See?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still open... I'm shocked, lol.

I have to admit Jamie, your post about being gay is a way of life, not a lifestyle or a life preference was rather insightful, though I'm sorry I chuckled a little when you said "its a way of like", I'm sorry, but that's always such a running gag in entertainment - "It's not just a whatever, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!" But in all seriousness, what you said makes sense, I know a lot of scientists try to find "genes" that make you gay, while at the same time, religious leaders would argue that they could be straight, but choose not to, but in all honesty, how DO we CHOOSE part of our personalities and who we are? Unless someone were so clueless in the subject of love to say "eh, I'm not having any luck with the opposite sex, maybe I'll try the same sex for a change", you really can't choose whether or not you're straight, gay, bi, confused, etc. I know I've said this before, but I have to say I'm still appauled at the way so many conservative Christians handle the subject of homosexuality; they seem to overlook a few of the Lord's teachings when it comes to gay people, because as God's children, we are to love one another as we would love ourselves, and as such, we're not to be judgemental of other people... somehow that's getting lost in translation, because you've got all of these extreme religious groups bashing gays simply for being gay, but God is not about hate, God is about love. I could go on about the issue, but I'm not here to preach, and playing on both sides of the fence can be an issue in its own right - as always, for more of my insight on this, look for a blog entry I did years ago.

And I have to say, I've been down a similar road RedPiggy mentioned, though not Muppet-related, it still was in the fanfic world; one key scene in a fanfic I wrote involves two distressed characters (of the same gender) in a very bleak, and hopeless situation, with one trying hard to comfort the other, while trying not to break down herself... that is all it was supposed to be, a simple comfort scene between two upset individuals, though so many others saw something extra in that scene. That actually was my fault, I had previously put the two in bed with each other for an illustration, but again, and while it was somewhat kinky, it wasn't meant to be taken THAT far... as a result, after that pic was seen, a lot of those same people felt there were undertones to the comfort scene, though it wasn't my intention. Again, I'm mostly a writer of comedy, but occasionally I HAVE to branch out, expand and challenge myself in new ways, so drama's a bit of a stretch for me, but I try. I guess it's a good thing I never try to come up with a lot of Muppet fanfics, hardly anybody seems to read my fics here anyway, but then again, I'm not a part of the fanfic clique here, and as such, my stories tend to go un-noticed, but that's okay.

I don't think any of what I just said makes sense, or if I'm still brain-rattled from working my butt off practically all day yesterday and not getting to bed until 3:00 am...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
because as God's children, we are to love one another as we would love ourselves, and as such, we're not to be judgemental of other people... somehow that's getting lost in translation, because you've got all of these extreme religious groups bashing gays simply for being gay, but God is not about hate, God is about love.
Very well put! Well you know it's usually the extremes of either (and any) group that cause the problems.

I just saw an old silent film from 1929 about the fight between an extremist athiest and extremist religious person. The subtitle described them as "Intolerence vs. Intolerence." I think that says it all. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That makes sense to me; I have to admit, with the exception of some who purposely look for trouble, ala "The Amazing Atheist" from YouTube, I've found that often times, it's the atheists who are more compassionate and tolerant towards all kinds of people, in general, than Christians.

But yes, once again, it's the extremes of each group that are the sources of the problems and issues, and the extremes are usually very narrow and closed minded about said issues; being the rare seed that I am (yes Virginia, Liberal Christians do exist), I tend to and try to be a bit more open minded about such touchy, and sensitive issues... after all, again, we're ALL God's children, and it takes ALL of God's children to make the world go 'round.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That makes sense to me; I have to admit, with the exception of some who purposely look for trouble, ala "The Amazing Atheist" from YouTube, I've found that often times, it's the atheists who are more compassionate and tolerant towards all kinds of people, in general, than Christians.
Yeah I mean obviously I see both intolerance and compassion from both sides at different times, depending on the person and situation. People are people. We just like to put labels on ourselves and each other and that causes much of the confusion, hehe.

