Jim Hill: Muppets Officially Back

beaker

Reaction score
I've been following Jim Hill's blog for years, particularly in regards to
any thoughts on the Muppets. Hill has perhaps been the Muppets biggest vocal proponent in the respected Disney community, and boy did he just deliver quite the whopper:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...iacom+(JimHillMedia.com)&utm_content=FaceBook

Despite being a sometimes critic of Disney, I think corporate has realized what a valuable asset Hill is. The Muppet Studios official facebook just linked to the Hill article:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MuppetsStudio/177534557034?ref=mf
(add them for updates!)

Thanksgiving is traditionally a time when we reconnect with friends & family. And this year, The Walt Disney Company must be feeling especially thankful for the way the public passionately re-embraced the Muppets last week.

I mean, who would have thought that a viral video (which was shot on the fly, by the way. 50 camera set-ups in just a day and a half back in July) covering an old Queen song would set the Web on fire. But that’s exactly what “Bohemian Rhapsody” did, racking up nearly 8 million views over the past week.

The Muppets perform the Bohemian Rhapsody
Copyright 2009 Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

To give you some idea of how truly huge this is for Muppet Studios, let’s take a look at their previous web sensation, Beaker’s “Ode To Joy.” Originally posted on YouTube in July of 2008, it took this Webby-winning viral video more than 16 months to rack up 7.4 million views. “Bohemian Rhapsody” blew right past that number in less than seven days.

Of course, what helped here was that virtually every site of size on the Web linked to the Muppets’ latest online tune. TMZ, Perez Hilton, Gawker, the Huffington Post and AintItCoolNews all made their readers aware of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” Which is how the Muppet Studios’ new YouTube Channel (which just launched on November 19th and already has 37,000 subscribers) wound up being the Most Viewed Channel on YouTube this past week.

Miss Piggy visits the cast of Dancing With the Stars
(L to R) Cloris Leachman, Jerry Springer, Steve Wozniak, Miss Piggy and Joanna
Krupa on the season finale of “Dancing with the Stars.” Photo by Adam Larkey.
Copyright 2009 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. All Rights Reserved

And what with all of this additional media attention coming during a week when Miss Piggy made an appearance on the “Dancing with the Stars” finale on ABC …

Tiffany Thornton & Kermit the Frog rode the Bountiful Harvest Cornucopia float in this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
Tiffany Thornton and Kermit the Frog ride the Bountiful Harvest Cornucopia
float in this year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Copyright 2009 Disney
Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

... and Kermit the Frog sang “I Believe” with Tiffany Thornton during NBC’s live broadcast of Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade … Well, is it any wonder People Magazine – in its “Best of 2009” issue – just named the Muppets as the Comeback of the Year?

People Magazine named the Muppets Come Back of the Year
Copyright 2009 Time Inc. All Rights Reserved

Mind you, this wasn’t a fluke. Or just just a lucky break. Ever since The Walt Disney Company acquired this beloved set of characters from The Jim Henson Company back in February of 2004, a lot of very talented people have labored long & hard behind-the-scenes get the Muppets back in the spotlight. But who knew that it would be a Queen song that would finally put them over the top?

Anyway … If you’ve grown tired of rewatching “Bohemian Rhapsody” on YouTube, there’s lots of Muppety goodness to be found on TV this week. Take – for example – tomorrow night’s “Christmas at Rockefeller Center” telecast (which airs on NBC from 8 to 9 p.m. ET/PT). When Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Pepe and the Electric Mayhem will join Michael Buble, Barry Manilow and the Radio City Rockettes for the lighting of the world’s most famous Christmas tree.

Tiffany Thornton and Kermit the Frog
Tiffany Thornton from the Disney Channel’s “Sonny With A Chance” and Kermit
the Frog. Copyright 2009 Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

On Friday, the Disney Channel premieres the music video version of “I Believe.” (By the way, if you like Kermit & Tiffany’s new holiday tune, the single version of “I Believe” – which is already getting lots of airplay over on Radio Disney-- will be available for purchase from various online retailers starting on December 8th).

That same day NBC will be rebroadcasting “A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa” from 8 to 9 p.m. ET / PT (FYI: An extended version of this highly rated 2008 holiday special is now available for purchase from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment).

Andrea Bocelli sings with Kermit and the gang on the Jay Leno show
Copyright 2009 Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). All Rights Reserved

And then – on Monday, December 7th – the Muppets will be performing with Andrea Bocelli on “The Jay Leno Show” (which airs on NBC from 10 to 11 p.m. ET/PT).

Speaking of which … This Italian tenor’s new holiday special -- “Andrea Bocelli & David Foster: My Christmas” -- will air all month long on PBS. And one of the real highlights of this show is when Bocelli sings “Jingle Bells” with Miss Piggy & pals.

