New Video: Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody!

Rax

Reaction score
Cool! I hope it'll be realeased on vinyl as well.

Gr, Rax

Beauregard

Reaction score
How exciting! I've never seen so much Muppet news in such a small amount of time!

Drtooth

Reaction score
My point was, given the Muppets recent exploits(Muppets.com sketches, Muppets Take Over Today, Bohemian Rhapsody, All the other Youtube videos, LTS, etc) how can people say the Muppets should be put in an archive wherehouse and Disney should just focus on The Muppet Show/classic shows?
We've been seeing since last year time and time again that the old Muppet magic chemistry/timing/timelyness is back as ever...and Bohemian Rhapsody I feel sealed the deal.

Now ok...if there's a dedicated fan community to say, the 1980's cartoon Gummi Bears...and Disney made a short lived really horrible "updated" hip new version, ok...I can see people saying "they should stick to the old reruns".

But Jim Henson intended the Muppets to be around forever. I don't see this obsession people have with the 1970's Muppet Show era as the be all end all. I celebrate the 1950's, 60's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and soon the 2010's as much as I love the Muppet Show/Muppet Movie/Land of Gorch 70's era.

I've been saying this time and again for years on this board, and quite a bit recently. The only "magic" I've seen gone is the magic of strong leadership and good projects. The puppetry is as good as ever, there's a lot of passion a lot of the puppeteers share, especially the newer crew... But when it comes down to it, they've been struggling to get a foothold on the franchise since Jim died, and they've been trying so many projects to try to grasp at what could have been. The first 2 muppet movies after weren't even original stories, and the Muppets basically played second to human actors or new characters, specifically for those movies. Muppets Tonight.. again, the writers didn't know what to do with it until the show was canceled... and given the format, they didn't know if it was a talk show or a variety show with a 90's slant.

I for onr hate turning classic characters like this into old nostalgic stuff, leading everyone to say... "Oh! I loved those guys! I want to buy a t-shirt I'm gonna wear at age 20-30 something that I would have beat up a kid for wearing when I was 15." It's like those kids who blew up all their once beloved TMNT figures with cheap fireworks and now just buy the overpriced re-releases, or pay scalpers on Ebay for dented, scratched, accessory-less stuff they could find at a garage sale. I always said the Magic of the muppets never left... they just haven't had a chance to put it to good use.

And I agree on the Gummi Bears comment as well. If they managed to want to bring back something cheaply, without thought... say the Underdog movie... then by all means, keep it as reruns we've seen too many times and can recite. But if you do something constructive, creative and well thought out, say the TMNT rebirth of 03, then it deserves a shot. Sure, Charles Schulz didn't want anyone else writing his stripe or doing the specials. He may have left us with a lack of closure, but I respect the choice he made for his comic... specials, on the other hand... there has to be someone who can write a special and not just take 2 weeks worth of strips and clumsily warp them into a half hour special.

Dearth

Reaction score
I compared this with the list I compiled, and the only thing you seem to have left out are the five penguins. Otherwise, our lists are almost identical.

I've added them at the end of your list, in bold.

Dearth

The Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody
(feel free to correct this list)
:smile: :zany: :wink:

01 Camilla [Are we sure that's Camilla? They look pretty generic.]
02 Gonzo the Great
03 Rowlf the Dog
04 Animal
05 Pepe the Prawn
06 Purple Frackle*
07 Angel Marie
08 Old Tom
09 Moe Frackle
10 Beaker
11 Bobo the Bear
12 Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
13 Fast Eddie Rat* [What did the asterisk indicate?]
14 Rizzo the Rat
15 Yolanda Rat
16 Big Mean Carl
17 Mahna Mahna
18 Snowth # 1
19 Snowth # 2
20 Lew Zealand
21 Beauregard
22 Crazy Harry
23 Fozzie Bear
24 Statler
25 Waldorf
26 Sam the Eagle
27 Swedish Chef
28 Sal Minella
29 Johnny Fiama
30 Janice
31 Floyd Pepper
32 Dr. Teeth
33 Zoot
34 Dr. Julius Strangepork
35 Muppet Newsman
36 Miss Piggy
37 Scooter
38 Kermit the Frog

39 Muppet Banana # 1
40 Muppet Banana # 2
41 Muppet Banana # 3
42 Muppet Banana # 4
43 Muppet Cactus # 1
44 Muppet Cactus # 2
45 Muppet Cactus # 3
46 Muppet Cactus # 4
47 Muppet Turkey*
48 Muppet Rabbit # 1
49 Muppet Rabbit # 2
50 Muppet Rabbit # 3
51 Muppet Rabbit # 4
52 Muppet Monkey # 1
53 Muppet Monkey # 2
54 Muppet Monkey # 3
55 Muppet Flower # 1
56 Muppet Flower # 2
57 Muppet Flower # 3
58 Muppet Flower # 4
59 Muppet Prairie Dog # 1
60 Muppet Prairie Dog # 2
61 Muppet Prairie Dog # 3
62 Muppet Prairie Dog # 4
63 Muppet Chicken # 1
64 Muppet Chicken # 2
65 Muppet penguin #1
66 Muppet penguin #2
67 Muppet penguin #3
68 Muppet penguin #4
69 Muppet penguin #5
(plus two boomerang fish and a rubber chicken)

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think you forgot 2 more chickens with Gonzo(the shadow of course being the same as the beginning of the original video with Queen)

Daniel

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think you forgot 2 more chickens with Gonzo(the shadow of course being the same as the beginning of the original video with Queen)

Daniel
They're counted down on the list.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I compared this with the list I compiled, and the only thing you seem to have left out are the five penguins. Otherwise, our lists are almost identical.

I've added them at the end of your list, in bold.

Dearth
How could I have missed the penguins? :zany: I was working in the shop while writing up the list. Man, I still can't believe I left off the penguins.

jeffy

Reaction score
Well said Drtooth.

Muppets Tonight.. again, the writers didn't know what to do with it until the show was canceled... and given the format, they didn't know if it was a talk show or a variety show with a 90's slant.
Roughly speaking, The Muppet Show was also finding its way until the middle of the second season. Then it took off. They never gave Muppets Tonight a chance. Granted, the first season of Muppets Tonight was no comparison to the first season of The Muppet Show, but there were sparkles of magic sprinkled all around that first and only season. Off the top of my head (haven't seen it in years)...
...anything and everything Bobo and Sal the Monkey and Pepe.
...Bobo (as commanded by Rizzo): "Those are really nice balloons you got there, can I play with them?"
...the amazing Prince song "strawberry jam something" in that black-and-white-and-a-tiny-bit-of-color elementary classroom set.
..."I'm Leo. I'm Pepe. We're two of a kind. Dah dah dah dah dah dah dah and I've got a big behind"
...the great theme song

Aside from first-season growing pains, and the lack of leadership and especially creative leadership.... For me the major problem was Clifford. I just feel that he was not a well rounded character, and there was no real change in him from episode one then in the final episode. Not to mention that not once did Clifford evoke any reaction from me. There is nothing particularly negative about him but he was just...there.

(I realize of course, that Clifford is the only major black character the Muppets have ever seen, and his puppeteer deserves some pretty awesome respect.)