Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

beaker

Reaction score
Ooh - good one. Left that one out of my list.

These are slightly annoying but i don't really get bothered by these (unless they pop up in an article by a "professional" writer)...

Statler and Waldorf don't often refer to each other by name or get called by name as much by the other characters - i'm sure a lot of big Muppet fans learned their names last.

The whole Disney deal was such a weird mess with lots of on-again off-again history, the whole "when DID they own the characters" topic can confuse people who even make a serious attempt to keep on top of these things.

Aside from Henson/Oz (and now Kevin Clash to a smaller degree), the Muppeteers are pretty anoymous to most people - even casual fans (the ones that love them throughout their life but not to the degree where they follow Muppet sites or join forums). I HATE seeing the "Jim's son" myth in print from someone calling them a journalist or writer but when it comes from just a random person from the general public, i just shrug it off as a testiment to Steve's talent.
I agree, I can't blame people for not knowing Disney owns the Muppets. The news of their buy was almost 6 years ago, and it has fallen way back into people's memory. And they insist on pupping "Muppet Studios" or "Muppets Holding LLC" on all the products or ads/clips/sites, which I think is kind of cool.

I never heard the "Ernie died of AIDS" or "Jim Henson died of AIDS" thing; however for people to understand why there is a Muppet character with AIDS(Kami) they have to first understand the absolute seriousness and dire situation of pediatric AIDS in many African countries. People in America are just ignorant.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never heard the "Ernie died of AIDS" or "Jim Henson died of AIDS" thing; however for people to understand why there is a Muppet character with AIDS(Kami) they have to first understand the absolute seriousness and dire situation of pediatric AIDS in many African countries. People in America are just ignorant.
Yeah, Richard Hunt, sadly, is the one who died of AIDS, such a tragedy, but at least he took it well.

Not to be a nitpicker or anything, but Kami doesn't have AIDS, she is HIV+... which DOES lead to AIDS, but not really that much of an issue. In respect to some of my friends here, I'm not going to go into a discussion as why there's a common misconception with Americans about HIV/AIDS which caused the outrage over Kami... but I will admit, a friend of mine in Israel asked me why Americans did make such a big deal out of a Muppet character being HIV+, and I explained to her the misconception that plagues America regarding the disease.

beaker

Reaction score
I kinda get annoyed when people pop in here and ask for merchandise of characters that never had merchandise and never will. I swear someone asked for merchandising of This Character
, and I couldn't help but think... when? When did we ever see that character in merchandise? I know they mean well, but when people ask if a character was in any commercially available merchandise that doesn't exist... well, it gets me annoyed that it doesn't exist myself.
[/QUOTE]

I don't see the problem with that question. I have figures of Thog, Mahna Mahna, Snowth 1 and 2, Pops, Male and Female Koozebane, Croaker(KSY), Sesame Martian, Newsman, etc. They've made a LOT of rare figures.

I think that was the worst one of all. Not so much the whole "Sesame Street is teaching AIDS" bullcrap that kept getting kicked around, but the whole notion that we're the only country that has problems, and ignoring the fact it was to educate people in Africa, where the disease spread wildly and is still a problem today. I don't wanna get into the whole thing, and we know what I'm talking about... it doesn't upset me just as a Muppets/Sesame Street fan... it upsets me as someone that genuinely cares that other people in less fortunate countries have these sorts of problems and no one wants to read the whole 2 inch article in the papers about it.
As I've always said, most Americans are not just ethno-geocentric, but either plain clueless or massively ignorant.
People would do good to see When Muppets Dream Of Peace or The World According to Sesame Street.

I don't think I've ever had that problem... but I've been lucky myself. Again, every Saturday Morning, they actually re-ran olsd TMS episodes before the network took over and broadcast their cartoons... so I was able to see Muppet Babies and The Muppet show on the same day.
Yep, I remember the(albeit sometimes truncated) TMS/MB combo Nick Jr often played. And even before that, back in the mid to late 80's TMS was always on.

