D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I for one, really have my hopes up. It sounds good to me!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I agree with frogboy. I think the YouTube videos are some of the purest Muppet stuff we've seen in a long time. Not only like Sam & Friends bits, but like the stuff they used to do on the Ed Sullivan Show and other variety shows in their days.

And I don't care what anybody else says, I liked Letters to Santa. It wasn't the best thing they've ever done, obviously, but I liked it a lot.

:stick_out_tongue:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I agree with frogboy. I think the YouTube videos are some of the purest Muppet stuff we've seen in a long time. Not only like Sam & Friends bits, but like the stuff they used to do on the Ed Sullivan Show and other variety shows in their days.

And I don't care what anybody else says, I liked Letters to Santa. It wasn't the best thing they've ever done, obviously, but I liked it a lot.

:stick_out_tongue:
Agreed on both fronts! People just need to get off of their high horses and realize quality Muppet entertainment when they see it!

ploobis

Reaction score
Me and my family LOVED Letters To Santa! And I can't wait to pick up the DVD! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think you're being a little negative but I understand it. We've been burned in the past. .

Negative? that's what I like to call fair weather fandom... and I've seen so much of it here, it makes me physically ill. WAAA WAAAA WAAA! We're never going to have another movie EXACTLY EXACTLY like The Muppet Movie ever... got some news for you... Jim's been gone for 20 years now. Get over it. Saying we should kill all the new products and projects because they don't quite measure up is effectively spitting on his legacy. Sure... we've been through crap before. Guess what? It happens with EVERY entertainment franchise. Heck, the Looney Tunes have had it a million times worse. Loonatics? Baby Looney Tunes? Gender Confused Tweety? The only post Jim Muppet project I think was a total waste was Oz, and that was because it was a miserable idea to begin with.

Even if he was still around, Hollywood would keep giving him the brush off... NBC pretty much treated the Jim Henson Hour like it was on another network. Even Muppets Tonight got a better chance. We have a very cruddy media landscape out there... reality shows, knock offs of knock offs... There's like... what, like 3 good shows on? I couldn't see a new Muppet show lasting a week before they dump all the episodes on Summer replacement marathons so they can make room for "Who wants to thrwo a rock at Fat people?" or "Who wants to marry an ex-convict on a fake Japanese Gameshow?" It's horrible out there. And what do they do? Create a Muppet website devoted to videos that are the best things I've seen come out of the franchise in years.

This whining and moaning and groaning is NOTHING but counter productive. All it's gonna do is tell Disney that we're never going to be happy with anything, they'll shove the Muppets in the Disney Vault and keep trotting out some identical looking starlet to lip sync to horrendous music written by 50 year old out of touch white guys that use the word "Bling" every other sentence. I'm sorry, but this is no time to have yet another whine fest. Unless you want another 5+ year blackout like what happened after no one liked Oz.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Negative? that's what I like to call fair weather fandom... and I've seen so much of it here, it makes me physically ill. WAAA WAAAA WAAA! We're never going to have another movie EXACTLY EXACTLY like The Muppet Movie ever... got some news for you... Jim's been gone for 20 years now. Get over it. Saying we should kill all the new products and projects because they don't quite measure up is effectively spitting on his legacy. Sure... we've been through crap before. Guess what? It happens with EVERY entertainment franchise. Heck, the Looney Tunes have had it a million times worse. Loonatics? Baby Looney Tunes? Gender Confused Tweety? The only post Jim Muppet project I think was a total waste was Oz, and that was because it was a miserable idea to begin with.

Even if he was still around, Hollywood would keep giving him the brush off... NBC pretty much treated the Jim Henson Hour like it was on another network. Even Muppets Tonight got a better chance. We have a very cruddy media landscape out there... reality shows, knock offs of knock offs... There's like... what, like 3 good shows on? I couldn't see a new Muppet show lasting a week before they dump all the episodes on Summer replacement marathons so they can make room for "Who wants to thrwo a rock at Fat people?" or "Who wants to marry an ex-convict on a fake Japanese Gameshow?" It's horrible out there. And what do they do? Create a Muppet website devoted to videos that are the best things I've seen come out of the franchise in years.

This whining and moaning and groaning is NOTHING but counter productive. All it's gonna do is tell Disney that we're never going to be happy with anything, they'll shove the Muppets in the Disney Vault and keep trotting out some identical looking starlet to lip sync to horrendous music written by 50 year old out of touch white guys that use the word "Bling" every other sentence. I'm sorry, but this is no time to have yet another whine fest. Unless you want another 5+ year blackout like what happened after no one liked Oz.
amen brother