Steve Whitmire Lecture/Workshop at the Center for Puppetry Arts

shtick

Reaction score
Well, um, just a reminder, it's typically against forum rules to buy such a tape. However, trades are more than acceptable!

Oh, and there's a thread over in Henson Headlines discussing this. Although it is nice to have a heads-up over here in puppetry, since that's the main concern of the topic, yes?

I meant I would pay for their ticket!

There is NO NO NO Video or Photos allowed at the events.
How about an audio recording of the lecture?

Jinx

Reaction score
Recordings of any kind are prohibited to prevent exactly what you are asking for. It would hurt the marketability of future lectures.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Exactlly what Jinx said, plus it isn't fair for those who paid for the lecture for things to leak out with audio or video content.

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Aw, I wish I could've been there! Steve is sounding more and more like the amazingly amazing person I imagine him to be! Like.. well, like Jim, except he's alive at the same time as me! (that sounds SO wrong when it's put like that.. but what I mean is, I could have the opportunity to meet Steve while Jim passed away three years before I was even born) Yeah.. :smirk:

shtick

Reaction score
Aww Poo!

Anyone know if this is gonna happen in NYC?

loosetoon

Reaction score
What an amazing experience! Steve presented an interesting discussion about the inner workings of Muppet philosophy. But the real treat of the day was the workshop with Steve. Imagine getting your hands on a real Muppet made puppet, playing with it, examining it and getting insider secrets about how to perform the Muppet way. Then add in having lots of fun, laughing and enjoying yourself until it hurts! And let me say if you have any chance at all to attend, do not let this one get away!

I'll be there with my camera to get good pics!
FYI: Any photography, video, or recording of any kind was strictly forbidden. The Center had a professional photographer documenting our session (the first) and that would be the only time photos would be taken. Also be aware that Steve has zero time to socialize. The event is wall to wall for him. The lecture went about 15 minutes long. And I know how much my arm hurt after our session and Steve was right there with us. He needs that time to recover for the next 2 sessions!

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
T_T ok, now I'm sad. I wish he'd take that workshop to New York.. I would pay big money to have that kind of experience.. well, if I could. >.< I'd even cut into my college fund for that! (If my parents allowed me to, that is..)

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Just to be clear...when I said, I'll be only to happy to share my experiences on my return in whatever way I can!" I meant in whatever legal and non-restricted way. I'll share my stories, recollections and possibly a still photo or two. I completely agree with and respect all of the rules against the recording of such an event.

I'll do my best to keep all my pals here at the forum in mind while I'm there! My wife and I will live it for my brothers and sisters in the fleece and foam community that can't!

Reaction score
Just got home from the center, and like everyone's already said, it was incredible. The lecture was very well put together. Steve echoed so many of my own feelings about puppetry and specifically the Muppets. I just had to smile and nod at everything he was saying. As he said at the beginning of it, the lecture was mainly for puppeteers, and the theory behind the Muppet way of performing them. It wasn't really a history of his time with the Muppets, or full of behind the scenes stories like one might expect from these public experiences (He did have a few good ones though). It was a real treat to listen to him share his knowledge with everyone there.

And also like everyone's said, the real highlight of the day was the class. Twelve people, with Steve leading the way, all taking turns and getting equal time in front of the camera. Steve said he built the puppets himself for the workshop. I'm not sure if he was kidding, but they really looked like something straight out of the creature shop. It was mind blowing to watch him work. To see everyone trying to hit their marks and Steve improvising alongside them and cracking up the room in the process was just incredible.

At the end, before he ran out of the room for a much needed break, he did say that there may be more classes in the future and to keep an eye on the Center for any information. Let's hope he's right, and for anyone who doesn't make it down there this time, you NEED to make time for this in the future if the opportunity arises. And if Steve happens to read this (Hey, Muppet Central did get a mention at the lecture) thank you again for the amazing day.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Did everyone that went this weekend have puppeting experience? Or did any complete newbies go? Did the newbies have as much fun?

Im just kinda nervous! (AND CRAZY EXCITED!)