Mirror Mask

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
So, I was at Hot Topic earlier today, and I saw a Labyrinth tee-shirt, and somebody working there mentioned a movie called Mirror Mask. Has anybody here seen it? According to her, it was Henson, but I think I would have heard about it around here by now if it was.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I managed to catch it on youtube. It's very Labyrinth-esque, but it's unrelated (aside from some borrowed elements ... and I find it amusing that a circus performer juggles crystal balls but they don't show the face). Mirrormask kinda strikes me as Labyrinth: By Tim Burton. The heroine is a drawing fanatic who is, naturally, self-absorbed. She's pulled into her trippy drawings and must defeat an evil queen who makes Jareth seem downright happy-go-lucky. Sheesh, she's evil. The heroine is also replaced with her artistic doppleganger in the real world.

I must say I liked some of the more creative elements (seems more like a cross between Dark Crystal and Neverending Story ... plus Labyrinth). I just wished the friend's issues later wasn't so transparent. I saw it coming a mile away. I also liked that the villain was, actually, villainous. I also liked that we see what's going on in the real world too. That's something that should have been in Labyrinth, in retrospect ... did Sarah's family just party and forget her while she was gone? Do parents not call home to check up on the kids?

Yes, it was Henson.

edit: Here it is.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Well it's Jim Henson company but it was only made a few years ago. It's great if you love really strange fantasy, neil gaiman-like stuff. Definately check it out! It has a similar vibe to labyrinth except less 80's, and the protagonist is sort of the villain to herself rather than having a clear antagonist character... you'll see.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I avoided watching it since it doesnt have any cute animatronics in it.
But I may give it a try.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I LOVED IT

It was weird and made you think a lot, it was beautiful and had a good message, and best of all IT WAS HENSON :smile: GO WATCH IT

Skye

Reaction score
Back when this movie was first released, I was talking with a friend of mine, and he was telling me how much he loved this move, too. I have yet to see it myself, but it seems to be well-liked. Plus, it sounds pretty interesting!

dwmckim

Reaction score
MirrorMask came about as Jim Henson Company originally wanting to do a Labyrinth sequel but didn't have the budget at the time. Instead they chose to do something Labyrinth-inspired. There were a couple of making-of books about the movie you may want to hunt down - the team talk about how it much of it was written in Henson's London home surrounded by original Labyrinth artifacts.

The film IS available on both dvd and Blu-Ray.

hoopless

Reaction score
Well it's Jim Henson company but it was only made a few years ago. It's great if you love really strange fantasy, neil gaiman-like stuff. Definately check it out! It has a similar vibe to labyrinth except less 80's, and the protagonist is sort of the villain to herself rather than having a clear antagonist character... you'll see.
funny you should mention neil gaiman-like stuff since it was actually co-written by him. I really enjoyed it having downloaded it earlier in the year out of curiosity. very arty and trippy.

also it's got some good british talent in it.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Just saw Mirror Mask. Well, I have to say it was one of the worst fantasy movies Ive ever seen. The lack of money is clearly visible in every frame and in the boring script. I also hated the visual "style"... it just looks cheap!
Too bad, as I had high hopes for this one.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good. I guess everyone has their own opinion.