Any Ernst Fans?

Yorick

Reaction score
I agree with your entire post! I mostly remembered the barber skits, and Dr. Otto (who's name I didn't recall...but just the hand on top of his head that moved when he spoke...I always recalled that and loved it)...

I'm so glad Jim won an emmy for that...it's a super cool show, and of he's great in it, and of course I've already stated how high I regard the gifts he shared with us through his movies and the show...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember when I first heard that Ernest was in commercials, I had wondered if he originated in his movies or saturday morning series or somewhere else. Then I was watching Ernest Goes to Camp with somebody and during the scene where Ernest told a story about Vern I was told that Ernest was created for commercials and that Vern was part of them (by that time I knew that the saturday morning show was called "Hey Vern It's Ernest" but didn't know that Vern was meant to be a character).

And then I got a video movie guide and noticed an entry on "Ernest Film Festival", which mentioned that it contained "Ernest and Vern" commercials but was a bit more confused because Jim Varney was the only actor listed for it. I wondered if maybe Varney also played Vern or something, but was also confused because Vern wasn't in the movies (at the time I didn't really notice the scene where Ernest visited Vern in Ernest Saves Christmas). I eventually saw a copy of "Ernest Film Festival" at a video store (though I never rented it) and wondered why only Ernest was on the packaging but not Vern.

When I first saw Ernest Rides Again I think I started tog et the gist of who Vern was... That movie ended with Ernest talking to Vern about his next movie, though I think I might have still been confused about it. A few years later I got a book called Total TV and looked in the entry on Hey Vern It's Ernest and the book said that "Vern" was the camera. So for awhile I thoguht that meant that he wasn't an actual character (not thinking that it meant we saw from Vern's point of view). The next time I saw Ernest Saves Christmas I finally noticed that scene of him visiting Vern, and thought he was visiting a camera, with no acknowledgement of how weird that would have been.

Watching the "Hey vern It's Ernest" opening, I think it's a bit weird that the credits for a saturday mornign series listed ALL of the cast (and the writers). Since it was a childrens series I would have expected the cast credits to have been in the end credits (with maybe Jim Varney being the only actor listed in the opening).

Recently James Wolfe of The Angry Video Game Nerd fame did a review of Ernest Scared Stupid. In contrast to The Nostalgia Critic Wolfe actually gave the film a positive review (though when Wolfe reviews movies they are usually positive, unless it's a rare isntance where he reviews a movie in character). http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/10/27/ernest-scared-stupid/

Yorick

Reaction score
All the credits being listed on the HVIE opening makes me feel like it could have been on in the evening, because (just like a well made cartoon) any adult cool enough to revel in the zany humor and have a lot of fun watching it like I still do, is cool with me.

On the other hand, anyone who thinks, "Well, I grew up, so I don't like it anymore, I only watch 'Adult Swim' shows for cartoons etc" may lack imagination.

Almost time for Ernest Saves Christmas!

Yorick

Reaction score
Time for me to watch "Ernest Saves Christmas" :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, in an early scene in Ernest Scared Stupid, Ernest gets stuck in a dumpster while the compactor is turned on, and he struggles to not get squished. But I wonder if he would have been killed if he hadn't been rescued. After all, in Ernest Goes to Jail he survives being electrocuted, blown up, and falling to the ground. Though it seems like that was the only Ernest movie where he survives things in a cartoony manner.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, in an early scene in Ernest Scared Stupid, Ernest gets stuck in a dumpster while the compactor is turned on, and he struggles to not get squished. But I wonder if he would have been killed if he hadn't been rescued. After all, in Ernest Goes to Jail he survives being electrocuted, blown up, and falling to the ground. Though it seems like that was the only Ernest movie where he survives things in a cartoony manner.
I came... I saw... I got blowed up... *Faints*

Yorick

Reaction score
Ernest does fall of ladders a lot (in Ernest Goes To Camp and others I think)

I've seen:
Hey Vern, It's My Family Album
Dr. Otto & The Riddle Of The Gloom Beam
Ernest Goes To Camp
Ernest Saves Christmas
Ernest Goes To Jail
Ernest Goes To Splash Mountain
Ernest Scared Stupid
Ernest Rides Again
Ernest Goes To School
Slam Dunk Ernest
Ernest Goes To Africa
Ernest In The Army
Hey Vern, It's Ernest (Series)

But I don't recall how often he fall off ladders...however, I think it's a lot, and I think he always seems okay in the next scene :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
He fell off the ladder a whole lot in his comercals.