D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

Nick22

Reaction score
That's very pessimistic. And why bring God into it? I'm 35 so does that mean I have more of a right to complain than you do? I agree with many of the points to some degree, but that post as a whole - sorry, but - ick. :grouchy:
i agree. i understand little rants, but petrieboy, give me a freakin break. we rully don't want your negativity. and just cause i'm in 7th grade, doesn't give me less of a right to complain. and just cause i haven't spent as much money on Muppet mercahdise, doesnt mean i have less right to complain. and as frogboy said, why bring God into this? and why bring junk food into this?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
i agree. i understand little rants, but petrieboy, give me a freakin break. we rully don't want your negativity. and just cause i'm in 7th grade, doesn't give me less of a right to complain. and just cause i haven't spent as much money on Muppet mercahdise, doesnt mean i have less right to complain. and as frogboy said, why bring God into this? and why bring junk food into this?
...well corn syrup is evil. He he. :embarrassed:

I kind of look at Muppet fans like Star Wars fans. Some grew up with the classic trilogy, some grew up with the second trilogy and some were first introduced to the characters with the Ewok cartoon. Of course the classic trilogy is the best because it's what spawned everything else, but there's value in all of it and fans of all generations. Many younger-gen fans like the classic stuff the best too. It's all relative.

:coy: "There are no rules, and those are the rules." - Cantus

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LIAR! You look like you're barely out of college:smile:
He he. The magic of sunscreen. :embarrassed:

Honestly, I think the Calfornia weather has something to do with that. There's a whole culture of people like us.

Anyway, I still think the Sarah Marshall writers could do a good Muppet piece. Anyone who watched the closing number of that film should be able to see the Muppety potential. I doubt anyone but Kermit and Fozzie Bear will walk around nekkid in the new movie. But who knows? Wardrobe is part of a budget that Gonzo blows at the beginning of the film! :eek:

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Well Jim's children sold them, twice ... so that ships sailed.
Hahaha! That was funny (and true) :wink:

I was incredibly excited when I head Jason Segel was going to be a part of the new Muppet movie, and I hope that he will continue to be involved in Cheapest. He is part of a very popular comedic trend right now. Sarah Marshall and I Love You Man both did better than expected, and with The Hangover being the breakout hit of the summer (not Segel-related, but the same vein of comedy), he is a hot commodity. His name recognition alone would get a good number of 18 - 30 year olds in the theater.

And as far as his humor is concerned, yes, Sarah Marshall had some crass humor, but it was a rated-R adult comedy. He's not going to make the same kind of jokes on a Muppet movie that he did in that. And one of the things I loved about Sarah Marshall is that it retained a lot of heart. Even though it was an adult comedy, with foul language and low-brow humor, the relationships in the movie were quite lovely. Peter and Sarah's relationship was complicated and messy, but it was obvious that they continued to care for each other. It would've been easy to write her off as the mean girl who broke his heart, but Segel went out of his way to give Sarah a moment to explain what led her to cheating on Peter, highlighting Peter's own flaws. Peter and Rachel formed a very sweet friendship, first, and then a romantic relationship. Even the supporting characters form wonderful friendships that are fun to watch. It's well-written and put together nicely. I think he has the perfect background to write about the Muppets. Their relationships with each other are also sometimes complicated, but they all need each other. I think he'd get that.

I forgot where this was going. Yay Jason Segel, I hope he's still with the project!

beaker

Reaction score
And as far as his humor is concerned, yes, Sarah Marshall had some crass humor, but it was a rated-R adult comedy. He's not going to make the same kind of jokes on a Muppet movie that he did in that. And one of the things I loved about Sarah Marshall is that it retained a lot of heart. Even though it was an adult comedy, with foul language and low-brow humor, the relationships in the movie were quite lovely. Peter and Sarah's relationship was complicated and messy, but it was obvious that they continued to care for each other. It would've been easy to write her off as the mean girl who broke his heart, but Segel went out of his way to give Sarah a moment to explain what led her to cheating on Peter, highlighting Peter's own flaws. Peter and Rachel formed a very sweet friendship, first, and then a romantic relationship. Even the supporting characters form wonderful friendships that are fun to watch. It's well-written and put together nicely. I think he has the perfect background to write about the Muppets. Their relationships with each other are also sometimes complicated, but they all need each other. I think he'd get that.

