Underrated TV

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Considering I recently bought the DVD box set for a steal (in the figurative sense of the word), I' going to add...

The OTHER Ghost Busters.
i actually saw the DVD for the series very recently

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only way I've heard about Filmation's Ghost Busters is because it's loved by a certain autistic manchild whom the Internet hates with a passion.
Mmm... I have no clue what that even means.

But it's a decent little show... It just has some very unfortunateness behind it. I don't really truly trust Wikipedia on most subjects, but there is a tale that because Columbia (as part of the settlement) almost went to Filmation for their cartoon, going as far as having them design characters (I don't believe it went that far... but it sounds interesting) but they backed out and went with DIC. Now, I'm glad that happened because the Real Ghostbusters would have been like that show. Not that there's anything wrong with the Filmation version... just, the fact that Egon and the rest fight different ghosts under different circumstances without a mastermind dispatching them to take over the world (I don't count Boogaloo from the Halloween special) works better for them.

Of course, to me, the Filmation show would have been funnier if they took one other thing from the live action series (I'm gonna track that one down ASA-I-have-money), and had them get their orders via different exploding messages. Unlike Inspector Gadget, they communicated with things like pies. Now that's wacky.

Make no mistake, though... I still love Real and even Extreme the most. Actually... Extreme is another series that's woefully underrated no thanks to a lame 90's buzz word in the title.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Better off Ted died ;.;? But..but..I loved it :frown:!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Better off Ted died ;.;? But..but..I loved it :frown:!
I have very disparaging thoughts about the ABC exec that killed that show, yet put on the atrocious, straight out of the 90's Better with You show. Not only is it pretty much a knockoff of Rules of Engagement, but you have to be desperate to knock off a show like Rules of Engagement.

Here's a couple more...

Extreme Ghostbusters: WHY OH WHY did you have to shove that lameazoid buzzword in the title? it turned off SO many viewers of the original Real Ghostbusters series. And while a lot of other relaunch shows went with a total reboot (He-Man or TMNT), this was an outright continuation of the original series. And it really does hold up to the original quite well, especially since they had an episode directly sequel an episode of the original (the one about the Grundel). I could go on and on about how amazing the show was (even refusing to let Slimer talk in full sentences... say what you will about Filmation's Ghostbusters... Tracy didn't steal the show at the end of the series with terrible rubbery cartoons). Though, their design for Jenine wasn't hot at all. And that one would scare kids a LOT more than the one from the original series.

Funky Cops: French show, dubbed by 4Kids... and quite honestly, the BEST dub they ever did (the other being Ultimate Muscle). Too bad kids didn't get the 70's references and the show didn't even last the season. But they let so many innuendos slip by the censors.. including my favorite line "rhymes with witch." I wish there was at least somewhere online to watch it... there is on Youtube, but it's in raw French. I really wish this one caught on.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Maybe Better Off Ted was too true to life about how big companies think and they got it taken off *lol*:coy:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The main one I can think of in this category is "Early Edition"- that was honestly the last show on network TV that I actually followed regularly- it was really somewhere right around there at the turn of the century that I pretty much quit keeping up with current television because there wasn't much of anything grabbing my interest.
But I really wish "Early Edition" had gone on for another season- that was such a great show! I'd still love Kyle Chandler to come back and at least do a TV-movie for it someday.:smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Daria - It's one of my favorite shows. It certainly has a relatively decent following, but you don't hear about it all that much. Sure the characters voices can get a little annoying at times but, I think it's a very funny and clever look at teenage life. It's one of the few shows, especially one of the only ones in the 90s that actually understood what being a kid in high school/college can be like. Despite certain things being dated, the messages are timeless, and the characters' struggles are very relatable. Daria isn't just a sarcastic know it all that she's made out to be. She has a lot of genuinely heartfelt moments when she really shows her human side; and she has dreams and insecurities. And sometimes she can be a jerk, but usually she's called out for it and she grows as a person. Even her selfish, superficial, shallow sister, and her popular, dumb blonde cheerleader stereotype classmate has depth to her. They all have reasons for being the way they are, they seem one note at first, but they're not.
You'd also think you would hear more about it with it being a spin off of Beavis and Butthead and all.

Clone High - It was certainly an interesting concept. I think this was another MTV cartoon. It was about a high school where all of the students were clones of historical figures. I also like that it made fun of overly dramatic teen dramas from the early 2000s like Dawson Creek. The main characters were clones of Abe Lincoln, Joan of Arc, Cleopatra, JFK, and Ghandi. Unfortunately, it was cancelled after just one season.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Clone High did air on MTV in America, but it was created for Canada. It's pretty funny; haven't really watched it in a long while.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
TUGS - If I wasn't nostalgic for Thomas, TUGS would be my favorite show. After Season 2 of Thomas & Friends was released, director David Mitton decided to do a similar show, only with tugboats. Together with Robert Cordona, they created some of the best sets and models in children's live action animation in history. The stories were more mature than Thomas - explosions, dangers with logs and the like made them entertaining for children to watch and for the older sibling and mom and dad as well. Unfortunately, Clearwater Features (which created the series) went way over budget due to it, thus making them go bankrupt and cancelling the series after just thirteen episodes. Today, TUGS is mainly thought of as 'that failed sister series of Thomas', but it was so much more than that - die-hard fans of it are still around, waiting for a DVD release or a continuation of the series. It was a grand show.

mr3urious

Reaction score
TUGS - If I wasn't nostalgic for Thomas, TUGS would be my favorite show. After Season 2 of Thomas & Friends was released, director David Mitton decided to do a similar show, only with tugboats. Together with Robert Cordona, they created some of the best sets and models in children's live action animation in history. The stories were more mature than Thomas - explosions, dangers with logs and the like made them entertaining for children to watch and for the older sibling and mom and dad as well. Unfortunately, Clearwater Features (which created the series) went way over budget due to it, thus making them go bankrupt and cancelling the series after just thirteen episodes. Today, TUGS is mainly thought of as 'that failed sister series of Thomas', but it was so much more than that - die-hard fans of it are still around, waiting for a DVD release or a continuation of the series. It was a grand show.
And the producer would go on to create a spiritual successor in Theodore Tugboat, which lasted much longer.