The New Movie: The Muppets

Puckrox

Reaction score
Really? I thought Murray had officially signed on to do the movie. Everyone made a big deal about it because he had held off for so long (because he "hates" sequels).

TSSD

Reaction score
Murray refuses to do it. I LOVE Bill Murray, but he's in his insufferable "I'm an artist that's so artistic that i don't even have to do anything anymore" phase.
Technicaly, he hasn't refused... He just hasn't read the script. That he has. And has had. For at least a month or two. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I LOVE Bill Murray, but he's in his insufferable "I'm an artist that's so artistic that i don't even have to do anything anymore" phase.
Well on the other hand, it's also annoying when truly good actors waste their talent on crappy films. Happens more times than I can comprehend!

Not specifically talking about a Ghostbusters movie, just saying. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well on the other hand, it's also annoying when truly good actors waste their talent on crappy films. Happens more times than I can comprehend!
HEY! Wait a second! This wasn't written by the Cohen Brothers! :mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah OK, well that says something right there, hehe.
Rest assured you never heard Murray's plea that he felt "horrible" that he did Garfield, because he only did it because he THOUGHT it was written by one of the Cohen brothers. SURE you did. Like there aren't a whole lot of writers named Cohen in Hollywood. :rolleyes:

Of course, he was probably the only one in those movies what did a decent job.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I know some people feel "The Muppets" (i have a feeling this is going to become forum-netiquette: placing "The Muppets" in quotes or italics when discussing the movie vs. the troupe...i really hope they rename the dang thing) is shunning the newer characters but at the same time - look at how many classic minor characters will be in it...ones that we NEVER thought we'd see again or would be rebuilt/refurbished or appear on the big screen - i'd say that right there is a huge tribute to the large cast of glorious characters that have made up the Muppet menagerie.
Can someone direct me to this list of the minor characters who are in, monsters in particular? For instance, I read the original draft and didn't see Uncle Deadly in it anywhere.

*crosses fingers for Thog*

*and the Mutations*

*and just about all the other monsters*

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

dwmckim

Reaction score
I read the original draft and didn't see Uncle Deadly in it anywhere.
Aye, but there's the rub. You read the *original* draft - and movies always change between first to final draft and finished edit! Especially in a case like this where the main author is a freelance outsider so you saw the script before it was passed though the people at Disney and Muppets Studio and before they found a director who was even more a Muppet Freak than the authors! You're right - Deadly was not in the original draft. Jason mentioned in an interview several months back (which got everyone excited) about how director Bobin knew all this Muppet trivia and characters that even he didn't and cited as an example where at one point in reading the script, Bobin mentioned, "You know, this would be a perfect place for Uncle Deadly". We all thought it was great that Deadly would be in the movie and were expecting it to be a single line or something but after shooting photos starting leaking out and Chris Cooper gave an interview talking about his part in the movie, it looks like Deadly's got a more substantial part as his sidekick. (psst...btw, you wouldn't happen to still have a copy of that original draft, do you?)

*crosses fingers for Thog*
Why, David - i'm surprised! For years, you've been one of the biggest advocates for rebuilding Thog and you haven't seen that glorious photo of The Muppets filming on Hollywood Blvd with an unmistakable Thog towering over the group? Cross those fingers no more!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Aye, but there's the rub. You read the *original* draft - and movies always change between first to final draft and finished edit! Especially in a case like this where the main author is a freelance outsider so you saw the script before it was passed though the people at Disney and Muppets Studio and before they found a director who was even more a Muppet Freak than the authors! You're right - Deadly was not in the original draft. Jason mentioned in an interview several months back (which got everyone excited) about how director Bobin knew all this Muppet trivia and characters that even he didn't and cited as an example where at one point in reading the script, Bobin mentioned, "You know, this would be a perfect place for Uncle Deadly". We all thought it was great that Deadly would be in the movie and were expecting it to be a single line or something but after shooting photos starting leaking out and Chris Cooper gave an interview talking about his part in the movie, it looks like Deadly's got a more substantial part as his sidekick. (psst...btw, you wouldn't happen to still have a copy of that original draft, do you?)
Bobo was his sidekick in the original draft. With Jerry retired, I wonder who'll perform him. (And who knew Bobin was more of a Muppet freak than Segel? Segel seemed to rival even US!)

Why, David - i'm surprised! For years, you've been one of the biggest advocates for rebuilding Thog and you haven't seen that glorious photo of The Muppets filming on Hollywood Blvd with an unmistakable Thog towering over the group? Cross those fingers no more!
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that photo? Last photos I saw were of the adorable Amy Adams in her small-town look and her 'wardrobe malfunction' day.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole