estates.

...as should be said for the EFX Poser thread also, as thats NEVER gonna happen! !
There's a huge difference though. When it comes down to money and business, we're talking about small selling large products that are very much vanity buys vs a series of affordable DVD's that have sold solid since 2005. There's too much internal politics keeping posers at bay from what I understand... with TMS, it's just a matter of having to renegotiate idiotic music rights they busted their humps and bent over backward to get. Let's hope the Jackson estate doesn't get greedy on this one and clears those rights post haste.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yes, but let's not forget LucasFilm has a good relationship with Disney. Otherwise Star Tours wouldn't still be around.

No, the main rumor is that songs Michael Jackson owns (i.e. Beatles songs) have to be renegotiated with his estate. And we ALL know what goes on with estates.

There's a huge difference though. When it comes down to money and business, we're talking about small selling large products that are very much vanity buys vs a series of affordable DVD's that have sold solid since 2005. There's too much internal politics keeping posers at bay from what I understand... with TMS, it's just a matter of having to renegotiate idiotic music rights they busted their humps and bent over backward to get. Let's hope the Jackson estate doesn't get greedy on this one and clears those rights post haste.
It's a little more involved than Michael Jackson owning the Beatles songs. He owned the PUBLISHING rights, not full ownership of the songs themselves. Read this link to explain it a little more and a lot better than I ever could: http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

If the hold up is the Beatles songs for the Season 4 DVDs, it's not just Michael Jackson's estate. My sister used to work on the legal end of the music industry and there are for lack of a better term "too many cooks in the kitchen". Royalties, legal fees, ownership is scattered amongst a bunch of different parties, so it's not just Michael Jackson's estate, family, etc. holding things up.

The legalities of the Beatles music could be a reason, and I also agree with the other poster said it could be Lucas' company holding up stuff too. They are an empire (no pun intended) unto themselves and George Lucas is a bit of a maniac but also a shrewd businessman.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a little more involved than Michael Jackson owning the Beatles songs. He owned the PUBLISHING rights, not full ownership of the songs themselves. Read this link to explain it a little more and a lot better than I ever could: http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

If the hold up is the Beatles songs for the Season 4 DVDs, it's not just Michael Jackson's estate. My sister used to work on the legal end of the music industry and there are for lack of a better term "too many cooks in the kitchen". Royalties, legal fees, ownership is scattered amongst a bunch of different parties, so it's not just Michael Jackson's estate, family, etc. holding things up.
It could very well JUST be that segment, as the rest of the rights were hammered out long ago. And if there's a sever in those connections, and they may have to renegotiate with everyone, that's a possible other layer to this whole crap.

The legalities of the Beatles music could be a reason, and I also agree with the other poster said it could be Lucas' company holding up stuff too. They are an empire (no pun intended) unto themselves and George Lucas is a bit of a maniac but also a shrewd businessman.
Which could be true if not for Stuff like this

Again, Lucas has a good relationship with Disney and Henson (even though Henson is no longer part of the equation) over the years, and no doubt, unless something went really REALLY wrong with that (then we'd see Star Tours boarded and closed up instead of being renovated) it wouldn't be that tough to negotiate.

Now my theory is that something could very well be up with the John Denver stuff, because someone here once mentioned how poorly his estate was being handled, and why that's the reason the John Denver/Muppet specials are sitting in a closet.

But again, these are rumors and theories... they could just very well be holding this off to promote the movie or something... though I still say we've got a season to go.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
It could very well JUST be that segment, as the rest of the rights were hammered out long ago. And if there's a sever in those connections, and they may have to renegotiate with everyone, that's a possible other layer to this whole crap.

Which could be true if not for Stuff like this

Again, Lucas has a good relationship with Disney and Henson (even though Henson is no longer part of the equation) over the years, and no doubt, unless something went really REALLY wrong with that (then we'd see Star Tours boarded and closed up instead of being renovated) it wouldn't be that tough to negotiate.

Now my theory is that something could very well be up with the John Denver stuff, because someone here once mentioned how poorly his estate was being handled, and why that's the reason the John Denver/Muppet specials are sitting in a closet.

But again, these are rumors and theories... they could just very well be holding this off to promote the movie or something... though I still say we've got a season to go.
I understand where you're coming from, Dr. Tooth, but again, merchandising rights is a whole other layer of legalities that are involved. Just because the Muppets have put out Star Wars products in the past, and George Lucas and Jim Henson may have had lunch together every Sunday for two years while filming Labyrinth, when it comes to licensing out usages for merchandising purposes, it's a whole different ballgame, and home video licensing and other products is also different. I know it's hard to explain and understand and I'm not trying to be condescending, but I work in the home video industry, my sister formerly in the music industry, so we both kind of get this stuff when it comes to what's involved with getting a product pushed out there.

As for the music thing, your theory about John Denver could also be very spot on. Although they did officially release the John Denver/Muppets Rocky Mountain holiday special on DVD.

I had read various rumors that Michael Jackson had willed back the Beatles catalogue to McCartney should he had passed away, and of course now he did, but it turns out those were definitely rumors as confirmed in various articles online by Paul McCartney himself. If it doesn't end up being the Jackson estate, it could be Capitol records, the Beatles record company, Yoko, there are a bunch of people who could easily have the finger pointed at them. But like you said in an earlier post, it's just speculation right now.

Quesal

Reaction score
darn rights crap! The Muppet show started coming out on DVD the summer before my freshman year of college and I've been done with college for over a year now!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
darn rights crap! The Muppet show started coming out on DVD the summer before my freshman year of college and I've been done with college for over a year now!
Season 1 came out the summer before I started 8th grade (last year of middle school) and now I'm in the middle of freshman year of college. Insanity these season sets I tell ya.