StarrFilter

Reaction score
Yep! No Baby Bear at all.

Abby's hero name is Glitter Girl!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Yep! No Baby Bear at all.

Abby's hero name is Glitter Girl!
Wow, I truly thought a name like Friendly Fairy would be Abby's Superhero name. :frown:

I guess it's true with the addition of Abby into the shows alot of it being change, but for better or for worse it's up to you. :super:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Didn't see the EGT thread, but here's the downsized version of the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKXpioDuxXE
The only characters missing I see are Baby Bear, Cookie Monster and orange Honker. Are they still in the show? Also, like how they kinda changed the garden set a tad bit...and the fact they USED the original set is pretty awsome.:cool:

StarrFilter

Reaction score
I guess it's true with the addition of Abby into the shows alot of it being change, but for better or for worse it's up to you. :super:
Much Much Better! In order for this show to survive, it needs to stay hip, current, fresh and appeal to all the young boys and girls of TODAY, NOT older fans who miss Sesame Street of the 90's. If the Abby-less and Elmo-less Sesame Street of the 80's and 90's was what was still being played on PBS, the show would surely be canceled.

StarrFilter

Reaction score
Didn't see the EGT thread, but here's the downsized version of the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKXpioDuxXE
The only characters missing I see are Baby Bear, Cookie Monster and orange Honker. Are they still in the show? Also, like how they kinda changed the garden set a tad bit...and the fact they USED the original set is pretty awsome.:cool:
Hahaha. Well they used MOST of it :stick_out_tongue: Cookie Monster is definitely in it! I'm not sure what character he's split with. I think it's Oscar...? Purple Honker who was once the medium understudy is now the tall understudy. There is no Orange Honker in the scaled down version. Not sure who the medium understudy is. It might be Grover. I'll find out for you. Stay tuned :super:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Another vid of the scaled down version of EGT. I love that they amped up the originally BORING choreography! :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsHhyBjEsiU

Yeah, I must admit this is the first time a scaled down show is BETTER than the original. Plus isn't the bee like an onstage puppet or something now? It's great SSL is getting back to its roots with this one, not using a tv screen for everything. I swear I wish they would've used the original 123 Imagine stage though.:frown:

But anywho, I've been reading a lot folks responses to the shows they've seen and something has been sticking out more and more lately...has attendance really been down? I mean SST is still a popular tv show, so no reason for it to be so low in ticket sales. Plus, I would hate for it to...dare I say it...cease production all together.:concern:

It's odd that shows like Disney On Ice seem to have more attendance but SS has been declining. And IMO, SSL is 1,000 times better than DOI! I don't understand its appeal. It's good, but SSL just seems much more special.

But back to my question as far as attendance, what's been up? The shows are already downsized enough and it'd be weird seeing a 5 cast tour next! LOL. It's so ironic though, since they'll be playing here (Detroit) the whole month of February. Question: Why is Detroit the longest stop on the tour? We're the only city with this long of a stop of a SSL show. Not that it's a bad thing hehe,:stick_out_tongue: but why?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Nothing more than an educated guess here, but while SST is the higher quality show with lots of popularity in terms of brand recognition, i think the way the last few seasons have been put together have been literally boring the target audience (the preschool kids) from watching.

I don't know how the ratings for the show has been (and typically ratings only track the new episodes, not reruns, which would be a critical piece of info) but while the merchandising is everywhere and SST's presence of the internet makes them seem cool, SST has gotten to a point where the overall marketing makes people of all ages think "Sesame Street - oh wow" but when the kids tune in to the show itself, it's a different story...

At 26 episodes a season - which is the same amount a weekly series would have but SST is being shown daily - and a tendancy to not rerun episodes from older seasons, you're seeing the same episodes being shown over and over - AND within those episodes, the same segments and individual pieces are repeated frequently to the point where they're boring enough if one only watched the original broadcasts. But kids don't know about or pay attention to when a new or a repeated episode is on; they turn on the set wanting/hoping to be entertained and they see all this stuff they've seen over and over again already, and are discouraged to watch. The show itself is largely imprinting the message on its audience that SST=not worth watching after so many episodes and kids are trained to think: "Sesame Street - meh" even if they like the characters and the humor. The attendence levels for things like the stage shows are most likely effected.

A child may realize it's not the same as watching the show but when a parent asks "would you like to go see the Sesame Street show?" the kid may respond with "nah - i don't like Sesame Street as much anymore" (they'll most likely just say no without elaborating or being able to put it in words that they've become bored with it) or the parents may notice how the kids have gone from never missing a show to not caring when its on so they don't bother buying the tickets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You could say that, but also... cough cough cough... stubborn recession we'll NEVER get out of entirely (I don't wanna go into it, but I honestly feel we were never NOT in one... and this was years and years ago). You're not going to sell tickets to a show you can see for free on TV, new story or not. Disney ice shows, however, are well timed to co-incide with winter vacation weeks (at least around here) and at least have Disney's big backing behind it.

Plus, let's be honest... live kids stage shows are only for preschoolers. It's not like the 1980's where everyone and his mother had live shows like that... Everyone from Muppet Babies to Chipmunks (did He-Man have one? I wanna say He-Man had one) had a stage show. We still have them, but they're pretty rare. You'll see maybe one a year besides SSL. There was a Scooby-Doo one a while back, but other than that it was all Nick Jr. shows... and maybe Curious George, but I can't remember if it's been around here. I dunno how much the tickets are, but if they're more than the cost of a movie, there's no way people are going to go up and grab them as soon as they go on sale. I mean, these ARE just people in suits with a prerecorded track... I don;t think a LOT of people are pounding down the doors to see that. I would... but not anyone else when you can just buy one of a gazillion Elmo DVD's.

StarrFilter

Reaction score
Dr Tooth is Right. It's the RECESSION! Attendance for ALL live shows, be it SSL, DOI, Dora, etc... have been Much less than they were in the early 2000's and late 90s. In this economy the cost to put on these elaborate stage shows has skyrocketed, and therefore the ticket prices Have to go up. The average family can only afford to see one or two shows a year. And since shows like SSL and DOI hit the same cities at the same time each year, lots of parents feel confident that they can skip a year or 2.

SSL Fan, you also have to realize that DOI is produced by a multi-Billion dollar, for-profit corporation, that can afford to tour a cast of 50+ people and a crew of 20+, even if ticket sales are low. The VEE Corp SSL shows, however, are funded by Sesame Workshop, a NON-profit Corporation. The money they make from ticket sales and merchandise, and other SS toys and DVDs is what funds any SS production. I know you and I don't feel this way, but overall, Mickey Mouse has more appeal than Elmo. You also have to take in account families who can't afford to take that dream vacation to Disneyland or Disney World. Many times, the best parents can do is taking their children to see Mickey and Minnie ice skate, even if that means missing out on Elmo and Dora this year.

Sesame Workshop is trying their best keep their shows running as cost effectively as possible and therefore, have to take highly necessary steps; such as: remounting old shows instead of spending $3 million every year to keep making new ones, and shrinking the cast from 19 in the 80's, to 17 in the 90s, to 16 in 2006 and to 13 or 14 now.