Controversial Topics

RedPiggy

Reaction score
They're teenagers boss. Teenagers can't think the way adults can, though some adults still act like teenagers in trying to get every person they can. But that's another story.
When I was a teenager, I despised everything my parents said/did. That being said, sex and drugs weren't ever my thing. I once took a whiff of chewing tobacco and thought, "How on earth can anyone like that stuff?". The only peer pressure I ever really cared about was maybe having Looney Tunes shirts or something. When my "friends" wanted me to do stuff of questionable ethics, I thought they were stupid.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never understood peer pressure. I grew up in an environment where the pressure was to join young religious groups and to do well in school. Needless to say I didn't do much of that. Most of it was as superficial as any other status symbol in other environments. However, better grades would have helped me out.
Well, considering we were talking about sex in bad relationships, there's a difference between "If you don't do this, you're a piece of crap" and "If you don't say yes, I'll assault you anyway." Remember, there are a LOT of relationships like that. Ones that the other person is just too afraid to get out of.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I also want to see more "parenting" classes in school. You know, the crying toy baby that won't shut up for 24 hours. Let kids realize what's REALLY coming their way. It's not just cooing over a kid in a stroller. Once they realize they're gonna have to feed the kid about every hour to two hours for a very long time, that might kill some of their desire to have one right away.
In parenting classes, there's two clips I wish they'd show to emphasize that.

Anyone else here ever wish you could do what Brian did? I know I have!
Clip1

Then listen to the story about little Jeffrey.
Clip 2

There's also a commercial on Youtube about a kid throwing a tantrum in a grocery store which is absolutely brilliant (it really sells the product, too!)...but I don't think I could post it here. Just type in "best commercial ever" in the search bar and you'll find it.

For those who think all kids are sunshine and happiness, just watch one of those "Nanny" shows (either Super or 911). I like to watch them once in a while just so I can feel better about myself. Even if I have a crummy day, at least I don't have obnoxious brats like that to deal with! I'm not having any kids, not now, not ever.

Convincing John

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I'm switching topics now.....forgive me if you still want to talk about why people have children who can't support them, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to move to the topic of the ever so popular notion of college. I have a college degree, a bachelor's in history, I got 5 years ago and have never used it once. Other people in other message boards and posted that they too have a college degree in something and have never used it to the point that is has made them frustrated that they have wasted money.

While there are those professions that require a degree, doctor, teacher, engineer, etc., most college degrees are becoming more of a waste to the point that people are now saying it's an overrated product. Yet society keeps on saying people need a college degree, or politicians claiming that we need to stay competitive so that requires sending people to get a college degree, etc. etc. etc. But with the lovely economy and so many people that are unemployed or underemplyed, including those with years of experience, college degrees, and certifications, more people are now realizing college is not a guarantee like it was 30 years ago. You can also add to the fact college tuition is rising extremely fast too.

So what do you think? Do you think people need to go to college to get a degree in something that's not going make them employable? Do you think college is becoming more of a scam and that college is nothing more than a business that will try to sell you something in order to make money off of you?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I have (counts) four degrees. Only the nursing one might lead anywhere. I've heard of some colleges getting sued (particularly the kinds you see on TV, "Do you want a good paying job now?") because you spend all that time and money for nothing. Take nursing. I'm only working in the nursing home I'm working in because long-term care has high turnover and my well-respected brother works there (something I'm ashamed of, as I don't like getting jobs for "who you know", but there was little other choice). Everyone keeps telling me hospitals take inexperienced nurses in internships (as long as it's a teaching hospital), but I have yet to win a spot as one. I think they hire from within more often than not. At the rate my job is going, it's going to tear my body down to the point I'd have to go on disability if something bad happened. I might have to work hard in a hospital, but then it's only three days out of a week, not five. I have more time to recover.

There are a lot of jobs, I'm sorry, that don't really need college education. And even if they did, just because you read some theories regarding your field doesn't mean you can apply it in real life. I can save you the cost of an MBA with my three simple rules: Make employees happy, make customers happy, turn a profit. See how simple it is? Watching shows like Tabitha's Salon Makeover or Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, it's obvious that a lot of the problem isn't the lack of education, it's a lack of any kind of common sense. Colleges can't provide you with any of that. We need to bring back apprenticeships. Learn what you need to learn for the job and move on with your day. A lot of jobs could probably get by with certifications rather than full degree programs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While there are those professions that require a degree, doctor, teacher, engineer, etc., most college degrees are becoming more of a waste to the point that people are now saying it's an overrated product. Yet society keeps on saying people need a college degree, or politicians claiming that we need to stay competitive so that requires sending people to get a college degree, etc. etc. etc. But with the lovely economy and so many people that are unemployed or underemplyed, including those with years of experience, college degrees, and certifications, more people are now realizing college is not a guarantee like it was 30 years ago. You can also add to the fact college tuition is rising extremely fast too.
That was like that when the economy was OH so supposedly good. You know, when the big fat corporations got higher profits when no one was buying anything because they used those tax cuts they bought for padding them. That was when everyone was moving jobs to other countries EVEN when they were making money. No one wants to say it, but the economy has been crap for a LOT longer than anyone wants to think about.

