Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
Hey, D.W. I did see your posts on "Kismet" and the vast Muppet Show Comic Book conspiracy theory -- very entertaining! I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates you lightening the tone and keeping things optimistic.

Sadly, I think it's pretty unlikely that this is part of some big stunt. I can't imagine Disney saying to millions of AGT viewers, "Ha ha, fooled you!" only to add, "Don't worry, you'll all be in on the joke if you go out and buy this comic."

I just don't like Disney messing with the identity of a character like Kermit, whatever the reason behind it.

Haydensmommy

Reaction score
If Disney decides to recast Kermit, do you think Steve will still do Ernie? From what I understand from the book that came out earlier this year, Jim Henson made sure that Disney couldn't buy the Sesame Street characters. He said they belong to the children. I also didn't think Disney owned all of the rights to the Muppets, just a small part.

muppets2

Reaction score
no he probably wouldn't do ernie if he didnt do kermit he wouldn't quit i think:eek:

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
If Disney decides to recast Kermit, do you think Steve will still do Ernie?
Sesame Workshop owns Ernie and they're free to cast their own performers.

Disney owns the "classic" Muppet characters, along with Bear in the Big Blue House and several others.

So what Disney does with Kermit doesn't effect what happens to Ernie.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
Is the "new" Kermit this one at the MTV VMA pre show?
Yes, Heralde, the YouTube clip you linked to is Artie Esposito.

The "new" Kermit is constantly twitching, moving and stuttering, even when he has nothing to say. He has no comic timing, and -- worst of all -- apparently if you lean your face close enough, he'll kiss you on the mouth without a second thought.

I have to admit that did remind me a lot of Jim, I liked it a lot.
I don't want Kermit to remind me of anyone, I want him to be Kermit. And nothing he does in that clip is the Kermit I know.

dwmckim

Reaction score
If Disney decides to recast Kermit, do you think Steve will still do Ernie? From what I understand from the book that came out earlier this year, Jim Henson made sure that Disney couldn't buy the Sesame Street characters. He said they belong to the children. I also didn't think Disney owned all of the rights to the Muppets, just a small part.
Well, that all depends on what IS actually going on with Steve. Is his recent absence as Kermit a "Disney thing" or is something wrong with Steve? If this is a case of Disney replacing Steve, then there should be no effect on Steve's playing Ernie since Sesame Workshop and Disney are two seperate entities (and by the same token would not affect Steve's ability to do things with Henson Company such as the Fraggle Rock movie). In fact if it turns out that this was a Disney decision, we may see MORE Ernie because Steve would have less scheduling conflicts.

If however something is going on with Steve himself, Sesame may find themselves in the same situation of having to recast.

MUPPETMONKEY

Reaction score
My two cents (and a half)

Yes, It's true..Artie, (if it was him), was trying to imitate Jim.....just trying...to.
He also moved Kermit too much, like if he was nervous of performing Kermit on TV

All confusion aside, I remember having the exact same reaction when I heard Steve's voice for the first time in that 90's Henson tribute. I was in shock! Who's this guy? He's not Kermit! Up to some point I thought it was Frank Welker.

Now, over the years, Steve got Kermit's movements and reactions just fine. Still he ads his own touch to the frog which we still notice. But the honest truth, and let's face it... after so many movies, specials and appereances...we got used to Steve.
Disney could find someone with the same vocal chords of Jim and we'll react the same way. "Who's this guy?"

Ironically, Many years ago I though no one will NEVER EVER replace Frank Oz and..BOOM! Out of the blue Eric Jacobson appeared performing Oz' characters to perfection!

Makes you wonder who will replace Dave Goelz in the future.

We are in for maaany changes.

By the way..Am I the only one who finds the new Animal puppet too "hairy"?

muppets2

Reaction score
no i thought there was too much hair on animal too:halo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Kynan Barker said:
I don't want Kermit to remind me of anyone, I want him to be Kermit. And nothing he does in that clip is the Kermit I know.
Well the thing is, for me Kermit is Jim Henson. So for me anyone else who does it is imitating and "reminding." That's just how it is for me. But in this performance, the vibe just felt very right.

I won't compare performers too much, they're all professionals, we can't get up and do what they do. I'm just saying what my gut reaction was to this.