Season 40 Hidden Gems

Convincing John

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea why they didn't hammer out a better usage deal with Kermit when the sale happened, but whatever the reason, Disney made a special exception for that one time, letting them use Kermit for a whopping 10 seconds. I'd love for this to open a window for them to negotiate affordable rights (instead of using the money for a guest star do some self serving tedious parody of their own songs... guest AND song rights) for a once a year, once every few years type deal for him to be in one skit or one street story. But that's not likely to happen.
I wonder if future negotiations will take place? It makes me wonder...

I know people have mentioned it before, but Sesame Workshop must have some good partership between themselves and Disney.

When the Henson Company put out Emmet Otter and The Christmas Toy, they said:

"Uh, Disney Company? We want to put out these Christmas specials. Kermit's in 'em, but only a little bit. Can we--"

Disney's reply: "Nope." (door slams)

Henson Company shrugs and takes a hacksaw to both specials before they are released on DVD.

This was the Henson Company, the people who used to own Kermit.

Now, around the same time, here's Sesame Workshop putting out Old School DVD's...

SW asks: "We wanna put Kermit in 'em, is that OK, Disney Company?"

Disney says: "Yeah, sure, just put a thing in the credits that says you don't own Kermit."

What's the deal? I mean, I'm not complaining one bit about Kermit's cameo. I think it's great! I just don't get how easy it is for Sesame Workshop to feature Kermit and the Henson Company would have such a hard time...even with archival footage!

If SW sat down with Disney and worked out some kind of new deal where Kermit could appear on the street for a street story, that'd be 10 types of awesome. To see Kermit would boost ratings (for more nostalgic viewers like us and parents who want their kids to see Kermit on SS like they did).

Also, it'd give Steve more work to do. How easy would it be after an Ernie and Bert sketch for Steve to walk onto the set, get Kermit from a puppet wrangler and perform something with Abby or Gordon or Maria at the brownstone? If legal matters could be straightened out, why not? He'd be right there on the set!

Since this thread is about the hidden gems, my favorites so far have been the Muppeteer cameos (yay for Marty and Caroll!) and Bip Bipadotta appearing with Leela and saying "Mahna Mahna"...

...hold it...

I wonder if SW had to pay extra for that. Probably not. Yeah, it's Bip, not Mahna Mahna. And yeah, the song appeared on Sesame Street long before TMS. Still, I've read cases where the Disney lawyers get pretty snippy over the tiniest things.

Convincing John

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wonder if future negotiations will take place? It makes me wonder...

I know people have mentioned it before, but Sesame Workshop must have some good partership between themselves and Disney.

When the Henson Company put out Emmet Otter and The Christmas Toy, they said:

"Uh, Disney Company? We want to put out these Christmas specials. Kermit's in 'em, but only a little bit. Can we--"

Disney's reply: "Nope." (door slams)

Henson Company shrugs and takes a hacksaw to both specials before they are released on DVD.

This was the Henson Company, the people who used to own Kermit.

Now, around the same time, here's Sesame Workshop putting out Old School DVD's...

SW asks: "We wanna put Kermit in 'em, is that OK, Disney Company?"

Disney says: "Yeah, sure, just put a thing in the credits that says you don't own Kermit."
I'm pretty sure that SW made an agreement with Disney that they are allowed to show past Kermit material in their archives, but need permission to make new material with him (i.e Elmo's World: Frogs). Judging by the Henson Christmas special DVDs, they clearly don't have the same deal.

Mupp

Reaction score
I wonder if SW had to pay extra for that. Probably not. Yeah, it's Bip, not Mahna Mahna. And yeah, the song appeared on Sesame Street long before TMS. Still, I've read cases where the Disney lawyers get pretty snippy over the tiniest things.
Yeah. They are techincally considered two different characters, so I don't think there was any issue with that.

And to be perfectly honest, its not just Disney lawyers. The lawyers of ANY company can get snippy over things.

Convincing John

Reaction score
And to be perfectly honest, its not just Disney lawyers. The lawyers of ANY company can get snippy over things.
Oh, I don't doubt it, but it seems like Disney (since it's such a huge company) is "snippier" than the rest. Some companies hire "Lionel Hutz" type of lawyers 'cause that's all they can afford. But with all the Mickey Mouse Money, Disney's probably got some of the most powerful lawyers in the USA.

But back to Kermit, I hope Sesame Workshop sees how much we liked his cameo and can eventually bring the frog to the street at some point. It would be great for the new generation of kids to learn from Kermit like I did back in the day.

I don't think there's a Muppet fan out there who wouldn't want to see Kermit on SS. His cameo was fun to see and it'd be great if we could see him again.

Convincing John

ISNorden

Reaction score
I for one would love to see Kermit come back once a season in some new Sesame Street material--if the Workshop can afford more than a ten-second cameo. Since Elmo technically re-introduced the "green frog" to a new generation of viewers, I hope that gives his popularity a boost!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Henson Kids (at least Brian) had a brief cameo in the arbor at the beginning establishing shot. Too bad they didn't have Brian puppeteer some character.

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
OMG Brian on SS? I can't believe it. That's got to be rare on SS

dwmckim

Reaction score
OMG Brian on SS? I can't believe it. That's got to be rare on SS
Rare, but not the first time as he (and other of Jim's kids) often popped up in early films Jim did for Sesame. Haven't watched the tape of today's episode yet but i would fall over laughing if they showed him counting change!