Worst part is, I wanted a cartooning job when everyone and his mother wants one. So now, the only thing I can do is put out a million billionth indie comic and pray that the market for indies doesn't collapse and the geek chic fad doesn't die by then. Even if TV cartoons were bountiful, I doubt I'd get something. All a college degree did was give me a liability. They want to hire high school dropouts or something for the menial money making jobs. How's that for keeping morals?

And the worst part is these companies pay loudmouths so much money to say how evil the "illegal immigrants" are for "Stealing out jobs" while they basically keep hiring them because those can pay them whatever slave wage they see fit, and ignore benefits... and if there's any complaints, it's a call to the INS. All the while, people are told how this is destroying our economy, all while being interrupted by commercials for Wal*Mart, the REASON why everything's made overseas.

But the biggest problem is that the people who invest in the stock market now are the BIGGEST WEENIES on the planet. I've seen Wade Duck and Boober muster up more courage than that. Like I give a crap if Greece's economy is belly under. I'm not working there. And then the euro lost ground to the dollar. I'm sorry, but considering that our money briefly was worth LESS than the Canadian Loony, isn't that a GOOD thing? Apparently not. now Europe can't use us as a cheap and tacky tourist destination. Man, these guys want it both ways SOOOOO bad. These jerks are the reason why gas went up to 5 bucks a gallon in 2008, really causing the market crash. Yeah, I see you only give a crap about your stupid retirement. Bully for you. None of us will ever have one because we can't find work if you keep pulling your money out.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The hardest part in my life is trying to help my grandfather (who did the whole "I walked a thousand miles to school and worked underneath a sewer grate in the 30's" thing) see that what his country raised him to believe about the workforce isn't entirely accurate. School doesn't mean what Leave It to Beaver said it did. Working hard at your job doesn't gurantee success (which was always poorly defined anyway). Success shouldn't mean what it did in the 20s and 80s. Greed isn't good. Sometimes you get fired for not bowing before injustice. Sometimes you get injured and can't work. Many bosses are simply there because they want to be in power, not because they want to be successful. Success takes brains and willpower and from even personal experience, nobody wants to do that. They assume "working hard" means being a slave to the company. I call BS. At least now that I'm throwing up and got some antibiotics from the doc, my grandfather isn't griping about me missing work like he did when I was having leg pain a couple of weeks ago. I don't want to take off work either. I could use the money. But it's not worth my health.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cough cough... the 80's WERE the problem. Again, all our misery is thanks to a certain oil slick haired former actor. A LOT of regulations were destroyed in that era, and the ripple effects are STILL being felt.

We whine about the Bailout, but we don't seem to realize that A) there was one years and years before, and B) the reasons that caused them to give them money are a lot more despicable and horrifying than giving them the money. I love how the very same politicians that are manipulating people saying how the president is evil for giving them that money are the very same ones that STILL are against any regulation of any kind.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here is something to talk about!

I have four kids in elementry school, and for the second time in about four months the Department of Children Services has pulled them out of class and took them to an empty room, and asked them questions about there home life. So today I tried to find out what was going on, because after the first home visit the case worker said she was going to close the case. Then she starts talking to the kids again earlier this week. I first contacted the school, and talked to the principal. She had no clue what was going on, and was kind of glad about that. She said that if they took her in the room that she may or may not have to go to court and she really didn't want to be in court in involved anyways. So then I tried calling the department, and after spending almost 10 minits on hold I found that our case worker was not even able to take my call.
So here is the question: Is it right for the Department of Children Services to go to school's and talk with kids without the parents even knowing or giving them permision?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here is something to talk about!

I have four kids in elementry school, and for the second time in about four months the Department of Children Services has pulled them out of class and took them to an empty room, and asked them questions about there home life. So today I tried to find out what was going on, because after the first home visit the case worker said she was going to close the case. Then she starts talking to the kids again earlier this week. I first contacted the school, and talked to the principal. She had no clue what was going on, and was kind of glad about that. She said that if they took her in the room that she may or may not have to go to court and she really didn't want to be in court in involved anyways. So then I tried calling the department, and after spending almost 10 minits on hold I found that our case worker was not even able to take my call.
So here is the question: Is it right for the Department of Children Services to go to school's and talk with kids without the parents even knowing or giving them permision?
Is there any more info you can share about this whole situation? Like why are your kids involved with the Department of Children Services in the first place? You mentioned something about a case supposedly being close, is there some kind of legal trouble you guys are in or something?

Sorry for sounding noisy, but this isn't making too much sense.