Your Thoughts: Sesame Street 40 Years DVD Box Set

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
The DVD box set is so well put-together.

This isn't something they just threw together at the last minute. The production values are there!

I love how they show the set being built.

And all this other behind-the-scenes stuff I've wondered over the years was answered, like: "How does Carroll operate Bruno?" Well you see him put the costume on and see.

It's truly a gift to see the Muppeteers perform their characters, and esp. how they design and build the characters.

If you're a Muppet fan, the bonus features for this set alone make the purchase worthwhile.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
My favorite bonus feature? The making of "The Honker-Duckie-Dinger Jamboree." It made puppetry look so much fun. (And it is!) It also made me miss Brian Muehl performing with the Muppets.

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
Last night I just finished Disc 2 but I still have not watched any of the Bonus features yet, I plan on watching them today when I get home from school.

I have to say I am pleased with the clips they have shown on both discs, I was a little upset when on Disc 1 they did not have C is for Cookie, What's the name of that song, or Sing, Then when I pop in disc 2 I was so pleased when I saw them included in the set,

You know what's funny, My Family and I have been going around singing some of these songs, like we heard them for the 1st time, its obvious we heard these songs many times before but it was just funny to hear us sing these songs again,

That's the power of sesame street for you

I will come back and report on what I think of the Bonus features later! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder, when the box refers to the book as "limited edition", does that mean that the DVD set is also limited edition, or will it eventually be sold without the book and in a smaller box (and without the "limited edition book" being advertised on the box)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder, when the box refers to the book as "limited edition", does that mean that the DVD set is also limited edition, or will it eventually be sold without the book and in a smaller box (and without the "limited edition book" being advertised on the box)?
Do the words corporate buzzword ring a bell? Limited Edition basically means that their supplies are not infinite... so technically, everything is limited edition.

ploobis

Reaction score
I loved the "Behind the Streets" stuff.

But speaking of the Snowman sketch, did anyone else noticed Frank Oz's headband was blur out. Is that cause that handband had "non SS Muppets" like Fozzie Bear? I guess Sesame Street workshop is making sure they don't get sued, :smile: esp by Disney of all companies. Keep in mind, they have permission to use Kermit footage.
Yeah, Frank was wearing the same headband he wore on TMS.

I also loved seeing the shooting of Honker Duckie Dinger Jamboree!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Though many of these videos can be viewed for free at sesamestreet.org, I must say that the picture quality is better watching most of these on a TV screen or laptop than it is watching in fullscreen at sesamestreet.org.

I know that the review mentions that "bring your own can night" involves Oscar and Bruno at a movie theater, but after watching it many times, it's never directly stated if this was a movie theater. It could have been a regular theater, or a sporting event, or a dance club/ ball room. I noticed that Oscar was wearing a black tie and white tuxedo... thing (what would you call it?) while Bruno was wearing a flower on his shoulder... I guess that could cancle-out the theory of it being a sporting event, and the fact that Buffy brought Cody would cancel out the place being a ball. Also, if it were a movie theater, wouldn't there have been posters on the wall?

Amy

Reaction score
I got the gigantic coffee-table book and dvd set.
I haven't watched Disc 2 yet because quite frankly, I'm only interested in the pre-'90 stuff anyway :wink:
It still boggles my mind how meticulously the curriculum is constructed which underpins each show or skit.

While I thought there were a LOT of classic skits left off Disc 1, it's good to know that it was probably to avoid doubling up with material already on the Old School DVDs (which I also have).
But some more of Joe Raposo's little film clips would have been great, like the one with the fish or the giraffes.

But overall, very good. David and his rakishly-tilted Gilligan hat will NEVER be uncool.

I thought the book was excellent - I was reminded of a skit I had totally forgotten about: Bob, Maria, David, Gordon and Mr Hooper singing 'Water' with Judy Collins.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I got the gigantic coffee-table book and dvd set.
I haven't watched Disc 2 yet because quite frankly, I'm only interested in the pre-'90 stuff anyway :wink:
It still boggles my mind how meticulously the curriculum is constructed which underpins each show or skit.

While I thought there were a LOT of classic skits left off Disc 1, it's good to know that it was probably to avoid doubling up with material already on the Old School DVDs (which I also have).
But some more of Joe Raposo's little film clips would have been great, like the one with the fish or the giraffes.

But overall, very good. David and his rakishly-tilted Gilligan hat will NEVER be uncool.

I thought the book was excellent - I was reminded of a skit I had totally forgotten about: Bob, Maria, David, Gordon and Mr Hooper singing 'Water' with Judy Collins.
You have mentioned that you're more of a Jim Henson fan than a Muppet fan, so I must ask... Did you like both of Jim Henson's film inserts that were included (Henson #1 Song and Henson Queen of Six)?