Sesame "Muppet Diplomacy" in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Fat Albert and SS are to different showd, along with the fact that show was aimed more at older kids.

I don't know how you 2 mannaged to think SS has gotten away from it's inner city roots.

The whole purpose was to uplift those who were from such enviorments and perhaps make them see that rundown crime infested living and doing certain things is wrong.

Now maybe they're gone overboard in certain instances and maybe you're not all wrong in how you feel about things.

But this hostility you have for all these changes is just assinine and if they feel they have to change things for today's kids, including those from the not so nice part of town, then so be it.

Also getting back to Fat Albert, I think they made a lot of good from the junk that they found if I can remember right.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not that you haven't made a point somewhere in there... but when the heck did I say that it was a crime ridden slum? I said it was an inner city apartment, as opposed to a suburban street where Hoopers should be replaced by a Starbucks.

It really seems the message of talking to these people who live in peaceful, yet not upper-middle class settings is being ignored specifically to talk to the upper-middle class. I mean, talking about Yoga and sushi last year? How about making Oscar move into a recycling bin while they're at it? The whole show refuses to deal with anyone who belongs to an "unpleasant" group, and I think that's a disappointment. In the old episodes, they showed people who lived in houses, in cities, in apartments, in farms... no one was left out.

And frankly, when smaller city blocks like that get "nice" they raise all the rents. I doubt any of them could even afford to live on SS now.

All I'm saying is they can still be inner city, they can talk to all their focus groups... they just shouldn't be pressured by upper middle class parental groups.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The whole purpose was to uplift those who were from such enviorments and perhaps make them see that rundown crime infested living and doing certain things is wrong.
I don't think those kids who were playing in the construction area needed to be told it was "wrong." They were forced to play in dangerous areas like that because they lived in poverty. There was no other place for them to go. They weren't committing any crimes. Except the crime of being poor. Sesame Street's purpose has never been to tell poor people they were "wrong." People don't ask to be poor.

Sesame Street was simply trying to bring education to a needy enviornment. Not go around telling children they were "wrong" for being poor. Children have very little say in the matter.

And yes if they want to make changes to the show, that is their business. But not every change should be supported just because they say so. It's not "Sesame Street, right or wrong." When it's wrong, something needs to be said.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
It's not that you haven't made a point somewhere in there... but when the heck did I say that it was a crime ridden slum? I said it was an inner city apartment, as opposed to a suburban street where Hoopers should be replaced by a Starbucks.

It really seems the message of talking to these people who live in peaceful, yet not upper-middle class settings is being ignored specifically to talk to the upper-middle class. I mean, talking about Yoga and sushi last year? How about making Oscar move into a recycling bin while they're at it? The whole show refuses to deal with anyone who belongs to an "unpleasant" group, and I think that's a disappointment.
I think that's all in your head so stop looking at it in such a manner.

Also reading more of what you said, how do you know the show is just being pressured by those higher up?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't think those kids who were playing in the construction area needed to be told it was "wrong." They were forced to play in dangerous areas like that because they lived in poverty. There was no other place for them to go. They weren't committing any crimes. Except the crime of being poor. Sesame Street's purpose has never been to tell poor people they were "wrong." People don't ask to be poor.

Sesame Street was simply trying to bring education to a needy enviornment. Not go around telling children they were "wrong" for being poor.

No one's forced to play in places that are dangerous. I sure there are a lot of parents who don't want there kids playing in places that are dangerous so stop repeating that.

SS was simply bringing education to a needy enviorment so maybe they could become educated so they could have the skills to improve themselves and not have to live in such conditions.

The whole point of SS from the beginning was to uplift those in such places and I don't think you 2 seem to realize this.

You both seem to have a very unhealthy way of looking at the whole matter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You both seem to have a very unhealthy way of looking at the whole matter.
This from the guy who derails thread with his foot and tickle fetishes on a FAMILY WEBSITE.

I;m sorry, but you clearly have NO knowledge of how American kid's programming works. Why do I think they're constantly pressured? Because EVERY kid's show is constantly pressured by tiny, annoying little fungusy groups that don't want their kids exposed to anything realistic.

Why do you even bother reading stuff if it gets you upset, and you do nothing... NOTHING but argue with little logic and offensive angry nonsense? Really. This conversation is over, and this thread is as good as closed.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No one's forced to play in places that are dangerous. I sure there are a lot of parents who don't want there kids playing in places that are dangerous so stop repeating that.
I'm sure there are too. But if you live in a disadvantaged area, you don't always have better choices handed to you. People who are lucky enough to live in more middle class communities don't always understand the trials working class people have to face.

I do agree with you that Sesame Street's purpose was to uplift people from poverty striken areas, that's absolutely true. I'm just saying we can't ignore the realities of poverty. People don't ask to be poor. And they're not always given choices. That's why Sesame Street was so unusual, because no one was catering to the needs of the inner city.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure there are too. But if you live in a disadvantaged area, you don't always have better choices handed to you. People who are lucky enough to live in more middle class communities don't always understand the trials working class people have to face.
Herald... do what I'm about to do... put him in your ignore box. Clearly, one would have more luck arguing with a paper bag. This member does nothing but troll around and moan and whine about how any intelligent or innocent conversation bothers him supposedly. Ignoring is the best medicine for that.

And mike... real mature slinging insults in your comments like that. Really.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The thread started good enough. Should we delete all but the first few posts to keep this all on track? The argument was really uncalled for, I see where it began and I know the SS history enough to know what was right or wrong about it, so it's my opinion to delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.