Muppet Snow White

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Then who has 'em? Aren't they Muppets? You might argue Digit and Leon are Muppet-Creature hybrids, but surely Vicki and the rest of the Solid Foam band are actual Muppets.
I would think that Disney owns the MuppeTelevision characters (I've read that Disney owns the Muppet portions of The Jim Henson Hour). Reading the discussions at tough pigs, some fans speculate that Boom! just doesn't have the license to use them. If that's true it seems Boom! is allowed to use characters from The Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, and the movies (a number of Muppet Treasure Island characters have shown up... I know some of the minor pirates were reused elsewhere, and Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan were featured in their own Muppets Tonight UK sketches, but Mad Monty has appeared in Muppet Snow White but never anywhere else beyond the Muppet Treasure Island sing-along).

Hopefully if Tough Pigs does another interview with the writer (or if another Muppet fansite like Muppet Central or Muppet Mindset does) I hope they can ask about the subject. If it's character licensing it's strange that characters who were almost exclusive to "The Jim Henson Hour" can't be used yet characters exclusive to movies can. And I've read that the main cast of The Muppet Musicians of Bremen were in Muppet King Arthur... Leroy wasn't used outside that special. Of course I've also read about some of the "Muppet Classics" comics using characters from early Muppet commercials.

Still, that doesn't explain how they could get Beard into the crowd at the beginning of issue #3. He may not be a character everybody would recognize but I'm sure the idea to use him as a dwarf was pitched and vetoed by either Boom! or Disney. And he appears in the foreground... It's not like he's far back in the background behind several characters.

And considering all this I'd be surprised to see Leo, Grump, PJ, Kai-Lee, and the casts of Little Muppet Monsters and Muppet Time show up in these.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Making a very educated guess here.

I'd be willing to bet that Disney does own the Muppets that were included in the MuppetTelevision segments of JHH (heck, that's where Clifford made his debut - as a fellow Solid Foam bandmate to Beard no less - and that sure hasn't stopped him from appearing in MWOO and the comics. If there wasn't an availability issue with Kevin Clash, you can bet we'd see more of him.) and from what i understand, the MuppetTelevision segments themselves while Henson still owns the non-Muppet parts of JHH.

What i'm thinking happened was when Snider pitched Snow White he mentioned making Beard the seventh dwarf and someone at Boom! or Disney said "Beard? Who's that?" "He was the guitar player in the Jim Henson Hour" "Oh, if he's from the Jim Henson Hour, then that's Henson's property not the Muppets. We can't use him." not being clear that Beard was one of the Muppets from the MuppetTelevision segments. Most likely a combination of a misunderstanding and being overly cautious.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What i'm thinking happened was when Snider pitched Snow White he mentioned making Beard the seventh dwarf and someone at Boom! or Disney said "Beard? Who's that?" "He was the guitar player in the Jim Henson Hour" "Oh, if he's from the Jim Henson Hour, then that's Henson's property not the Muppets. We can't use him." not being clear that Beard was one of the Muppets from the MuppetTelevision segments. Most likely a combination of a misunderstanding and being overly cautious.
I'd say either that or someone at the Muppets Studios said "Yeah, but don't you think Rowlf would be more easily recognizable?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pretty disappointed they aren't using Silvani's cover for cover B... figures... the one time I was actually able to get the covers of all the same artist for consistency's sake.....

Shelli managed to sneak in another not a Muppet TV character again.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Shelli managed to sneak in another not a Muppet TV character again.
Are you referring to that dog who looks like a cop from Dog City (though at first I thought it might have been Rover Joe... But Rover Joe has closed eyes)? Or you referring to somebody who appears in shadow form? I thought I saw the shadow of Fry from Futurama, and I saw what looks like Captain Vegetable's shadow.

We also get to see Howard Tubman and Carter, with dialogue (and Carter is referred to by name). Not to mention Banana Nose Moldenado. And Baskerville.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Definitely another Futurama character. Only in shadow.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, figured out WHY we have a different cover for the B cover. There is no Dragon in that issue. I can't even make jokes about how it ends... you have to see it for yourself. Though, it kinda feels to me they really didn't know how to end it until the deadline hit.

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
Just bought issues 2 and 3 about an hour ago. I honestly like both of them, and although I liked the ending, it seemed rush and was a bit...odd. :confused:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yeah definately an odd ending. On the one hand, it was a great tribute to Muppet Endings, yet on the other i have no idea if that was actually the original planned end or if it was a rewrite.

Usually when i read either the Muppet or Farscape comic, the first time i read it, i enjoy reading it as a comic then the second time i read it, i picture it in my head as a filmed production on either the big or small screen. If this was an onscreen show, i think it would really leave a lot of the audience befuddled and some of the younger viewers might actually get confused and upset wondering if almost everyone got blown up.