Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This whole subject is closed as far as I'm concerned. He's back and we need NO explanation as to why he was gone... that doesn't really matter now. We'll never know the truth, and I pretty much don't care about it now that he is back.

The problem I still say stems from the fear that Disney would recast cheaper sound-a-likes. but then again, since the substitute Kermit's performance went over like a lead balloon, I don't think we'd need to worry about that anymore.

As for the performances, I'm agreeing with Luke on this one... it isn't "sour grapes" at all... I don't think ANY of us would want to have to be saddled with such a subtle character to perform last minute. Again, I'm sure he's a great puppeteer... but he really doesn't have a handle on Kermit, and his movements seemed all too nervous in front of a live audience. I don't think he was ready... and, frankly, I think he was just chosen to perform him for these 2 appearances because he sounded the most approximately almost like Kermit out of all the other available performers, and it was too late to cancel both times.

Though I agree... he probably can't say anything because he'd be fired if he did so. I wish him the best and hope he finds his own character.

Muppetfan55

Reaction score
Like I said, there probably IS some validity to the puppetry being stiff. I just think that people may have taken it overboard since emotions were running high.

Kermit is a hard character in terms of emoting. His head is very flexible and there is always a danger of overdoing expressions or just not being expressive enough.

Clearly, in those two appearances, Kermit was not being as facially expressive as he usual is, (he tried though) but I think that was the extent of it being stiff. That was the only problem.

As far as the voice, he gave it a good effort. Clearly a bit different than what we are used to, but still a good effort.

Muppetfan55

Reaction score
...And assuming that enough fans sent letters, I'm sure that they will get the point that fans didn't like what happened.

unclematt

Reaction score
You know guys, forget all of the wild rumors, conspiracy theories, and juicy gossip.

Most often, the most boring explanation is usually the real one.

For all we know, it really could have been possible that Steve was just unavailable to perform Kermit for two occasions and if that is the case, Disney would NEVER publicly discuss that.

After all, we all know the "truth". Kermit is not a puppet, he is a real frog. and Piggy is a real pig, and so on.

Also, as I understand it, Artie was a member here in the past, and some people here were hoping that he would make a post and explain things.
Uh guys, WAKE UP. When Artie was performing Kermit he was probably contractually obligated NOT to discuss anything! Welcome to the real world.

Also, I still stand by what I said in my first post. (most people didn't notice it)
Artie gave it a good effort. In all probability, he was most likely the closest match that they could find.

And as for that talk of his puppetry being stiff, there may be some validity there, but I think that most of that was just sour grapes.

And guys, you can backpedal and twist things all you want, but some of the things that were said on these boards WERE in fact, insults towards Artie.
I wouldn't blame him if he never came here again.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be mean. I just find it disgusting that people over-reacted to this so much, which resulted in one of the the worst wars that I have ever seen on this board.
Like Frogster insulting people who liked the Muppets as they are now, and Kyan ripping people apart.

And see? It was all for nothing. I always knew that everything would turn out alright somehow.

I will end this with one last statement.

The Muppet performers are NOT immortal, someday Steve will not be around anymore, and when that day comes, Kermit might be passed to Artie. And you will all just have to live with that.
Muppetfan,

This thread had moved past the negativity. I do not know if you are trying to disrupt that intentionally or if you are unaware but we really have done alot to clean this thread up and I would hope it would remain that way. Please be careful when choosing your words as to not to take this thread down the path it was once heading.

Thank you,

unclematt

Luke

Reaction score
Clearly, in those two appearances, Kermit was not being as facially expressive as he usual is, (he tried though) but I think that was the extent of it being stiff. That was the only problem.
When you see a Muppet performance it should be the best there is, there is nobody else at all with such a good reputation for quality. I've seen web/cable TV shows that have been Dave Goelz under a table holding up Gonzo, with one camera and poor lighting, and it was STILL faultless and pretty much perfect. No matter who is performing at any time, it has to keep up this level under Disney, if they cut corners they ruin the Muppet name and most importantly for them, their investment.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I am aware of the fact that Performers are not immortal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am aware of the fact that Performers are not immortal.
But this thread sure is... there's really NO point in talking, deliberating, and adding anything else here. The subject IS closed. Steve IS back, and whatever reason he was gone is unimportant right now.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Apparently, Kermit was on GMA this morning. Anyone watch it to see if it was Steve still?

Luke

Reaction score
But this thread sure is... there's really NO point in talking, deliberating, and adding anything else here. The subject IS closed. Steve IS back, and whatever reason he was gone is unimportant right now.
Hold up, lets make sure its Steve back permanently and there are no more switcheroos! :stick_out_tongue:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have to say I'm with Muppetfan. I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, thankfully Steve IS back, and I am happy that the thread has turned positive. I'm not trying to stir up trouble other than to say I totally agree with him/her and I think there was alot of overreacting over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.