Which – I know – sounds somewhat unlikely. Especially since some of the other stars who appear on this holiday special (i.e. Reba McEntire, Mary J. Blige, Natalie Cole, Katherine Jenkins and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir ) are among the most popular entertainers working today. All I can tell you is that – back when “My Christmas” was initially being shot at Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre this past September -- the Muppets were the only act who received a standing O from the audience attending that taping.

And if you like what you see & hear on this new PBS holiday special, then perhaps you should spring for the "My Christmas" CD & DVD. Which also features the Muppets singing “Jingle Bells” with Mr. Bocelli.

By the way …If you like listening to Kermit & Co. perform Christmas carols, just be aware that “Bohemian Rhapsody” isn’t the only viral video that Muppet Studios will be releasing this holiday season. They have a version of “Carol of the Bells” which will be popping up on the Web sometime in the next two weeks that will definitely make “ … your days seem merry and bright.”

And if that’s not enough Muppety Christmas cheer for you … Later today, the United States Postal System will be announcing that this year’s holiday cancellation will feature Kermit the Frog holding a “Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa” sign.

And on into December, Kermit & Co. continue with “A Muppet Christmas: Letters to Santa” being rebroadcast by NBC on December 19th from 8-9 p.m. ET/PT. And look for the Muppets “Give a Day / Get a Disney Day” commercials to be prominently featured as part of the December 25th broadcast of the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade. Which will air on ABC from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

And if all goes according to plan, the Muppets’ current hot streak will continue well past New Year’s Eve. In January, their new online series – “The Muppets Kitchen with Cat Cora” – debuts. Plus these characters will be prominently featured in the “Give a Day / Get a Disney Day” parade (which will periodically recognize the volunteers who take part in next year’s promotion for Disney Parks & Resorts). And let’s not forget about the first in-park Muppet Whatnot shop (which is rumored to be opening at WDW early next year).

All this plus a Muppet Halloween special AND a brand-new feature film, “The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made.” And did I mention that – in addition to “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Carol of the Bells” – that Muppet Studios has three more viral videos that it plans on releasing in 2010? All of which (Disney hopes) will cause the same sort of online sensation that last week’s video did.

Rizzo the Rat puppet replica from eFX
Copyright Disney / eFx, Inc. All Rights Reserved

There’s a few more Muppet-related surprises to found under this year’s Christmas tree (You might want to start TiVoing Jimmy Fallon. Hint, hint). Speaking of which … If you’re looking for an appropriate present for the Muppet fanatic in your family, you might want to check eFx Inc.’s line of photo puppet replicas and/or Tonner’s great new Miss Piggy dolls.

Of course, if you’d like to deliver something truly sensational this holiday season, you might want to get in on the bidding that’s currently going on with FAO Schwarz’s Experience of a Lifetime auctions. You see, the Fifth Avenue store is currently offering an experiential package that any serious Muppet fan would kill to have, “THE WORKS.”

“And what exactly does ‘THE WORKS’ entail?” you ask. Well, let’s start with a 2-night / 3-day excursion to NYC. Where – as you enter FAO Schwarz Fifth Avenue – you’ll be greeted by Kermit the Frog and Fozzie Bear.

Kermit peaks out from behind the stage cutain at a free standing Fozzie Bear
Copyright Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

No, not some teenagers in Kermit & Fozzie costumes. The REAL Kermit the Frog & Fozzie Bear will be on hand as you arrive at Muppet Whatnot headquarters. Where you’ll design your own custom Muppet Whatnot puppet.

Once your Whatnot is complete, you’ll receive private puppeteering lessons from a Muppet pro. This will be followed by the shooting of a three-minute-long keepsake video where your Muppet Whatnot will perform alongside Kermit & Fozzie. Once this footage is edited, it will then be posted on Muppets.com.

Doesn’t “THE WORKS” sound great? Well, the downside is that this FAO Schwarz Experience of a Lifetime auction is being done for charity. And if you’d like to get some quality time with the REAL Kermit & Fozzie, it’s going to cost you. The high bid of this Ultimate Muppet Whatnot Workshop Experience currently stands at $5000.

But the upside is that you have ‘til December 10th at 5 p.m. ET to cash in the kids’ college funds and/or look under the couch cushions for loose change. That’s when bidding officially closes on this particular FAO Schwarz Experience of a Lifetime auction.

Okay. That’s enough talk about Christmas & holiday gifts. For now, why don’t we enjoy some Thanksgiving leftovers and take one more look at “Bohemian Rhapsody” ?

