D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

beaker

Reaction score
And TRUST me on this one.... I'm a TMNT fan. We complained our butts off about the movie, the TV show, the DVD releases, the toys... and guess what we have for the amazing 25th anniversary? A couple sexual innuendo magnets, a couple t-shirts at hot Topic, and a DTV movie that's been done, but no one's going to distribute it. The series is over, we got no sequal to TMNT, there isn't any toy line anymore... there's nothing left./ Sure, we got some reprint comics... but that's about it. Poser merchandise from hot Topic people who weren't even alive in the 80's wear because it's cool. I DO NOT want to see that happen here.
Um, what? Who was complaining about the 2007 TMNT fan? I consider it one of the best films of 2007 period, and to me its the absolute best theatrical release since the original. I could not have asked for a more amazing TMNT film experience. Who are these people complaining? The 2003 series and Fast Forward toys were amazing, and while I dont care for the 2007-present
figures...least TMNT is still out there. Go to Hot Topic and they are awash in 80's TMNT nostalgia.

As a fan of the TMNT since the black and white comic days, I can say these things go in waves. Theres the 87-93 period,
the ill fated 96-98 attempt(when Image comics tried to reinvent the turtles and then next mutation and the next mutation straight to video movie) and of course the glorious 2003-2007 period. We have the Smash Up game out, Turtles In Time xbox arcade remake, we have two new TMNT arcade styled games coming out next year. A live action movie in 2011. How are things not good for TMNT fandom?

We've seen LTS... we've read the comics. We've seen the web videos. That proves they can do it right. I say we give them a chance here... at least. Wait for the next project... and if it gets canceled or sucks, THEN we can complain.
Absolutely. I cant say enough good things about LTS(tho it was a bit short), the comics or muppets.com sketches. These three things alone make me an unbelievably happy Muppet fan.

However, we'll soon see what the future will be...

muppets2

Reaction score
wow :eek::eek::eek:

(do any of you guys have a guess who should take his place?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Um, what? Who was complaining about the 2007 TMNT fan? I consider it one of the best films of 2007 period, and to me its the absolute best theatrical release since the original. I could not have asked for a more amazing TMNT film experience. Who are these people complaining? The 2003 series and Fast Forward toys were amazing, and while I dont care for the 2007-present
figures...least TMNT is still out there. Go to Hot Topic and they are awash in 80's TMNT nostalgia.

As a fan of the TMNT since the black and white comic days, I can say these things go in waves. Theres the 87-93 period,
the ill fated 96-98 attempt(when Image comics tried to reinvent the turtles and then next mutation and the next mutation straight to video movie) and of course the glorious 2003-2007 period. We have the Smash Up game out, Turtles In Time xbox arcade remake, we have two new TMNT arcade styled games coming out next year. A live action movie in 2011. How are things not good for TMNT fandom?
Off topic... but there was to be a LOT more, especially more toys. And yes, while I felt the endless parade of overpriced movie figures was annoying, pointless, and a pain in the shell (mostly about the whopping 10 dollar price tags)... and the cartoons took a huge hit when they got a new S&P person at the network (who kept the staff on a short leash)... seemed every time there was a complaint, we lost something. I'm afraid the same could happen here. Sure, there is some cool stuff... shirts, posters, comics, a movie that may or may not happen, and a DTV/Telefilm to air Lord knows when... but there was gonna be so so much more... They didn't even finish releasing the old TMNT figure rereleases. I was looking forward to Casey.

Disney studio chief Dick Cook to step down!
What does this mean for the Muppets and other Disney properties? Did he not wow enough execs at D23?
That does worry me and all... but I have a feeling that he was planning to do that for a while. No one just steps down with no reason... people usually step down when they screw something up royally, or do something... well... controversial, wrong, or any other wise firable... of he could be a sacrificial lamb. There are a LOT of those in the business (especially the entertainment business) world.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Off topic... but there was to be a LOT more, especially more toys. And yes, while I felt the endless parade of overpriced movie figures was annoying, pointless, and a pain in the shell (mostly about the whopping 10 dollar price tags)... and the cartoons took a huge hit when they got a new S&P person at the network (who kept the staff on a short leash)... seemed every time there was a complaint, we lost something. I'm afraid the same could happen here. Sure, there is some cool stuff... shirts, posters, comics, a movie that may or may not happen, and a DTV/Telefilm to air Lord knows when... but there was gonna be so so much more... They didn't even finish releasing the old TMNT figure rereleases. I was looking forward to Casey.

That does worry me and all... but I have a feeling that he was planning to do that for a while. No one just steps down with no reason... people usually step down when they screw something up royally, or do something... well... controversial, wrong, or any other wise firable... of he could be a sacrificial lamb. There are a LOT of those in the business (especially the entertainment business) world.
The thing that concerns me is that he specifically introduced the Cheapest Muppet Movie project. I hope it isn't his personally green-lit project because incoming execs often like to shelve things that came before. I'm likely overreacting, but it does happen.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
For those of you complain about this...that's enough! Come on you guys! Get into a positive routine. Disney was trying to make it up to us after their mistake for doing Muppets Wizard of Oz. And they are bringing back the classic Muppets. And I hope it includes the cute and cuddly brown dog, Rowlf. So, as soon as the year of 2010 comes, think positive and give Disney a second chance for the new movie.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
For those of you complain about this...that's enough! Come on you guys! Get into a positive routine. Disney was trying to make it up to us after their mistake for doing Muppets Wizard of Oz. And they are bringing back the classic Muppets. And I hope it includes the cute and cuddly brown dog, Rowlf. So, as soon as the year of 2010 comes, think positive and give Disney a second chance for the new movie.
I don't think anyone's being negative about the movie. On the contrary - everyone seems very excited. We just hope that the Muppets will be performed by the crew that's been keeping the tradition alive for the past 19 years since Jim.

unclematt

Reaction score
Frank Oz should take his place. LOL. Wouldn't that be the perfect world.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's being negative about the movie. On the contrary - everyone seems very excited. We just hope that the Muppets will be performed by the crew that's been keeping the tradition alive for the past 19 years since Jim.

The negative comments stem from the same people who say the same stuff. The same comments about how the current Muppet projects aren't the same as the ones Jim did. And I'm gonna agree with Insider here... Jim's gone.

Now the negativity spread all over this whole wrong sounding Kermin stuff. I think the fandom's worried that this will be a permanent thing, and not a just some random understudy stuff. And the worst part is we probably won't know anything for a while at least. And that's where some of the negativity's coming from.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Disney studio chief Dick Cook to step down!

:eek: What does this mean for the Muppets and other Disney properties? Did he not wow enough execs at D23? :confused:
That... could be worrisome. Hopefully it won't effect any Muppet projects.

According to Muppet Wiki, Artie performed (and sang for) Kermit at D23. It was added by scarecroe, so it wasn't just some rumor added to the page.

I re-watched the video before looking this up, cuz it didn't sound like Steve to me the first time I watched it. It still didn't. I think this is the best of Artie's performances (what little one can actually see of it on youtube) but I'm not all on board with it. Perhaps Artie does really well with Kermit when he can imitate stuff Kermit's already done, such as Rainbow Connection (it's a lot easier to imitate the phrases of a character than it is to use a character's voice to make up your own stuff). I dunno. His work on AGT and the VMAs was awful... but he had some of our own fooled at D23. This is all very confusing.