Quick question on the mouth plates......

Animal31

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a fan since day one, and I want to thank you all for some really great hints and advice that I've found thus far. A recent purchase I made on a replica puppet really has inpired me to make my own original, but my question is about materials for the mouth, what would you recommend for say a Kermit type muppet compared to something larger like an Oscar or Cookie?

Thank you all in advance! :halo:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For a puppet like Kermit, gasket rubber is always recommended for that flexibility... as for puppets like Oscar or Cookie, I honestly have no clue, I was always under the impression that they simply have cloth mouths.

Animal31

Reaction score
Thanks for that! Gasket rubber, where would I find that? I would totally agree with you on Cookie, but Oscar or even Ernie seem too padded in the head not to have something for support, no?

spcglider

Reaction score
Gasket rubber is a good choice, especially for a kermit-like mouth. I tend to use cereal boxes for the palette. Its cheap, light, plentiful, and usually lasts just fine as long as you're not using it for the actual mouth hinge. I let the fabric do that job.

-Gordon

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I tend to use cereal boxes for the palette.
Seriously? As great as your puppets are, I would've assumed you used something sturdier/stronger/better quality than that.

But then again, we all know that even the best of puppets are made from the simplest of materials...

For expressionless mouths I tend to use cardboard myself, but usually from the kind of cardboard used to keep calendars flat in their packaging, or if you get a device from the store and the cardboard from the boxes. All my new puppets had mouths from a box I had gotten my computer table in years ago and they've worked great.

spcglider

Reaction score
Well, the cereal box palettes don't stand up to a ton of abuse, but then again, I don't do live shows and we treat the puppets as gently as possible in performance.

I like how light the material is. It takes contact cement really well. And when its sandwiched between two pieces of fabric, it holds up just fine. It also has a really thin profile, so the puppeteer's hand is that much closer to the surface. And like I said earlier, its just the palette. I don't use it for the hinge. If it was in the hinge, it'd be pulverized in a day.

You're right in that it doesn't express like a soft palette would, but that hasn't been too much of a concern so far. I've never been very comfortable with soft palette puppets. Either building or performing. I should really try to get past that.

-Gordon

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm just the opposite, I'd like to try and experiment with soft palattes, because I really would like to add some expression to my puppets' faces, especially since when I write my shows, I tend to write actions that require flexibility, like if a puppet were to expression annoyance with a smirk, or a scrunched up face similar to Kermit, etc. I haven't tried gasket rubber, but I would like too... I've found that craft foam doesn't help shape very well; I experimented with it with a puppet once, and after several smirks and such, the puppet's mouth began to lose shape, and looked like it was in a permanent sneer. Of course it probably wouldn't hurt to use thinner foam rubber for the head construction either.

Animal31

Reaction score
For a puppet like Kermit, gasket rubber is always recommended for that flexibility... as for puppets like Oscar or Cookie, I honestly have no clue, I was always under the impression that they simply have cloth mouths.
Gasket rubber, where would I find that? With Cookie Monster you're probably right, I would agree that the mouth is simply cloth. But with something like Oscar or even Ernie, where the head is foam or whatnot, I would think there would have to be some sort of reinforcement. No?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've used cardboard in a pinch. I don't really build many puppets now, but at work I usually suggest making soft, flexible mouthplates out of high-quality felt. Larger mouth plates can be made from 1/2 inch foam (flexible), styrene (hard) or corrugated plastic for really large mouths.

Ice cream containers are a good substitute for styrene I've heard, but I don't eat much ice cream.

practicecactus

Reaction score
I've used foam backed vinyl and it works great. Some bin scavenged offcuts I had that was used for marine roof lining. It was already together, but it'd be as simple as gluing a thin sheet of foam to some vinyl or leather and bob's your monkey's uncle.
I made a simple sock puppet style test puppet once, with the kermit plushie head pattern, and glued it down on the inside of the black material I used for the mouth and it's rigid enough but still flexable to do the kermit face scrunch, and I used it on a cat puppet with a foam head. It keeps it's rigidty really well on that one cause I made a leather lip around the bottom edge of the mouth. For a large mouth puppet like Oscar, you could even glue a wire into the edge of the mouth, between the foam of the vinyl and the foam of the skull-head ...if that makes sense.
It's nice and cushiony on the fingers and I lined the inside with leather [because of the sweaty hand problem], but you could just as easily use the same vinyl used to make the outside mouth palet.