The New Movie: The Muppets

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
While I don't want to get into the "They HAVE to include my favorite underused Muppet" debate, I will say that I think Disney and Muppet fans underestimate the brand recognition of Rowlf.

I don't have much hard evidence to base this on, but he was around for so long, and was generally so well loved, that he really does have serious market penetration, so to speak.

However, it's also pretty well known that people saw him as Jim's character perhaps as much, or even more than Kermit. And while you can't have the Muppets without Kermit, it almost seemed like recasting Rowlf is something no one really wanted to do, and has proven difficult to do properly.

beaker

Reaction score
While I don't want to get into the "They HAVE to include my favorite underused Muppet" debate, I will say that I think Disney and Muppet fans underestimate the brand recognition of Rowlf.

I don't have much hard evidence to base this on, but he was around for so long, and was generally so well loved, that he really does have serious market penetration, so to speak.

However, it's also pretty well known that people saw him as Jim's character perhaps as much, or even more than Kermit. And while you can't have the Muppets without Kermit, it almost seemed like recasting Rowlf is something no one really wanted to do, and has proven difficult to do properly.
Oh I agree. Heck my mom strongly remembers seeing Rowlf on the Jimmy Dean show in the early 60's. I love how the Muppets have been around for five and a half decades.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That makes me wonder... about how major was Rowlf in Muppet movies? I mean, it goes without saying that MCC-Oz don't count, since he was pushed far into the background and only said "Hi Kermit" in VMX...

In TMM, he came about halfway into the movie where he sang that song with Kermit, and then joined the crew...

In GMC had had several lines in a song and was featured pretty much during the Mallory Gallery break in...

I can't say i totally remember what he did in MTM, but he was featured profusely in the movie.

But all and all, he really wasn't as majorly used as Gonzo, Kermit, Piggy or Fozzie or even Scooter were. And let's not forget that a lot of our other favorite characters, even when they were still performed by the original puppeteer had minor, if anything roles. In fact, Statler and Waldorf had bigger parts in the later movies, as did Honeydew and Beaker.

But I would really love to see Rowlf have a major scene where he has multiple lines of dialogue and sings. But I do think that we need a lot more Scooter as well.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
By the way, is The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made going to release 2010, 2011, or 2012?:confused:

ohtherain

Reaction score
They said it would be released in 2010 to theaters. However, I'm not sure about that date as no further information has been released.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
They said it would be released in 2010 to theaters. However, I'm not sure about that date as no further information has been released.
Who said that and when? That information is not factual at all. There's no confirmation date yet, unfortunately. I would be looking for 2011 or 2012.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm guessing 2010 will be the major spotlight return/comeback, and 2011 will be the theatrical release. And I'm guessing Disney will want a new Muppet tv series somewhere in between there.

ohtherain

Reaction score
Who said that and when? That information is not factual at all. There's no confirmation date yet, unfortunately. I would be looking for 2011 or 2012.
Oh! Must have been misinformed, but don't remember where I got that information from. Sorry! But I am excited for the movie.

Reaction score
There are several reasons I'm looking forward to a new movie.

Of course getting the movie is fantastic, but you can also hope to get T-Shirts, plushes, all that sort of merchandise if it's a hit.

One of the best parts is that the writers seem to really respect the early stuff, so they will probably be sticking to that sort of material. The recent Bohemian Rhapsody video had so many of the fantastic older characters, I feel it's likely we would be seeing them in the movie. I'm also curious of whether all the remaining Muppet performers will be back for this.