Of course, if you’re still of a mind to do some holiday shopping today … If you’re looking to do any bargain hunting on Amazon.com, could you first please click on the banner above? If you do that … Well, JHM gets a teeny tiny chunk of whatever you spend. Which would be a great way to say “Thank You” for all the great stories that you’ve read on Jim Hill Media over the past year.

Happy Holidays!

beaker

Reaction score
Man, the Muppets @ Rockefeller Center tomorrow night and Andrea Bocelli performing on Jay Leno with the Muppets, and again on his Christmas PBS special is insane...judging from the article the Muppets have truly taken over *both* the web and tv.

I think Jim Hill has, like all of us, been waiting a *very* long time for this!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Thank goodness for Jim Hill and thank GOODNESS for The Muppets. It's so good to have them home. 2010 is going to be, dare I say it, legendary. Awesome, awesome, AWESOME.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Yeah, it better be.
Can't you be excited for once, Snowthy? There is noooo call for pessimism at this point. Everything is riding along a great track and we're in for a Muppet Renaissance--finally! So... let's ditch the pessimism, 'kay? :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don trust that Jim Hill of Beans guy. My news source for Mupdates has been the MNF, TP, and now the Mindset. When everything that guy reported happens, call me. And then we can talk about the Great Muppet ride he gushed all about that was coming to the parks. Or how he was right that VMMC was nothing but a TV flopperoo. *Insert sarcastic Muppet smilie*

Drtooth

Reaction score
(pats Count on the back) I'm with you.

I do agree that this will be the year of the muppets... I mean, so far this year we got a nice little preview of what can be in store... Youtube videos, their own video based website, those amazing comics... and all those TV appearances. But all those things Count said... yeah... a ride we didn't get, a commissary at Disneyworld we didn't get... and he ignores the stuff we actually do get. I see what he means, and I agree that the Muppets are the comeback kid of the year... but the source? Not a fan of that.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but when did Jim Hill ever say a movie ride or commissary was coming? He did an indepth series of articles on Disney's initial plans about Disney's original Muppet purchases back in 1990 - and yes he talked about those projects - but always in the context of a Muppet-might-have-been, not something he was saying was going to now happen.

Jim Hill isn't perfect (who is?) but he's done some great stuff with his Muppet reporting over the years and if he's (or guest reporters) dared to say he didn't like a particular project or direction and risks offending someone by saying that (boohoo - how many times do people express similar opinions on forums such as this one?), who cares? He's done some wonderfully indepth reporting on the Muppets and Henson that i'm almost always glad to see - if i've had one complaint with his Muppet coverage this last year, it's been that it's been too few and far between this last year or so. He made up for the lack of coverage with this latest article.

Luke

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but when did Jim Hill ever say a movie ride or commissary was coming? He did an indepth series of articles on Disney's initial plans about Disney's original Muppet purchases back in 1990 - and yes he talked about those projects - but always in the context of a Muppet-might-have-been, not something he was saying was going to now happen.

Jim Hill isn't perfect (who is?) but he's done some great stuff with his Muppet reporting over the years and if he's (or guest reporters) dared to say he didn't like a particular project or direction and risks offending someone by saying that (boohoo - how many times do people express similar opinions on forums such as this one?), who cares? He's done some wonderfully indepth reporting on the Muppets and Henson that i'm almost always glad to see - if i've had one complaint with his Muppet coverage this last year, it's been that it's been too few and far between this last year or so. He made up for the lack of coverage with this latest article.
Are you joking DW? He spent the first few years of Disneys ownership dooming them to failure, pretty much laughing at the whole idea of Disney owning Muppets (basically calling it Eisners "pet" project and they have no hope now) and teasing a lot of what the Count said, though its true he didn't promise but did use that stuff to give people the impression he was "in the loop". I find Jim Hill probably one of the most hypocritical writers i've ever seen, look how quick he is to do an article hyping up the Muppets now Disney managed to work out how to push them right and of course, theres no mention of how wrong he was - he loves them now. I don't even find him that well informed - all the stuff he talks about there was announced months ago or hasn't happened. If he's that well informed or knowledgable how come he didn't see all this coming? lol

I find this whole idea of "last week was the start of the Muppets push" absolutely ridiculous and untrue. The push really started when Brier took over and they've been continually in the public eye since them. Bohemium Rhapsody isn't like the major part of that, its just one of a few things on the way to the TV series and the movie. Sure it got a lot of people watching it and it should have for the amount Disney spent on it but i don't think its a case that the public suddenly took the Muppets back into their hearts this week because of it - a viral video isnt going to do that - they just have to keep on being in the public eye, doing great stuff and most importantly the RIGHT stuff which all thats planned certainly is, so its a comeback of sorts but really they were back ages ago and the real test longterm won't really come until they are in theaters.

:big_grin:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, some of the biggest things happening with the Muppets haven't even been announced yet...