Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
A few years ago there was another reason that we all wrote to disney, but I can't remember what it was; maybe something to do with a dvd release or something? But I remember that it got results! I will write a letter and send it off as soon as I can (Prawnie, if you have time, could you pm me a good email addres to send it to?).

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I also tried to contact a writer for Entertainment Weekly who's written about the Muppets before. I thought maybe if she was interested in the situation, and called public attention to it, maybe something could actually get done. Anyone know of any out-of-the-box contacts, even through Twitter or anything, that could maybe get something done? I'll definitely write a letter, but I'd be more confident in a very public campaign than a series of fan letters from the most faithful Muppet fans (no offense)... Know what I'm saying?

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
However until fans are told honestly what happened to Steve and why someone else was playing Kermit this last month, we don't know whether we should be supporting this recast or not.
I don't want to hijack Ryan's thread, but I haven't signed the petition, not because I don't care about Steve, but because the reasons behind the recast don't change my feelings about it.

D.W., you're saying that if we knew why Kermit was different, then we could make a more informed judgment about his performance. And I think that's exactly wrong. The great majority of the audience doesn't care about what happens behind the scenes. Outside of our very small fan community, millions of viewers are never going to go back and reassess whether they liked AGT or not based on some extra nugget of information. They either liked it or they didn't.

What you're asking Disney for is not just an explanation, you want a justification. And then you want to be able to make up your mind on whether to "support" the recast or not, depending on whether you think the justification is good enough. That's just not how the audience-entertainer relationship works. You pays your money, and if you likes what you sees, you clap at the end.

Disney doesn't owe us an explanation, and I don't think we have the right to ask for one. But we do have the right to expect Muppets when Disney advertises them.

Again, I have no problem with Ryan's petition, and I totally respect your point of view, D.W. That's just not where I'm coming from, is all.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I also tried to contact a writer for Entertainment Weekly who's written about the Muppets before. I thought maybe if she was interested in the situation, and called public attention to it, maybe something could actually get done. Anyone know of any out-of-the-box contacts, even through Twitter or anything, that could maybe get something done? I'll definitely write a letter, but I'd be more confident in a very public campaign than a series of fan letters from the most faithful Muppet fans (no offense)... Know what I'm saying?
I do. I DID just start following Jimmy Fallon on Twitter... he's a pretty big Muppet fan, I guess I could ask him. :stick_out_tongue:

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I do. I DID just start following Jimmy Fallon on Twitter... he's a pretty big Muppet fan, I guess I could ask him. :stick_out_tongue:
Good idea. I follow him too and I'll second your tweet (although I just joined and still haven't gotten the whole 140 character thing down yet...).

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Good idea. I follow him too and I'll second your tweet (although I just joined and still haven't gotten the whole 140 character thing down yet...).
Haha yes, that does take awhile...

EDIT: I don't know how to get to him on Twitter since he's not following me... So I'll just see if I can find an e-mail on his website.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Haha yes, that does take awhile...

EDIT: I don't know how to get to him on Twitter since he's not following me... So I'll just see if I can find an e-mail on his website.
I just @JimmyFallon -ed him. Was that wrong? I said:

SarahLabadini@jimmyfallon Hey Jimmy--any info on the not!Kermit that was on AGT and the VMAs? Muppet fans are worried about Steve Whitmire...

thought it might be just enough to peak his interest had he not heard...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I just @JimmyFallon -ed him. Was that wrong? I said:

SarahLabadini@jimmyfallon Hey Jimmy--any info on the not!Kermit that was on AGT and the VMAs? Muppet fans are worried about Steve Whitmire...

thought it might be just enough to peak his interest had he not heard...
I guess that works... but I'm not sure if he can see those Tweets if he's not following you.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
No, those are public. Anyone can @___ someone. I saw Rob Thomas get into a big fight with some of his fans through that just earlier in the day... Oh Twitter. Ha

theprawncracker

Reaction score
No, those are public. Anyone can @___ someone. I saw Rob Thomas get into a big fight with some of his fans through that just earlier in the day... Oh Twitter. Ha
Hahaha oh wow... GREAT. :stick_out_tongue: Well I e-mailed the Late Night blog, so we'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.