Commercial rant time...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, if we're gonna get on that then, I HATE those commercials that clearly rip-off The Office. The awkward pauses and extreme reality isn't the only thing to that show, you know. It's the drama and comedy intertwining and the wonderful cast of scarily realistic characters.

And I also don't get those Trident commercials.... are they supposed to look like bad internet videos? I don't even watch REAL internet videos (minus Youtube Poop, of course.... as I do those).

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
What's with all the "stupid men" commercials? As Target Women said, they're cool and sophisticated until they get married, then it's like their brain decided to ditch.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's with all the "stupid men" commercials? As Target Women said, they're cool and sophisticated until they get married, then it's like their brain decided to ditch.
Reminds me of this sexist airhead a while back who tried to boycott that Multigrain Cheero's commercial (where the husband simply asks if his wife's trying to watch her wait, then she messes with his head about his question, while he was just mentioning he asked because of the things the box said) because he said men shouldn't be afraid of their wives, the wives should be afraid of their husbands.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Ah, you watch infoMania too?

Drtooth

Reaction score
he said men shouldn't be afraid of their wives, the wives should be afraid of their husbands.
Dear GOD.... that is the most backwards bullcrap I have ever heard. I bet he really abuses his wife (if he has one). Probably a product of those truck ads. :eek: Monsters like that can marry women and toss them into violent, fear based marriages. Yeah... that's fair.

Personally, I think it fits into one of those commercials that I'm talking about... women are brow beaten by the media to think that if they gain any kind of weight, no matter how old they are, how many kids they have, they have to drop it at once, and look like a super model 24/7. Then you can buy all the cereals and yogurts and not lose a single pound (maybe gain a couple) on these odd diets. I'd almost say that the commercial was an interesting twist on the idea of the women losing weight commercial... but the whole thing comes out stupid and painful to watch.

I know a lot of kid's commercials have a gender divide (mainly toy commercials... G.I. Joes and Ninja Turtles for boys, Strawberry Shortcakes and Ponies for the girls.. and I know quite a few female TMNT fans)... but those are innocuous compared to the drivel grown adults are subject to. Again, men are emasculated into buying stuff, women are told they'd lose their looks (and possibly their men or their ability to get men) if they don't buy up gas guzzling status symbols and boxes and boxes of diet cereals respectively.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Misandry (or male bashing if you prefer that term) is nothing new in ads, movies, TV shows, etc. It's been around for a while, but really started picking up in the mid 1990s and it's been "trendy" for many ads (not to mention the staple of America's "Funniest" Home Videos).

I made a post about it a while back:

"I can't, absolutely CAN'T stand any commercial that continuously uses obvious misandry and calls it "comedy" to sell a product. The father (or any guy) is always portrayed as a brainless clod while the woman shows "brainless clod male" what to do, usually humiliating, emasculating and/or embarrassing him. Sometimes this is accompanied by the man getting hurt in the...well, you know.

If the gender roles were reversed the ad companies would be in serious hot water! True, ads were offensive to women (and races in general) at one time, but merely switching the roles doesn't make the ads any funnier. Your regular Joe Blow is a person, too, and these commercials are everywhere.

See what I mean?

There was a Progressive Insurance commercial on a few years ago I don't think I can discuss here (this is a family forum after all and what happened to the guy in it was beyond unacceptable) but I was glad when it finally left the air."

I miss when commercials used to be innovative, funny and sell a product at the same time. Doesn't hurt to have some awesome celebrity appearances, too.

Here's a good example!

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dude... I'd so totally take the brainless clod white male (the only group you can make fun of, and make extremely flawed without some cockamamie group whining about it- check it out), than half the truck commercials I've seen.

I swear I remember seeing one that equated a modest, almost fuel efficient (more efficient than a truck) commercial with having toy poodles. I can't remember exactly what went down, but it was totally the most emasculating threat technique I've ever seen (not used by a Right Wing radio host :big_grin: snicker snicker).

I stand by my initial complain. Kids only fear not being cool and not having the latest stuff. Adults fear multi-leveled concepts that play right at their deepest psyches. Men are afraid of not being manly, ultramasculine and all that, and women are afraid of not being attractive and not keeping or getting a man... in general, of course. And advertisers know that.

On that subject, I hate those Lean Cuisine commercials that somehow hint that single women need men in their lives, and yet are too good for them at the same time. The women's commercials give such vicious mixed messages.

(I wish I went to psychiatry school)

Convincing John

Reaction score
I stand by my initial complain. Kids only fear not being cool and not having the latest stuff.
I agree with you there. I used to be a teacher, so I saw all this close up.

The gender divide is evident in a lot of ads for kids...not all, (sugary cereals, amusement parks, etc.) but a lot of them.

Then there are those commercials designed to be just plain disturbing. The weird Burger King tops 'em all, but I was so glad when they stopped showing that Quizno's Sub ad with those things that looked like mutilated mice. Didn't make me want a Quizno's sub, that's for sure. It just reminded me of something you'd find rotting in the mousetrap...yecch!

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with you there. I used to be a teacher, so I saw all this close up.

The gender divide is evident in a lot of ads for kids...not all, (sugary cereals, amusement parks, etc.) but a lot of them.
I think the gender devide in kid's commercials is almost innocent, compared to what's going on with adults... I truly do. It's basically just for movies and toys and games and stuff. I do think they force gender roles... but nothing as harsh as the emasculation for adult male commercials or the spinster fear mongering and Pocrescophobia (fear of gaining weight). As I said, boys have to have G.I. Joes and Girls have to have Barbies. And frankly, other than Bratz inflicting kids to be vapid, suggestively dressed bimbos, I just don't see anything overly evil about it.