Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa DVD

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's Rizzo's line just before the two vacationing penguins enter the airport. :zany: :shifty: :zany:

hoopless

Reaction score
Got my UK version of this today in the post, even though its not officially released in the UK til Monday 5th.

Hopefully watch it later tonight or tomorrow. Be good to see it on screen as it has not yet been seen in the UK.

Chris
I got my UK one today and really want to watch it, but i'm holding off anything christmassy just yet because once i start i'll become a festive monster and it's a little too early just yet.

It bugs me how Disney dvd's seem to just be the boring grey discs these days and they're reserving all the colour disc labels for blu-ray. I just feel a little cheated, almost like it's a bootleg. especially when they're so much more expensive on average than most other dvd's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something... guess what store I found carrying it...

The Disney Store! No Kidding. So if you actually have one around and can't find the DVD anywhere else, you may just wanna check that out.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
No no whats cool is that my Wal-Mart not only has Letters to Santa, they now also have the Muppet Show seasons one and two. They also have some cool looking Kermit and Animal hats. They are the same ones as on lids.com, and they are selling them way cheaper. 10.00$ If anyone wants one at that cheaper price let me know and I can work out something. It's better then 25.00$ on lids.com

theprawncracker

Reaction score
No no whats cool is that my Wal-Mart not only has Letters to Santa, they now also have the Muppet Show seasons one and two. They also have some cool looking Kermit and Animal hats. They are the same ones as on lids.com, and they are selling them way cheaper. 10.00$ If anyone wants one at that cheaper price let me know and I can work out something. It's better then 25.00$ on lids.com
My Wal-Mart has those too! I bought the Animal one since I'd already gotten the Kermit one for $25... :stick_out_tongue: The material on the Kermit looks a little nicer than Animal, but I'm not complaining. :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think it's cool that Wal Mart is trying to get some Muppet things.

Now back to thew DVD I really love the cover art for it as well, I'm glad they went with that one.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, I just finallllllllyyy saw this special the other day! I wound up missing it the first time around when it aired so I've been waiting quite a while for the DVD. And it was so great to see a new Muppets Christmas special. (I love both, so I'm always thrilled to see them together.) Admittedly, there were a few things that seemed a little predictable, but that's to be expected. It was still fun seeing it all come together. And I love that they worked in some classic gags with Crazy Harry:crazy:, the Swedish Chef:hungry: and Sam the American Eagle!:attitude: (I really cracked up on Sam's bit. lol)
Even if they didn't have many speaking lines (or none as the case may be), it was great to see Scooter in there along with Rowlf and even Carl from Muppets Tonight and Luncheon Counter Monster! Wow! And penguins and rats and chickens are always fun to have there. And Sweetums and Robin and Lew Zealand- and the Electric Mayhem gang actually had a couple of lines. (And hey- who knew Zoot was Jewish? lol- that just seemed kinda random like they wanted to make sure Hannukah was recognized somewhere in there too. This leads me to an interesting Muppety question- Did Zoot, Baby Bear and Mr. Hooper go to the same synagogue? lol)
But all in all, this was a great Christmas special with some definite rewatchability. (Of course, I've rewatched pretty much all the Muppet productions I have at some point or another.)
I enjoyed the new Paul Williams songs and it was nice to hear some other traditional Christmas songs and carols- "Deck the Halls" and an instrumental version of "Angels We Have Heard on High"- nice. I also really liked seeing Gonzo take on responsibility for Claire's letter- I thought it was a tender moment there, seeing his determination to ensure her happiness at Christmas.
And in true Muppet fashion, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe bonded together and set forth to get those letters to Santa Claus! And I loved Fozzie's joke on the airplane- "We're winging it." "That's NOT funny!" lol
I really enjoyed the "I Wish I Could Be Santa Claus" song- that one was great. And Bunsen and Beaker's scenes were hilarious though it was kinda short, as were Statler and Waldorf's scenes. And Bobo was hilarious- great to see him there!
The whole thing was great- would've been nice to see some others show up- (Johnny Fiama and Sal, Lips, more Muppet monsters- Beautiful Day Monster for instance- and it would be awesome to finally see Seymour return!)
But overall, it was very enjoyable and I'm sure I will wind up watching it at least once more before Christmas gets here (and afterwards too for that matter).

dwmckim

Reaction score
And hey- who knew Zoot was Jewish? lol- that just seemed kinda random like they wanted to make sure Hannukah was recognized somewhere in there too.
Since you missed the original broadcast...

The short scene with Dr. Teeth and Zoot was one of the bits cut for time and restored onto the dvd...while as i said earlier i think the special flows much better with the cut bits restored, i actually thought Zoot's being Jewish was funnier on the broadcast since the only hint of it was when the band were entering, each of them with their own line and Zoot just mumbles "happy Hannukah" - i thought that was just such a great Zoot moment since he's one of those great quirky characters that often doesn't speak but when he does, it's something golden or out there and this latest Zootism just seemed so great for the character...another example of him saying something unexpected and different. The extra bit of dialogue on the dvd version was nice but also seemed like overkill or not needed since you got just enough from the previous line. Like a joke that's more funny when you don't have to overexplain it - but still it was nice to see Dr. Teeth/Zoot get some more lines and it no doubt made the Jewish Muppet fans happier to see it a little more represented (and obvious that Zoot was indeed Jewish and not just wishing Happy Hannukah when he entered as a muticulturalism)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Zoot is hilarious!:cool:
And yeah- I can see how the original broadcast may have made it even funnier, just as an aside he might have done to leave you wondering. Thanks for the explanation.:sing::big_grin:

ToodlesTeam

Reaction score
Personally, I thought the Electric Mayhem as a whole was just excellent in this special. It was great to hear them all talking again, and not just one brief line either. It's good to know that the voices of those characters are in good hands right now, what with the whole Mobile Mayhem Band or whatever appearing at the Disney Parks soon.

Although, yeah, the Zoot line did work better without the additional scene.