Jason Segel to play the lead in new movie

Who is your favorite human lead in a Muppet movie?

• Charles Durning as Doc Hopper (The Muppet Movie)

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Charles Grodin as Nicky Holiday (The Great Muppet Caper)

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Juliana Donald as Jenny (The Muppets Take Manhattan)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge (The Muppet Christmas Carol)

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Tim Curry as Long John Silver (Muppet Treasure Island)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Jeffrey Tambor as K. Edgar Singer (Muppets From Space)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I think he did well with Statlar and Waldorf on Jimmy Fallon abot a year ago, but I would love to see what he does with Kermit and Piggy.

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
While I am a fan of his work, both in How I met Your Mother and his films, AND I appreciate that he is a huge muppet fan and will probably do them justice.

I really don't think having a human as the lead is a good idea. It definitely works to have a human play the villain, but I think that the Muppets can and should hold their own as the protagonists.

While it may have worked in past films; MCC and MTI, the muppets were always playing characters, not themselves. I believe a true Muppet movie should be centered around the Muppets.

If the news story is true and the script is Jason is trying to rally the Muppets for a show, in my opinion, Kermit should be the one to do so.

Humans should be limited to villains, extras and cameos in a Muppet film.

Thoughts?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I do agree with you, but Segel's pointed out in interviews that the human "leads" are based on Jenny and Ronnie from The Muppets Take Manhattan. Not specifically based on those characters, but meaning that that's the kind of "human lead" one could expect.

And I voted for Charles Grodin, though Tim Curry's not getting near enough love in the polls. It was tough to decide between the two.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do agree with you, but Segel's pointed out in interviews that the human "leads" are based on Jenny and Ronnie from The Muppets Take Manhattan. Not specifically based on those characters, but meaning that that's the kind of "human lead" one could expect.
Isn't it interesting though that Jenny wasn't a villain or antagonist like the others? And she’s also currently last in our "favorite human" poll. Hmmm...

blackaerin

Reaction score
wasn't Kevin Bishop also a human lead that wasn't a villain? *is confuzzled*

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting though that Jenny wasn't a villain or antagonist like the others? And she’s also currently last in our "favorite human" poll. Hmmm...
I kind of like the idea that the human leads are modeled after these characters. Nice people who want to help the Muppets. Isn't that what we would all be, really? :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea that the human leads are modeled after these characters. Nice people who want to help the Muppets. Isn't that what we would all be, really? :smile:
And that may be part of the angle Disney is going for - showing many of the humans in the film "liking" and "remembering" the Muppets... so that the audience hopefully experiences the same reflections as the human lead on-screen.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
And that may be part of the angle Disney is going for - showing many of the humans in the film "liking" and "remembering" the Muppets... so that the audience hopefully experiences the same reflections as the human lead on-screen.
That is a very interesting look at things and I never thought of that before.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, I like that. Sort of "Hey, aren't the Muppets great? Isn't it great to have them back?" It's a smart approach.

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
Looking at it in that light, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. A pretty good marketing tool actually.
Well, we shall see where this takes us in the months to come.