"The Looney Tunes Show" premieres May 3, 2011

Yorick

Reaction score
Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs and TazMania are great indeed! I also like Duck Dodgers (in all forms)...

Plus, I agree it'd be great to put the originals back in theatres before films, and...as for favorite style, I love Daffy best in the era when he truly was Daffy, (from Porky's Duck Hunt and Yankee Doodle Daffy, Daffy The Commando, and my fave, Daffy and the Dinosaur!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs and TazMania are great indeed! I also like Duck Dodgers (in all forms)...
Again, I say Duck Dodgers got right what Loonatics failed at completely. they were able to make it an action comedy show AND make the jokes hip and clever. Very Simpsons/ Family Guy type humor. Lemme tell you something. It made those annoying effeminate, overly agreeable gophers FUNNY. Not even the most brilliant minds during the LT golden era could do that.

Plus, I agree it'd be great to put the originals back in theatres before films, and...as for favorite style, I love Daffy best in the era when he truly was Daffy, (from Porky's Duck Hunt and Yankee Doodle Daffy, Daffy The Commando, and my fave, Daffy and the Dinosaur!)
Wanna hear something that will tick you off? had LT BIA not been a horrible flop, they WERE going to make a series of Old school Daffy type cartoons. Early wacky Daffy... something not seen for years in new media. But they threw the idea in the trash and gave us Baby Looney and LU instead.

Yorick

Reaction score
LT BIA was directed by Joe Dante - who rocks, and had cameos from Roger Corman and Dick Miller, who rock. But sadly, it wasn't enough, because they claimed kids didn't know the looney tunes at that time:embarrassed: hard to believe. And I agree with you on both points. What's LU?

Drtooth

Reaction score
LT BIA was directed by Joe Dante - who rocks, and had cameos from Roger Corman and Dick Miller, who rock. But sadly, it wasn't enough, because they claimed kids didn't know the looney tunes at that time:embarrassed: hard to believe. And I agree with you on both points. What's LU?
Several points. I really enjoyed LT BIA... but when I found out what was supposed to be IN the movie I was pretty disappointed.

Originally, the movie was to open with Daffy soliciting an action movie starring himself as a dark cloaked crime fighter, a vicious jab at WB's failure to get another Batman movie franchise up an running before Christopher Nolan. The live action execs in the room become dumbfounded and ask "Why did you just kill Elmer Fudd?" There was also to be a cameo by Yakko, Wakko and Dot... remember the water tower falling over? Not to mention (this was filmed, yet never finished) a cameo by Daleks from Dr. Who. And a completely different ending.

Focusing the movie on the 2 human co-stars kinda drug things down a bit too. But I really think it was a very good movie that just was made wrong at points.

But even then... Not knowing who the Looneys are? That's the most pathetic excuse ever. Back then, CN was rerunning Looney Tunes, there was all this merchandise. Sure, it wasn't the odd 90's rebirth that gave us scores of T-shirts and 2 TV series... but kids knew who they were. The problem WAS that it was released opposite a Christmas movie with Will Ferrel acting like a giant child (which had NONE of the charm of Anchorman or any of his SNL work) and that hideous monstrosity they call the Cat in the Hat movie.

And that leads me to LU- Loonatics Unleashed. A jaded attempt to get them back in the public eye. Basically they took everything that was fun about Looney Tunes and got rid of it, giving the characters only thin hints of their personality and basically took every cliche from generic action cartoons and bludgeoned the audience with them. Essentially not even making a GOOD action cartoon. However, they DID try to turn things around the next season, deciding to make the villains futuristic versions of the Looney Tunes villains (instead of just pulling out the Big Book of Cliched action villains). There were 2 episodes which, shock and horror, were actually WATCHABLE! One featuring Sylvester and Tweety... another (a brilliant turn of character- too bad it was wasted on this show) where sweet and lovable fall guy Porky actually turned out to be the villain.

had they managed to be that clever at the beginning, they would have had something. Instead, we have a show that was a mistake to begin with, with a couple episodes that would have worked better if they had a stronger concept.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The problem WAS that it was released opposite a Christmas movie with Will Ferrel acting like a giant child (which had NONE of the charm of Anchorman or any of his SNL work)
I don't normally care much for Will Ferrel and his movies, but I will say that I enjoy "Elf" a lot. Not my favorite Christmas movie certainly- but a fun one nonetheless.
And I did see "Looney Tunes: Back in Action"- (I mean, it's Looney Tunes- of course, I'm gonna see it. That's the kind of thing you can usually or at least should be able to just about sell on name alone.) The movie wasn't horrible necessarily- I did enjoy it to some degree- but I didn't like as much as Space Jam.
Wow- the Animaniacs and Doctor Who cameos sound really cool- too bad that didn't make it into the movie.:smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't normally care much for Will Ferrel and his movies, but I will say that I enjoy "Elf" a lot. Not my favorite Christmas movie certainly- but a fun one nonetheless.
Off topic, on multiple occasions, I tried to watch that one, but somehow I think Will Ferrel movies work better if he's playing an unbearable jerk.. plus I really just did NOT like the movie at all. I just never could force myself through it the whole way. Plus, he really didn't have all that many funny people to play off of, like in Anchorman or even Zoolander.

Yorick

Reaction score
Several points. I really enjoyed LT BIA... but when I found out what was supposed to be IN the movie I was pretty disappointed.
I gotta agree with you on LT: BIA, and LU (though I never saw LU) and I don't know many Will Ferrel movies. I think John C Reilly is better (and I've never seen Stepbrothers, just Walk Hard)

Yorick

Reaction score
I agree!

Yorick

Reaction score
Still, he's the guy who gave us the Pink Panther. I wish they'd find a classy way to bring that back.
Me too. They have a new cartoon, but it's on too early on Sundays :confused: I loved the 1993 series, but sadly it doesn't get airplay, or respect, or even attention. But I feel it was really something special and great.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We finally get a preview...

uh......yeah
Absolutely NOT loving the CGI Road Runner segment. It looks like a cheap video game. And they're pulling the unofficial voice "Let's get whoever's available" garbage again. Daffy's voice is terrible and inconstant. But the animation on that one is pretty good.