"Doozer Contest" Question

SwordKing

Reaction score
I just finished watching the "Doozer Contest" episode. I got to wondering why they didn't actually show Cotterpin's fight with Wrench. It's not usual for the Henson Company to skip over an action part like that.

I came up it with three possible explanations.

A) Fraggle Rock was a children's program designed to discourage violent solutions. (Without being too preachy about it like some other shows)

B) The Doozers' movements were too limited for an effective fight scene.

C) The creators decided it would be funnier to leave the fight to the viewers' imaginations.

So, which explanation do you think is the most likely? Or do you have some other ideas?

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Was it necessary to show a fight scene? I mean, if it's obvious that a fight has taken place, then there really isn't a need to show it. Honestly, in looking at the episode I never really felt anything was missing.

I think that all three explanations are possible.

SwordKing

Reaction score
Was it necessary to show a fight scene? I mean, if it's obvious that a fight has taken place, then there really isn't a need to show it. Honestly, in looking at the episode I never really felt anything was missing.
Neither did I. I'm just curious because Henson characters usually do things rather just talk about doing things.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
They might not have had the budget or ability/knowledge of how to show the actual fight. At least, that's what I assumed :smile: Besides that, the show pretty much had no actual violence, so it wouldn't have fit in very well, anyway.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I think they wanted to return to the main conflict. Revealing that Cotterpin and Wrench disagreed was enough.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, honestly, even Dinosaurs skimped out on violence at times. I think it's a combination of lack of ability and go-ahead to do violence on a kid's show (then, anyway). It's kind of like Leader of the Pack, on Dinosaurs. We never see the packs attack Robbie and (regrettably) we never see Spike let his own pack have it either. All we get is the typical Muppety "bandaged victims" to suggest a bad fight took place.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think it is because the muppes and fraggles always had an underlining element of 'funny' and a fight would have brought things down to a level that might ruin that mood. Also, everyones imaginations might be able to fill in what happened with an even more serious fight than what could be shown...
When something really is dramatic sometimes not showing things and just suggesting them can end in a better scene :smile:...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, not only that, but ... honestly, it was supposed to be a serious fight, but just imagining 2 6-inch green "bugs" duke it out is the funniest thing I can conjure up in my head.

Cotterpin (furiously): I AM NOT A BUG!

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
*snort* I can just imagine their little green fists flying at each other and the cliche cloud of dirt :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, any muppet fight we did see was a little like that anyway *lol* :3