Kermit at the MTV Video Music Awards

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I have two thoughts on this, if anyone cares.

1: It was obvious he was trying to keep Kermit moving when he wasn't being talked to to seem "alive", but he looked like a chicken pecking. These weird jerky forward head moves. Seemed awkward.

2: Some of you have posted that he shouldn't be there or with Lady GaGa or what ever, like she's not good enough. Right now, like it or not, she is so HOT in the pop culture scene, so it was actually great exposure for Kermit. Made him seem cool to a whole other generation that thinks Muppets are stuffed animals with some dude's arm up their _ _ _. Just kids stuff. And need I remind you of the Elton John Muppet appearance. She isn't much different than he was in his younger wild costume years.
cant belive im saying this but lets face it Lady Gaga is a human muppet

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Concerning the substitute performer...

While I must admit to having missed both performances, the hoopla over the substitution reminds me of a Jane Henson quote shortly after Jim Henson's death, concerning Steve Whitmire's casting: "The performer needs time. Kermit won't come back so strong at first. Then little by little, he will get his whole personality back."

And he did, and, if this substitution proves long-term, someday will again.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
While I must admit to having missed both performances, the hoopla over the substitution reminds me of a Jane Henson quote shortly after Jim Henson's death, concerning Steve Whitmire's casting: "The performer needs time. Kermit won't come back so strong at first. Then little by little, he will get his whole personality back."

And he did, and, if this substitution proves long-term, someday will again.
That's a really nice way of looking at it, and I tend to share your optimism. There's potential there. I just wish we all knew what was going on--I respect the work that Mr. Whitmire has done too much to be okay his replacing him unless there's a valid reason.

hose nose

Reaction score
Info on the Performance

Many of you are dissing the recent Kermit performances knowing that it is not Steve. These same people are praising the D23 "boat" performance, speculating that it was an old Jim recording, and that a "seasoned" muppeteer was manipulating Kermit. Having many friends that worked on the D23 event, I wanted to set the record straight that Arite was the voice and the hand behind kermit for D23.

BlueMonsters11

Reaction score
Artie you did fine, considering that this is only your second appearance as the frog. I'm just asking for an explanation. Dave, Bill, Eric, and David Rudman were all at the D23 expo, presumably Steve too (but he didn't do any interviewing or meet and greet as Kermit or Rizzo or someone else) so it was possible that he was tracked. If all four guys were there, and Eric was at AGT, then the Steve issue is something above a "Save the Muppets" sort of thing. Something is happening with Steve and I hope that we know soon.
Actually, the VMAs was Artie's 3rd performance as the frog. Steve was NOT at D23. That was Artie...his voice..his hand. And he was AWESOME!:smile:I was there and it was magical to see all the Muppets together like that. I'm grateful that Disney is bringing back the muppets and giving us as many as 3 appearances in 2 weeks. It's all been very exciting! And frankly for as devout muppets fans as everyone on this site is, it is so sad to hear so much negativity when we are finally getting some real exposure.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
An Open Letter to Disney

Hi Muppet Central,

I see many of you have questions and worries about what has happened to Kermit (and what has happened to Steve.)

I share your concerns, and I've written an open letter to the people at Disney and the Muppets Studios to let them know how I feel.

You can read it here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/toughpigs/messages?msg=12087.1

If you want your voice to be heard by the Walt Disney Studio and the Muppets Studios, these are the main people you should contact:

Ms Lylle Breier
General Manager
The Muppets Studios
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-9722

Mr Richard W. Cook
Chairman
The Walt Disney Studios
Burbank, CA 91521-9722

And if you want to write them but you're not sure how to go about it, feel free to reply here, or in the Tough Pigs thread.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Let's just remember that being thrown into Kermit twice in a row on Live T.V. is much different than working on set behind a Camera. On a set you have sometime to get into your character and become that character ( having a few takes to get the inflections right) or even inbetween takes you have time to get into a character. Artie was thrown into the part and lets not forget that just like anything lets see what happens... Lets see what he can do with some Scripts. Understand that almost everything he has done this far has been improv I give him a A+. Support with anything fans included will always give you a better product. I know that Jim felt that way. Sending letters out that trash Kermit will only want to make them pull them all the way out. Let just see what happens. Did you accept Piggy when Eric first took over her? Do you accept her now? Good question to ask... I know I do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah... that's exactly what we should watch out for. I'm sure there's a reason for whatever happened to Steve... we just don't want to complain the Muppets back into the closet (or Disney Vault as the case may be). Look how long it took them to get the franchise back on track after Oz, which was plagued with nothing but complaints (and justifiable ones at that).

This is basically an unfortunate blotch on what's gonna be a huge year. We already have the comics... but there's just so much stuff planned for next year, we can't afford for something to happen here. Again, benefit of the doubt... emergency recast and all that...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hi Muppet Central,

I see many of you have questions and worries about what has happened to Kermit (and what has happened to Steve.)

I share your concerns, and I've written an open letter to the people at Disney and the Muppets Studios to let them know how I feel.

You can read it here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/toughpigs/messages?msg=12087.1

If you want your voice to be heard by the Walt Disney Studio and the Muppets Studios, these are the main people you should contact:

Ms Lylle Breier
General Manager
The Muppets Studios
Burbank, CA 91521-9722

Mr Richard W. Cook
Chairman
The Walt Disney Studios
Burbank, CA 91521-9722

And if you want to write them but you're not sure how to go about it, feel free to reply here, or in the Tough Pigs thread.

Thanks!
A fantastically written letter, Kynan. I've been reading your posts over at Tough Pigs the past few days and I agree with you on every point. I'll be more than happy to send my thoughts to Ms. Bryer and Mr. Cook. Would you like us to use your letter to send, or would you prefer we compose our own? Either way, this needs to be done and our voices need to be heard!

Come on, Muppet Central, it's time to step up and let Disney know that we only want the finest Frog--and that is Steve Whitmire!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Personally, I saw improvement (vocally), but I'll be honest ... if I have to have an impersonator, I thought the guy who did Kermit in The Bear Wit Project was really funny and good. *waits to get shot*