I never liked that. That's like saying that Fred Flinstone was a member of the Scooby-Doo team, and not a general sense of something bigger. They are made by the same people, and they do enjoy the occasional crossover segment (Movies, specials...etc.) but Miss Piggy's Sesame Street appearance was a picture on a desk. Same with Dr. Teeth's photo in the Upstairs/Downstairs skit.
Also, Mahna Mahna(or least a close cousin) was on Sesame Street:smile:

No, Elmo is not the only Muppet...
Heh, I don't consider Elmo a Muppet nor even acknowledge his existence:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
-It annoys me when people think Elmo is a girl.
Well, I literally thought Big Bird was a female character til I think just a few years ago. I just don't get how the character is a male.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
What are some of the most annoying wrong names, misconceptions, etc people say when it comes to the Muppets?
(this may sound like elitism and whining, but I thought it'd be fun)
Cory, I remember you pronouncing "Spinney" as "Spy-ney" ... :eek: :stick_out_tongue:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
WhiteRabbit said:
When Rowlf gets called Ralph tends to bug me. XPPP It's not that hard, people.
I could've sworn I saw a sketch of Rowlf of Jim Henson's or something that says "Ralph". Also, on Muppet Family Christmas, Fozzie clearly calls him Ralph. I think "Rowlf" is Rowlf's way of saying "Ralph", kinda like how Scooby speaks in "doggie" English.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
06. Misnaming Bunsen as Bunson.
05. Misnaming Beaker as Beeker.
These two are just from people not knowing grammar.
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew is named after a scientific instrument- a Bunsen burner, which in turn is named after Robert Bunsen.
(I'm guessing the Honeydew part is from honeydew melon.)
And Beaker is named after a scientific instrument- a beaker. That's how the word is spelt.
:confused::eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
-It annoys me when people call the Swedish Chef, the Danish Chef (Yes, this happened :stick_out_tongue:)
Poppycock! The Chef never cooked a Danish in his life! :hungry:

Heckle and Jeckle! I love that! (I'm also thinking it would be awesome to see Statler and Waldorf as Dr Jekyl and Mr Heckle...HA!)
Sure they didn't get it confused with These guys?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
My list of the most annoying misconceptions I've heard people make:

-Cookie Monster being changed to the Veggie Monster, being written off, etc.

-Labeling The Muppet Show as a "kid's" show

-Early episodes of Sesame Street inappropriate for today's children...with most of the blame going to Cookie Monster and Oscar

-Labeling Creature Shop works (Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, etc.) as "Muppets", when they're clearly not.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I know I'm probably going to repeat some here but...

I got annoyed when people called Kermit the Frog, Hermit the Frog (yes I've heard people say that)
Labeling the Muppet show as a "kid's show" I mean sure kids can enjoy but it wasn't dumb down so that ONLY kids can enjoy it.
Mispelling Fozzie as Fozzy or Janice as Janis
calling Animal a "muppet monster"
When people say things like Labyrinth, Dark Crystal and Dinosaurs are muppets, when actually they were "creatures"
When people call Miss. Piggy, Mrs. Piggy (I know it's a little detail, but it's still annoying)

As for as misconceptions and/or urban legends go...
the whole Kami thing (as mention)
A Sesame Street Muppet either has died or will die soon, usually Ernie, Bert or Grover falls into this group and it usually cause of cancer, aids, or a car accident.
Bert and Ernie are gay, that's one I wish would just die already the most. (I mean it's one thing when shows like Madtv or Family Guy make jokes about that, but it really annoys me when people think that's an honest to god fact and in some cases actually attack them for that)
Cookie Monster being changed to Veggie Monster
Oscar the Grouch is an "evil character" on Sesame Street (I don't know why, but that one really bugs me) and he's gotten a lot "softer" or "nicer" over the years. The fact is Oscar gets annoyed by other Sesame Street characters, but he still cares for them. He doesn't want to see bad things happen to them or anything like that.