Gonzo behavior in the Leslie Uggams ep

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
Did anyone else, but me find Gonzo behavior towards Big Bird in the Leslie Uggams episode a little bit disturbing? I know Gonzo has a thing for for birds, but given the fact that Big Bird is supposed to be a six year old boy, it just made Gonzo seem really, really creepy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, well that's the risk you take with comedy sometimes, especially with an uninhibited character like Gonzo. :concern:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Big Bird was still widely seen as an abstract back then. The age assignment was more of a creative note that had evolved behind the scenes in development of the character to make him relatable to the intended Sesame audience.

Back then there were many viewers who where still confused over whether Big Bird was male of female so I wouldn't read much into this. Heck, there are still people out there now who would swear Big Bird is a girl, even though we know better. Still, even I found this portion of the show to be a little creepy. But humorously so. That same joke wouldn't likely be made today (even if the Henson Company owned both characters). :wisdom:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just watched it again to familiarize myself better, hehe. I mean, as Frogboy said, I don't think Big Bird was as clearly defined as a 6 year old. He was just a familiar character here. And Gonzo's just being his odd self. I mean this is a guy who also seems to be dating a cheese!

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
Big Bird was still widely seen as an abstract back then. The age assignment was more of a creative note that had evolved behind the scenes in development of the character to make him relatable to the intended Sesame audience.

Back then there were many viewers who where still confused over whether Big Bird was male of female so I wouldn't read much into this. Heck, there are still people out there now who would swear Big Bird is a girl, even though we know better. Still, even I found this portion of the show to be a little creepy. But humorously so. That same joke wouldn't likely be made today (even if the Henson Company owned both characters). :wisdom:
That's true my mom thought Big Bird was girl she also thought Big Bird's performer was a little old lady!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
...but it is still really freaky. That episode always makes me laugh uncomfortably. :concern:

I temped at a workplace for a brief while and showed my portfolio that included the Palisades Sweetums among other items. The woman who interviewed me said that she liked "that big furry monster guy okay" but Big Bird scared her as a kid and still does now. It wasn't the first generation kind of gawky Big Bird either. It's the one we know and love. I knew that office wasn't the place for me and was happy to leave when the job was over. I can tolerate many things. Hating on Big Bird will never be one of them. Miss Mousey...that's different. She knows what she did! :embarrassed:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I think about it, it's not so much Gonzo that's disturbing, but rather Big Bird's oblivious reaction. I mean it's one thing when he didn't understand the Swedish Chef wanted to cook him. It's another when...OK I'll stop now. Lol

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
Yeah that bothered me too. And Speaking of AMFC I'm glad they didn't carry the Gonzo "liking" Big Bird over to that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean The Muppet Show was intended to be more adult than Sesame Street. So I don't think Big Bird should be viewed in the same way when he crosses universes like that.

I remember Carroll Spinney saying he played Big Bird more like a 12 year old when he appeared on Hollywood Squares, so to allow him to do jokes that wouldn't have worked for a 6 year old. So I don't look at Big Bird on The Muppet Show and think 6 year old, or even child. Obviously that would not have been appropriate. I do want to make that clear.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Also, you've got to remember that Gonzo probably had no idea that Big Bird was 6, or male for that matter. This is the first time they've met, I'm assuming, and Big Bird is HUGE. If you met a person of your own species the size of Big Bird, you'd never automatically assume that they were 6 years old.

Gonzo was pretty oblivious when it came to love interests back then. And always quite risqué. Check out the episode where he takes Julie Andrew's cow on a date...