"Power of the Dark Crystal" feature production launches in Australia

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
I'm with ya Frogboy in your thoughts on the use of 3-D, Coraline was fantastic (the books better though :wink:)... That's why I ended my post with:
"Now, if it comes out and the story is amazing and it is great I will happily eat crow.
I want this movie, and I want it to be good, not about cash grab... Leave that to Disney and their DTV Tinkerbell movies"

But as Han Solo said: "I've got a bad feeling about this."

When the trailer hits, and it's AWESOME, I will smile ear to ear...
I saw the original opening day, when I was seven years old... I don't expect part two to be Citizen Cane, but I do hope for something classy.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya Frogboy in your thoughts on the use of 3-D, Coraline was fantastic (the books better though :wink:)... That's why I ended my post with:
"Now, if it comes out and the story is amazing and it is great I will happily eat crow.
I want this movie, and I want it to be good, not about cash grab... Leave that to Disney and their DTV Tinkerbell movies"

But as Han Solo said: "I've got a bad feeling about this."

When the trailer hits, and it's AWESOME, I will smile ear to ear...
I saw the original opening day, when I was seven years old... I don't expect part two to be Citizen Cane, but I do hope for something classy.
Personally, I usually skip the 3D versions of films even if they're heavily praised. "How to Train your Dragon" is great in 2D! I'm sure the 3D is fantastic too, but there's enough of a story to carry the film no matter what version is seen.

The part that kinda concerns me is the directorial choices. The Spierig brothers don't have much under their belts other than the lackluster "Daybreakers" film earlier this year. They're the kind of guys you get when a studio wants to control the product rather than give it to people with vision. I could be wrong about that. These guys could be awesome. It just seems like an all too familiar scenario. We’ll see. They have big shoes to fill. Nobody can replace Jim and Frank!

I'm still hoping for good things.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Fantastic news! I'm a little tired of 3D (it doesn't always work for me and costs more to go see). But, that we get the movie is A+ news to me!

JMPrater

Reaction score
As earlier stated, this is a bit too familiar for me to start getting excited AGAIN. Henson loves give out press releases, and give very little on the actual bones/details of the film. What's missing from the statement is a release date / year, and if actual production has started.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, the whole "3D" thing is starting to get on my nerves. As long as this film does not trade authentic Hensonian wonder for special effects, I look forward to it. But the film market trends bode ill.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I think 3D is a great addition. It does for picture what Surround sound did for Stereo sound. Plus you can always switch back to 2D if you wish (on Blu-Ray).

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I'm also very tired of the 3D gimmick too, I still have to completely disagree with your assessment of completely writing the project off as some sort of trendy hack-job because of the use of the technology.

The quality of 3D depends upon the implementation, so let's hope they use it in more of an intended "Coraline" sense rather than a "Clash of the Titans" post-production method. I prefer to watch the 2D versions of 3D released films anyway, but if this technology gets butts in theater seats then I'm for it! Box office ticket sales were dreadful before the rise of the IMAX and 3D gimmicks. Tired as they are they're reviving the entire film industry and this helps traditional releases as well.

All that “Power of the Dark Crystal” in 3D really does is insure more ticket sales. I’m sure it will be playing somewhere in 2D too. That’s a win-win how I look at it. Let's not cast out the good movie that could still exist within a gimmicky campaign. :scary:
I agree to what you said right there. Plus... well, when it comes to 3-D, I want something where the 3-D aides the story, but doesn't detract from anything if you're seeing it 2-D. I want to see a movie that just so happens to feature 3-D special effects, not 3-D special effects that just so happen to form a movie like substance. Something that doesn't come off as a 90 minute theme park ride.

That said, does it paint me as a bad Henson fan that I'd rather see that Fraggle Rock movie move into production than this one? I mean, if this film NEVER gets made, we always have the first one. With the Fraggle film, that's it. If it's not made, there's never going to be another opportunity, and we never had one before. maybe that needs 3-D gimmicks to get made. I hope not.

mummytomb

Reaction score
My concern is not the 3-D aspect, (Which I feel by the time this thing gets made all films will be offered in this format) but the CGI. I am so impressed with The Dark Crystal because of it's use of puppetry throughout. When it turns into CGI, it tends to look more cartoonish. I hope It can be done with style. :search:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised at the big push of 3-D all of a sudden. We've had it since the '50s at least - it's nothing new. But some movies are better suited for it than others. But I don't really care so much about that- in the case of "The Power of the Dark Crystal" it will probably be pretty cool. As long as it gets made already- and hopefully with a blend of puppetry and CGI.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I wish they would film in my area.I would love to be involved as an Extra.But they will probably film in Sydney.