I forgot where this was going. Yay Jason Segel, I hope he's still with the project!
Forgetting Sarah Marshall had to be the most sexually frank film comedy Ive seen in years, heh. I loved how they even referenced Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show theme, etc. And then the puppet musical.

However Sarah, if you want heart...you NEED to see the newerish Judd Apatow dramedy "Funny People". Best darn Apatow film ever.

Id love to see a pg Muppet film with Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, etc!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kind of look at Muppet fans like Star Wars fans. Some grew up with the classic trilogy, some grew up with the second trilogy and some were first introduced to the characters with the Ewok cartoon. Of course the classic trilogy is the best because it's what spawned everything else, but there's value in all of it and fans of all generations. Many younger-gen fans like the classic stuff the best too. It's all relative.
Funny you should mention Star Wars... You see, the Muppets and bad projects of late and all that blah blah blah... Jim wasn't behind the latest batch. That's a given. But George Lucas WAS behind Jar Jar Binks, the Chinese stereotype guys, the 90 minute NasPod movie... action figures of every single character that had less than a split second on screen. Even in the hands of the original creator, you're not going to get the same quality. And in the case of George (as well as Steven Spielberg), they even went back and fussed over their old work, adding scenes that needn't be added, changing encounters (George), and replacing, re-editing, and ruining a classic (Steven, with E.T. that foul mouth portion at the breakfast table SHOULD have been left in... I'm sorry... wait... no I'm NOT!)

I was incredibly excited when I head Jason Segel was going to be a part of the new Muppet movie, and I hope that he will continue to be involved in Cheapest. He is part of a very popular comedic trend right now. Sarah Marshall and I Love You Man both did better than expected, and with The Hangover being the breakout hit of the summer (not Segel-related, but the same vein of comedy), he is a hot commodity. His name recognition alone would get a good number of 18 - 30 year olds in the theater.
I have no doubt in my mind that IF they were still involved (Dw brought up an excellent point that they weren't named dropped for Cheapest at the D23), they'd give the fans EXACTLY what we;ve been screaming for. Why? because Jason has expressed his displeasure for the newer Muppet films in almost every single press release since he announced the project.

I agree... the Pop Culture stuff needs to go, and we need more Musical numbers that get your toes tapping (none of that Oz stuff). I will say this... (considering I've been beating up the Oz movie a lot lately) no matter what, we'll never get another horrid film like Oz again. VMX had a lot of pop culturey things (in a Simpsons/Early Family Guy way) that just seem dated now.... the entire scene with Fozzie trying to get the money to Miss Bitterman.... but if you take all that out of VMX, you'd still have a movie with some heart to it. Take all the pop culture stuff out of Oz, and you basically get a standard Saturday Morning Cartoon retelling/parody of Wizard of Oz, and not too much more. That movie was awash in at the momentness... whole thing tied in with American idol? No thank you.

Other than giving some of their friends cameos, I just don't see them doing anything like that with this movie... that is, provided both are still connected to the project.

hoopless

Reaction score
Forgetting Sarah Marshall had to be the most sexually frank film comedy Ive seen in years, heh. I loved how they even referenced Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show theme, etc. And then the puppet musical.
I think the Dracula musical alone shows what good hands the muppets would be in if Segel is still connected. He clearly loves them and IMO is capable of honoring them (and us) with a great new movie.

unclematt

Reaction score
I didn't realize that there was a chance that Segel was no longer tied to the new Muppet movie. Do we have any solid news on if he is or isn't? If anybody has anything solid could they please report it here.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
the entire scene with Fozzie trying to get the money to Miss Bitterman....
Really? I thought the scene with the lasers in the hallway was one of the funniest parts of the whole film.