Any big Murray fans?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with what mbmfrog said about taking Murray a little bit slower then throwing him out there. I don't mind Murray and fell in love with his character when i first saw him but now he's like i don't know kinda getting on my nerves now. I still like him but i can't stand to see him taking over to much time on Sesame Street.

If they would just go back to season 39 and just have him intro the show and have his little segment that would be ok with me. I don't mind seeing him all over the show but why have him just there.
I really don't blame Murray for any of that. I still think the character is amazing, I just don't like the execution of the block segments he's hosting. It doesn't matter to me if it was Murray, Elmo, Third Monster from the left in "Beginning Middle and End" or whatever... I like how he does the letter and number of the day intros, but the announcing what segment's coming up next wasn't that great an idea.

I say, season 41, we keep the letter and number intros, film new ones with him AND Ovejita, and just skip all the "Abby's Flying School is up next" stuff. But I STILL love the look of taking a muppet out into the real world, and not just having them sit in a cramped little studio set.

And I hope he doesn't get the Telly merchandising snub. They NEED to make a plush or PVC of him/them...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why is a thread like this in the CLASSIC SST board? Lol.

Personally, I don't mind Murray too much (my mom thinks he's the most hideous-looking Muppet she's ever seen), but as I've said before, if you're going to have a character be the unofficial host of the show, give the duties to a character with more seniority.

But like a lot of you, I too am glad to see Joey getting a stable character for himself... Stinky? Papa Bear? Those aren't exactly "star" quality characters.

beaker

Reaction score
You know, I've started thinking that maybe Murray should host a Sesame Street DVD, maybe focusing on letters, numbers, or music, and could act like a music video vee-jay.

I wonder what characters WOULD be good for Murray to interract with. I feel like he and Grover might be too similar (though Murray doesn't seem to mix things up like Grover does). Maybe he could annoy Oscar or Bert.

Considering that Murray usually seems seperate from the rest of the show, I find it a bit odd that, in "The Word on the Street", he says "Hi, I'm Murray from Sesame Street". Technically that is true, but it still feels odd.

Also, considering how much he's been used in the last three years, I'm surprised that he has yet to host any of the days at sesamestreet.org.
Yeah that is odd. It's almost like Murray and Ovejita only exist in the "real world". (My view has always been that Muppets are just actors, and everything we see is just them acting)

Man you're right...we've never seen him interact with the other characters. Also no cameos in merchandise, dvds, no nothing.
I wonder if there's a reason for this...I mean they keep him on, so they much have a good use for him.

I just know, I'd love to see some Murray merchandise, and as you said a Murray hosted dvd. Eh, at least I finally got a Telly and Martian plush.

beaker

Reaction score
But I STILL love the look of taking a muppet out into the real world, and not just having them sit in a cramped little studio set.

And I hope he doesn't get the Telly merchandising snub. They NEED to make a plush or PVC of him/them...
YES! Man, any time we see Muppets in the real world where the public walking around is unscripted(Pepe scenes on From The Balcony for example) it's amazing. These are by far my fave examples...and I personally do not feel you can be a real Muppet fan and *not* love that "Murray had a little lamb" minute long intro they use. It's just so alive with fun quirkyness(like Ovejita on the pottery wheel)

And man, it's eerie how much you think like me...I was just thinking how Telly has been ROYALLY snubbed out of merchandising over the years. I think I've seen two Telly pvcs and one little plush. A Murray/Ovejita plush and pvc package would be way too cool...

Then again, it's not like Fisher Price ever made any actual cool Sesame merchandise. (I think they made one Abby pvc so far)

beaker

Reaction score
Why is a thread like this in the CLASSIC SST board? Lol.

Personally, I don't mind Murray too much (my mom thinks he's the most hideous-looking Muppet she's ever seen), but as I've said before, if you're going to have a character be the unofficial host of the show, give the duties to a character with more seniority.

But like a lot of you, I too am glad to see Joey getting a stable character for himself... Stinky? Papa Bear? Those aren't exactly "star" quality characters.
Haha, true. Though Joe The Armadillo(from the behind the scenes Kermit Swamp Years dvd bonus feature) wowed me so much, I yearned for him to become a Muppet regular...so I'm so glad Joey was able to transplant a bit of that voice and personality into the Murray character.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, Joe the Armadillo became a "rejected" Muppet after that, lol. If I remember, the puppet was reused for Puppet Up! Uncensored.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Stinky... but really, I don't think he has a genuine character. I never cared for the loud, whiny elephant myself... I really think he has a genuine talent, but it's almost like him and David Rudman are joined at the hip. His best characters before hand played off David's characters with such a unique chemestry... i.e. Papa Bear to Baby Bear, Joey Monkey to Davey Monkey, the two headed monster...

Murray seems pretty genuine. I've seen a lot of characters on SS come and go, some were very flat (from what I've seen of Dexter the Juggler, it's a novel concept but such a bland character). And he plays off of non-scripted, non-studio kids and adults so well.

That, and I really think he has an amazing unique design. most humanoid muppets on SS are made out of AM's, even prominent characters like the Count and Prairie Dawn. it really seems the area of monsters, they really tend to get creative. His character design is a bit borrowed from Filfil, but he looks so different than what you normally see on Sesame Street, but he still fits in perfectly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
His best characters before hand played off David's characters with such a unique chemestry... i.e. Papa Bear to Baby Bear, Joey Monkey to Davey Monkey, the two headed monster...
Exactly.

beaker

Reaction score
That, and I really think he has an amazing unique design. most humanoid muppets on SS are made out of AM's, even prominent characters like the Count and Prairie Dawn. it really seems the area of monsters, they really tend to get creative. His character design is a bit borrowed from Filfil, but he looks so different than what you normally see on Sesame Street, but he still fits in perfectly.
Yeah I always thought the foreign(particularly the Asian and Muslim/Middle Eastern) Sesame Street characters had the coolest look out of anything in the Sesame world. I see what you mean, by the Mumford/Count/Fats Blue/Prairie/Forgetful Jones/Guy Smiley/Abby/etc. look.

I always preferred the shaggy look of Oscar:stick_out_tongue: But yeah, the way Murray and Ovejita interact in non scripted real world environments and situations is amazing. *IF* Sesame ever released the best of Word on the Street/Murray Had A Little Lamb, I'd so buy it!

Is there a way for Murray/Ovejita fans to show Sesame Workshop how much we dig these characters? And suggest they make merchandise?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Murray's interacted with the other Sesame Street characters on the Street before. In the Texas Telly and the Golden Triangle of Destiny episodes (or at least one of them- the last one I think) Murray is there with Telly in Leela's laundromat when Telly finds the Golden Triangle of Destiny.
But it would be nice to see him mingle with other Sesame Street denizens too.:wisdom::insatiable::batty: