Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 40

Drtooth

Reaction score
The computer one is dumb, IMO - just pointing to the number. However, the mural...I don't like that they've played it so much, but the first couple times I saw it, I thought it was at least clever, as it showed the co-operation SS tries to inspire among kids. If the kids talked, though, it would be better.
The computer segment is a bad remake of some skit that either came from the 70's or 80's where they had to find the word "hot." Only, it's longer and more pointless.

The Mural thing wouldn't be so bad, but they play it sooooo many times. Plus, as I said, it shows that SS doesn't have all that many good or decent double digit segments (especially 13-19). Sure, making a new one may sound out of the question with the budget... but there are at least 3 "different" mural segments, and they manage to show them all in one season. It's beyond repetitive.

Erine81981

Reaction score
These last couple of episodes i've watched i really have enjoyed. And i mean just the storylines is all. I see all the inserts and stuff and some of those are pretty neat. I really enjoyed getting to see in the lastest episode with Jerry's characters all being in the scene.

I would have loved to have seen Herry with all the people all inside the store and all. Like him having at least one line like Sherlock did. But cool to see him as well.

Keep up Sesame Workshop with all the awsome little surprises.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Great to see a main story line focus around the Count, even if it was an Elmo-centric plot. Nice to see Baby Bear, Green Old MacDonald, and the Three Pigs... but REALLY great to see Snuffy and Big Bird with the Birdkateers.

And that's about it, since everything else was reran. I love the Murray Lamb segments, but did they REALLY need to show it twice this season, especially since there hasn't been an Ernie and Bert Adventures segment for 3 episodes now?

Fairy

Reaction score
Hello! I am relatively new here. Had an ID for years, but not a frequent visitor. Like what I see when I do, though. I've been dying for some kind of discussion on various topics here in Season 40, such as Zoe's refresh. Forgive me if these have already been discussed, and feel free to direct me to specific threads!

1. Zoe's Refresh
I am not a fan of this refresh. I am not a fan of Zoe in general, but I sort of just accept her and move on. But this latest refresh is really bad, IMO. Her hair is way over the top (no pun consciously intended), and her eyes now seem alot smaller. I just don't have enough words to say how much I don't like this.

2. Leslie's Muppets All Look and Sound the Same
It seems to me that I hear Abby no matter who Leslie is doing. Such as the flower a few shows back. Anyone agree?

3. We've Lost Something Important with the Video Versions
I really dislike Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures, as well as Abby's Flying Fairy School. I've read much discussion on these; those threads I did find, tho I did not participate. I just wanted to add my name to the list of people who think these cheaper, lazy renditions do a real disservice to today's kids, rather than using hte actual muppets.

4. I've Been Enjoying the Hidden Gems
I had to cheat and look some of them up on the Muppet Wiki, but I caught most of them, including Sherlock Hemlock! Good stuff.

5. Can Someone Explain the Approach with Legacy Adult Characters?
I do love Chris, and Leela is ok, too. I understand the need to have new people move onto the street. However, just curious what the approach is with showing people like Bob and Susan just the one time each year for at least the last three years, maybe? Is this a contracted thing that they are here for life for one show a season from here on out? Curious about this.

6. Ricky Gervais
I read that some parents aren't thrilled with that sketch. I think they're insane, it's the best one of the entire season, possibly the best of the entire decade. Is this a vocal minority, or are there really alot of folks out there who thought Ricky's sketch was a problem?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing replies!

-- Fairy :frown:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
1. Zoe's Refresh
I am not a fan of this refresh. I am not a fan of Zoe in general, but I sort of just accept her and move on. But this latest refresh is really bad, IMO. Her hair is way over the top (no pun consciously intended), and her eyes now seem alot smaller. I just don't have enough words to say how much I don't like this.
You and everyone else hates that puppet. Thankfully, it'll be gone next season and the regular sized Zoe will be back.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They made the small Zoe for "Abby in Wonderland" as Mousy the Hatter Helper and they decided to get their mileage from it. They too realized what a mistake it was and have changed her back.

Fairy

Reaction score
Oooh! See, I have no knowledge of any of this stuff and clearly need to hang out here more often. Thank you for clearing that up, I really appreciate it!

dwmckim

Reaction score
The "WTFZoe" bugs me not just as a puppet but it seems to indicate a major problem going on behind the scenes with the leadership at SW.

Obviously someone came up with the idea. I'll even grant that maybe just maybe there`was one or even two people who agreed and thought it was a good idea as well. But let's be frank - under normal circumstances, if someone said "You know let's go ahead and replace the regular Zoe puppet with this obviously way smaller, uglier puppet" they should have either been laughed at by everyone else in the room or been met with a series of dropped jaws with everyone sitting there waiting for a punchline or "April Fool's!" There HAD to have been a large number of people who knew that was simply a flat-out absurd, ridiculous, stupid idea.

So either the upper management at SW has created some kind of atmosphere where they're surrounded by "Yes Men" and people in all departments too scared or intimidated to call people out on an obviously horrible idea or the management is so obnoxiously headstrong that they'll go ahead with a "my way or the highway" policy plowing ahead with the worst decisions even if they've got hundreds of people below them saying "uh...you are kidding, right? You aren't? Are you sure this is a good idea or even appropriate?"

Either way, i'm really quite terrified of the implications for SW's future.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but I still say someone cried "budget crisis," and felt that using the puppet until it got worn out would save them a lot of money. I'm sure one of those kids of decisions twisted their arms in that direction, but everything so far this season shouts "WE NEED MONEY! Please give some to us PBS, instead of the BBC for terrible British CSI knockoffs!" The use of a puppet that clearly cost them something, the deserted look of the street (other than Jack's Jump, the season premier, and a couple others, it was like everyone else just happened to be on vacation), segments that just so happened to be borrowed from foreign productions, the reuse of footage, the reuse of footage, and the reuse of REUSED footage. All signs point to financial gap.