Rumor: Oscar living in a recycling bin

Mupp

Reaction score
I've been poking around youtube, particularly official Sesame Street videos and apparently, a few people have gotten the idea that Oscar does not live in a trash can anymore, and that he now lives in a recycling bin, and of course they are complaining about that because its too PC and whatnot.

Of course, this "rumor" is completely bogus and not true! (At least, I assume)

So, has anyone else heard about this bizarre "rumor"?

Where the heck do people get these ideas?

(There are also people out there who still think that the "Veggie Monster" is real. :rolleyes: )

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm let's see... round, metal, grayish in color... yep, that's a trashcan, as opposed to cubicle, rubber, and bluish in color.

Besides, that's nowhere near as bizzare as what Sonia Manzano once said in a TV Guide interview about Oscar being dubbed "the only Muppet character to have seen Maria naked".

Drtooth

Reaction score
(There are also people out there who still think that the "Veggie Monster" is real. :rolleyes: )
Seriously.. they let that stupid rumor out there, and suddenly people say PETA kidnapped Big Bird and set him out into the wild.

Oscar still lives in a trashcan, and he'd sic his pet elephant on anyone who tried to move him from it.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Gotta love it - people getting up in arms over something a rumor that has no basis of a starting point! I can see how Veggie Monster snowballed out of the season 36 healthy food initiative but how in the world did this even get started?

My guess is some say-anything-to-get-people-to-listen radio guy said something and their sheep ran with it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gotta love it - people getting up in arms over something a rumor that has no basis of a starting point! I can see how Veggie Monster snowballed out of the season 36 healthy food initiative but how in the world did this even get started?
Yeah... that junk news SS had to toss out into the world so that people would actually pay attention to SS instead of some sugar colored seizure that pretends to be a computer game.

My guess is some say-anything-to-get-people-to-listen radio guy said something and their sheep ran with it.
Wouldn't put it past them. I HATE that! No one makes up their own opinions anymore. They have to get some prepackaged junk food logic from someone paid to say what they think people want to hear.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Yeah... that junk news SS had to toss out into the world so that people would actually pay attention to SS instead of some sugar colored seizure that pretends to be a computer game.

Wouldn't put it past them. I HATE that! No one makes up their own opinions anymore. They have to get some prepackaged junk food logic from someone paid to say what they think people want to hear.
People have never made up their own opinions (just look at the history of organized religion... sorry... but its true)... today is no different... its just easy for people to shout things at you because of all the forms of media. But people as a whole havent changed at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
People have never made up their own opinions (just look at the history of organized religion... sorry... but its true)... today is no different... its just easy for people to shout things at you because of all the forms of media. But people as a whole havent changed at all.
Exactly. Things have gotten much MUCH worse.

This seems like something that could go either way... either as a stupid joke someone made, or as some loud mouth peon whining about how everything is so PC, and how we're brainwashing our kids not to be disgusting slobs and litter everywhere. So that's what worries me. One way, it's a harmless crack, the other way, it's something more sinister.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
UGH the stupid Veggie Monster rumor MUST die! I am a senior in college and every time I have a conversation with friends and peers about how Sesame Street is not the same as when we were kids (and I have had a number of them in the last couple of years), someone says something to the effect of, "Yeah! Did you know he's not called Cookie Monster anymore? They changed him to Veggie Monster! That's just WRONG" And I feel like such a nerd but by now I almost have steam coming out of my ears because I'm still having to correct my peers on this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Veggie Monster thing I blame on SW, trying to drum up interest in a great show that's been around since forever that just so happens to keep being eclipsed by loud, obnoxious upstarts that have educational styles that have yet to be disproven (and will be). The media just took the ordeal and blew it out of proportion, making people watch to see that Cookie was unaltered.

Beauregard

Reaction score
People have never made up their own opinions (just look at the history of organized religion... sorry... but its true)
Saying "Sorry, but its true" doesn't make something less hurtful, you know. This is exactly the kind of unnecessary dig at religion that makes people think MC has double-standards.

Why not just say people have never made up their own opinions, and leave it at that. Politics, social order, media, government, schooling, family-groups...You could look at any one of those things, or hundreds of others, yet you choose to single out religion in a non-religious thread. Kinda uncalled for.

Thanks.