being the rare seed that I am (yes Virginia, Liberal Christians do exist), I tend to and try to be a bit more open minded about such touchy, and sensitive issues... after all, again, we're ALL God's children, and it takes ALL of God's children to make the world go 'round.
I like to describe myself as a Hippie Christian, though I think I might have gotten that from a Tough Pigs article awhile back, lol.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The other thread was closed because: (1) the main issue of the Robot Chicken discussion was re-opened and (2) members were attacking other members personal lifestyle preferences which as we all know is against the rules.
As I said earlier: just because (1) someone's initial question has been answer or the main issue of a thead has passed, why shut down any further discussion from occuring? And (2) if a member has crossed the line, is attacking others, and is breaking the rules, then deal with that individual and those posts. Why stop all the rule-abiding members from discussing an issue just because one person comes in and oversteps the rules? Don't punish everyone just because one or two people can't behave.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
As I said earlier: just because (1) someone's initial question has been answer or the main issue of a thead has passed, why shut down any further discussion from occuring? And (2) if a member has crossed the line, is attacking others, and is breaking the rules, then deal with that individual and those posts. Why stop all the rule-abiding members from having discussing an issue just because one person comes in and oversteps the rules? Don't punish everyone just because one or two people can't behave.
Thank you for articulating exactly what turns me off about this site.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still open... I'm shocked, lol.

I have to admit Jamie, your post about being gay is a way of life, not a lifestyle or a life preference was rather insightful, though I'm sorry I chuckled a little when you said "its a way of like", I'm sorry, but that's always such a running gag in entertainment - "It's not just a whatever, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!" But in all seriousness, what you said makes sense, I know a lot of scientists try to find "genes" that make you gay, while at the same time, religious leaders would argue that they could be straight, but choose not to, but in all honesty, how DO we CHOOSE part of our personalities and who we are? Unless someone were so clueless in the subject of love to say "eh, I'm not having any luck with the opposite sex, maybe I'll try the same sex for a change", you really can't choose whether or not you're straight, gay, bi, confused, etc. I know I've said this before, but I have to say I'm still appauled at the way so many conservative Christians handle the subject of homosexuality; they seem to overlook a few of the Lord's teachings when it comes to gay people, because as God's children, we are to love one another as we would love ourselves, and as such, we're not to be judgemental of other people... somehow that's getting lost in translation, because you've got all of these extreme religious groups bashing gays simply for being gay, but God is not about hate, God is about love. I could go on about the issue, but I'm not here to preach, and playing on both sides of the fence can be an issue in its own right - as always, for more of my insight on this, look for a blog entry I did years ago.
:cool: Cool insight. That's always the weird debate. Militant people exist in all groups from gays to Christians and for some reason they're the ones pointed out as the average example rather than the extreme. Most people fall somewhere in the middle of things.

There are gay folk that like parades and parties just as their are Christians that like to hand out pamphlets and attend rallies. Ingraining those events into a life translates into a lifestyle and a choice. One person loving another person and the two people wanting to build a life together is a basic human need and not a lifestyle. There are many folk that disagree with gay relationships, but there are a lot of straight people we all know in relationships that don't seem right or ideal to us. But in the end it's not our business.

That's basically it. There are other technicalities and a lot of head butting in other areas, but that's what it boils down to. Acceptance and not conversion. We settle for tolerance, but much of that can be condescending and still leaves us with poor terms like "lifestyle" directed toward gay people.

Heck, if it were a lifestyle that would be easier, but in many ways it can be harder because acceptance doesn't come easily for us. After coming out to friends and family - some actually abandon us. Christianity isn't always embraced by families, but it usually is. There's a support system there that is lacking in the lives of many gay friends of mine. And then, of course there are many gay folk who see themselves as Christian as well. That's another can of worms I won't open. :eek:

Back to the point. I look at MC as a place for everyone and in order to get along we all have to make a few sacrifices. That's where I see imbalance at times. - - The deletion of posts won't bring us to a better understanding. That is certain.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's always the weird debate. Militant people exist in all groups from gays to Christians and for some reason they're the ones pointed out as the average example rather than the extreme. Most people fall somewhere in the middle of things.
Well let's face it, extremists are more fun to watch on TV. Average people are boring, hehe. :wink: