Why did MFS and EIG bomb so bad?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what actually bugs me about MFS now that I look at it? I love how the opening of the film showed all the characters, the minor ones, the extra animals, every available muppet... all bouncing around in a cramped house, taking baths together in the toilet.... that was probably the best concept in the movie....

and then at Breakfast everyone but Gonzo and Kermit left.... and the house was pretty deserted the rest of the movie. Now, if they kept up that concept, I think the movie would have had a more muppety feel. The house, instead felt empty for the rest of the picture.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You know what actually bugs me about MFS now that I look at it? I love how the opening of the film showed all the characters, the minor ones, the extra animals, every available muppet... all bouncing around in a cramped house, taking baths together in the toilet.... that was probably the best concept in the movie....

and then at Breakfast everyone but Gonzo and Kermit left.... and the house was pretty deserted the rest of the movie. Now, if they kept up that concept, I think the movie would have had a more muppety feel. The house, instead felt empty for the rest of the picture.
Yup, once they went to watch TV in the other room everything seemed like a few choice characters going through the motions. A lot of fans wanted a show made based off their living situation in that film. That could have been really fun - if it actually seemed like anyone lived there. I guess they were hiding from the health department. :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot of fans wanted a show made based off their living situation in that film. That could have been really fun - if it actually seemed like anyone lived there. I guess they were hiding from the health department. :eek:
The director could have learned a thing or two from GMC. No matter how many smaller, more intimate moments between a small number of characters there was, you always remembered the Hotel was packed. I really think there could have been potential with as many muppets as possible watching the TV and fighting over the remote and what to watch until Kermit calmly (than not so calmly) states that Piggy is working on such and such a show and if they want to support her, then they have to watch it.

Seems they tried to get that back in the party scene, but blew it later.

And I really think the ending needed to have all the Muppets slowly come out on the roof to look at the stars with Gonzo until there were so many of them, the roof collapsed, leading Gonzo to cheerfully say "I'm HOME!"

I still think that the one credit I'm giving the movie is that they didn't use Smashmouth's "Hey Now, You're an All Star" like eh-heh-hevery other movie that summer. I'm almost sure there was an original draft of Phantom Menace where they played that song during the credits with JarJar dancing around to it, instead of the Star Wars theme.... :big_grin:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
ROFL. The roof thing would have been an excellent joke. *loves the mental image of Jar Jar dancing to that song*

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just looking at the title, and I guess somebody was bound to ask...

:crazy:Did SOMEBODY say 'bomb so bad?"

::KABOOM!::

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
And I really think the ending needed to have all the Muppets slowly come out on the roof to look at the stars with Gonzo until there were so many of them, the roof collapsed, leading Gonzo to cheerfully say "I'm HOME!"
I REALLY love that idea Drtooth...:big_grin: LOL i laughed. alot better than gonzo asking about the hot tub and Pepe and Rizzo laughing at the end! :sleep:

jeffy

Reaction score
As a huge Muppet fan, and as someone who went to see Muppets From Space in the theater five times in a SINGLE day (I'll scan my tickets if you must have proof)...who owns the DVD and watches the film at least once a year...who LOVES the opening scenes (the Ark and the Brickhouse dance)...and everything Pepe...and the hysterical lab-rat scene...and some other really nice moments (the bus, Kathy Griffin, Piggy falling down)... I think I can safely say:

For me, Muppets From Space is the low point in the entire history of the Muppets.

The movies since have been slowly getting better, but The Muppets are still a struggling brood. Certainly a struggling brand. They need a kickstart if they're going to get off the ground again. The online improvisational movies have certainly helped, including From The Balcony.

Some specific and random thoughts about the film:

I think Gonzo as a character was irreparably harmed in this movie. He's a Whatever! I refuse to acknowledge the alien thing as part of Muppet History. It reminds me of how I was so terribly annoyed when Data got an emotion chip. I wanted to see how Data could evolve within his LIMITED means. The emotion chip destroyed all that--especially how he can turn it on and off at will. The journey! Not the destination! But I digress.

The other character really harmed in the movie was Fozzie. His first major part since Frank Oz left (although still his voice?), and all-of-the-sudden he's STUPID? Fozzie is NOT stupid! Naive maybe. His worst moment for me, in the entire existance of Fozzie Bear, was when he didn't know what a tape dispenser was. I think of how different Fozzie was in the Muppet Movie...

The Hulk Hogan cameo WAS stupid. This was the low point of the movie, which says something. I was embarrassed as a Muppet fan at this moment. Nothing against Hulk Hogan, but to stop the whole movie with that inane "to all my wrestling fans" speech?

Jeffrey Tambor is someone I enjoy immensely, but in both Oz and Space, I thought he just didn't work. Moreso in Space, though.

I'm currently watching the (just cute...not funny...just cute) commentary, and I'm scratching my head at why Tim Hill is even there. He just gives these one word responses to Rizzo and Gonzo. A dull personality, at least on the commentary. He clearly was not ispired by this movie.

Quote from DrTooth: "...at Breakfast everyone but Gonzo and Kermit left.... and the house was pretty deserted the rest of the movie. Now, if they kept up that concept, I think the movie would have had a more muppety feel. The house, instead felt empty for the rest of the picture."

I totally agree.

To close my random thoughts, I just think Muppets From Space has some inspiring moments (the most important being the introduction of Pepe) trapped in an uninspiring and boring film.

(By the way, my favorite film is easily the Muppet Movie, then Muppets Take Manhattan.)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think Gonzo as a character was irreparably harmed in this movie. He's a Whatever! I refuse to acknowledge the alien thing as part of Muppet History.

The other character really harmed in the movie was Fozzie. His first major part since Frank Oz left (although still his voice?), and all-of-the-sudden he's STUPID? Fozzie is NOT stupid! Naive maybe. His worst moment for me, in the entire existance of Fozzie Bear, was when he didn't know what a tape dispenser was. I think of how different Fozzie was in the Muppet Movie...
Absolutely, I think it showed a misunderstanding of their personalities and what kept them in character. It may have been an entertaining pre teen movie, but it wasn't the Muppets.

jeffy

Reaction score
Actually saw Fozzie's MFS scenes again, and boy oh boy are they horrendous. He picks his nose, and says "why don't we ask those nice men with guns?". It's more than he's stupid, it's like he's an imbecile!

It also struck me how this was the last significantly-budgeted Muppet movie. The latest movies are--first of all, straight to video or tv-only--and have a much lower production value.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Why is the Great Muppet Caper so low on your list? Am I the ONLY person who thinks that is the best Muppet film of them all? The songs are top notch, the best of all the movies. The jokes are fast and funny, spot on. The recurring lame jokes like, "what color are their hands now" and the lightbulb falling out are pure Muppets. The opening number, the number at the supper club and Piggy's under water number! Plus they put a great moment in there for practically every Muppet Show character and they don't feel forced. And then, there is the fantastic bike riding scene! The Muppets were never more revolutionary or better on film. TGMC is, in my opinion, the best of em all. It seems I'm so alone on this. :embarrassed:
I also think 'The Great Muppet Caper' is the best Muppet movie. In terms of number of cameos, quality of musical numbers and amount of sheer Muppet madness, it can't be beat! :smile:

I never did manage to come up with a plausible method as to how they managed to make Piggy and Kermit ride in circles. :confused: