Jason Segel talks The Muppets and his inspiration

Mupp

Reaction score
And you listen to that loser troll, why? He's someone who has a childish vendetta and wants to see us all miserable while he's enjoying the banality of Gnomeo and Gnomeiette and saying how WONDERFUL the slick graphics looked. He's a troll and nothing more. And then if it's successful he'll whine about it being a success. He's that kind of person, he was banned at least twice from this site, and even his name is snarky and delliberately hurtful to fans of puppetry. Let him keep the dull drone of endless factory made CGI kiddy noise.

Its not like I went out of my way, I recently ran across some of his comments by chance while searching through a site. And its not just him, there seems to be quite a few people out there who think that the Muppets are old news.
Its really disheartening, and it makes me nervous about the Muppets' future. Sometimes I'm not sure if there are enough Muppet fans who are willing to go see them on the big screen.

Still, I understand what you are saying. It just peeves me that he even exists. There are so few places these days where there are NOT trolls on the Internet.

And frogboy; Please don't lecture me. I know exactly what I said before, and it was NOT "several times"
My main grip was how he responded it to my comment about Cars not being all about NASCAR. If you want you can go back and see for yourself. It was rude, sarcastic, and smart-alecy. Where was the politeness and respect? That it what got me started.

I'm done with that now. I'm sorry if I caused trouble.

I just hope that no one is upset with me now. I am not the kind to go looking for trouble.

But seriously, is there any update about the filming?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Its not like I went out of my way, I recently ran across some of his comments by chance while searching through a site. And its not just him, there seems to be quite a few people out there who think that the Muppets are old news.
Its really disheartening, and it makes me nervous about the Muppets' future. Sometimes I'm not sure if there are enough Muppet fans who are willing to go see them on the big screen.

Still, I understand what you are saying. It just peeves me that he even exists. There are so few places these days where there are NOT trolls on the Internet.

And frogboy; Please don't lecture me. I know exactly what I said before, and it was NOT "several times"
My main grip was how he responded it to my comment about Cars not being all about NASCAR. If you want you can go back and see for yourself. It was rude, sarcastic, and smart-alecy. Where was the politeness and respect? That it what got me started.

I'm done with that now. I'm sorry if I caused trouble.

I just hope that no one is upset with me now. I am not the kind to go looking for trouble.

But seriously, is there any update about the filming?
It's probably not intentional, but you've referenced the movie incident three times already in posts 51, 68 and 81. It's just that sort of trolling/baiting aimed toward Beaker that will get a perfectly good thread shut down. I'm not upset, but want to avoid his or your hurt feelings saturating this topic. I haven't reported this behavior because the poor moderators have better things to do. Just agree to disagree, move on please and don't belabor the point. He has different tastes than you, but he never insulted you personally. Muppet Central is not a place for that. Thank you. :attitude:

Back on topic...the latest news is that shooting has not yet started. It will likely begin later this month or early next. Also, Amy Adams is in talks to star along side Jason Segel. She's adorable and would make a perfect fit for the Muppets! :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's what I just said I would do...

So...updates on filming?
Cool! So moving on...could filming be held up due to additional casting? The new reports of Amy Adams as an addition seem to reflect that not all is set-to-go quite yet. I think she's a perfect fit for the Muppets!

Mupp

Reaction score
Cool! So moving on...could filming be held up due to additional casting? The new reports of Amy Adams as an addition seem to reflect that not all is set-to-go quite yet. I think she's a perfect fit for the Muppets!
Yeah, sounds good.

Though I have to admit that I am getting a bit worried, I'm hoping that this movie will still get delivered on schedule.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds good.

Though I have to admit that I am getting a bit worried, I'm hoping that this movie will still get delivered on schedule.
I don't think there's any worry about getting it out by next Christmas. From my very, very limited inside knowledge, the hold up is due to being able to get everyone there in one cluster of time. Like Jamie referenced and the Entertainment Weekly article said, Amy Adams has two other movies going on, Jason Segel has a huge TV show and presumably other films, and the cameo stars are probably double or triple booked as well. I'm not positive by any means, but I would think that the delayed filming is so that they can find a time that works for all of the actors.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Or, knowing him, he has multiple accounts so he can agree with himself. :eek: As I've always said, CGI was magical... once. Now, even local furniture commercials have them. I see what you're talking about, but those people wouldn't want to see something good anyway. They go to CGI movies because they are CGI, and there's a lot less magic in animals dancing hip hop than their is in being innovative. Even if I didn't like the Muppets, I'd say there's a lot more magic in Kermit riding a bike than all of the pointless bouncy CGI characters in the Star Wars prequels and special editions. Yes, it was nice to see Yoda in action and do backflips, but the rest of the time, he just felt dead. Even if it's done right, it still feels like it's pasted in.

My best advice is ignore it. They purposely want to get to you, especially what'shisname who probably has a different alias every week. There's a difference in saying something can't really make a come back (with the misfires they've had since 2005, even die hards felt that way), and someone who spends his time going ON AND ON about it over and over. You make your point once, twice, several times... but not every time you hear there's a t-shirt for sale somewhere. There clearly are more people out there who want to actually see something that isn't a bunch of animals hip hop dancing. This will be different. And unless James Cameron pulls another over-hyped ego-piece out of no where, I'm sure that there will at least be a big family audience.

Mupp

Reaction score
Or, knowing him, he has multiple accounts so he can agree with himself. :eek: As I've always said, CGI was magical... once. Now, even local furniture commercials have them. I see what you're talking about, but those people wouldn't want to see something good anyway. They go to CGI movies because they are CGI, and there's a lot less magic in animals dancing hip hop than their is in being innovative. Even if I didn't like the Muppets, I'd say there's a lot more magic in Kermit riding a bike than all of the pointless bouncy CGI characters in the Star Wars prequels and special editions. Yes, it was nice to see Yoda in action and do backflips, but the rest of the time, he just felt dead. Even if it's done right, it still feels like it's pasted in.

My best advice is ignore it.
Yes, I get what you are saying. Usually I do ignore it, but sometimes a guy just gets sick of hearing about it, and a guy just needs to vent!

Generally, CGI is not necessarily a bad thing, but when used to excess, yes, it can be boring. Story should come first.

A long as you mentioned Star Wars, its incredible to me that almost every frame of the new movies involves green/blue screen in some way. Sometimes it even looks fake when the characters are in a completly digital environment.

Mupp

Reaction score
...Oh, and one more quick note about Gnomeo and Juliet;

I just found out from Wikipedia that initially, the film was going to be produced by Disney Animation, but John Lasseter shut it down. So eventually Touchstone got it.

So, another reason to be thankful for John Lasseter!

And its interesting to note, that on the audio commentary of Toy Story 2, after Hamm's line involving a lawn gnome, co-director Lee Unkrich says "We should make a whole movie about lawn gnomes" And Lasseter sternly says "Lee!" To which Lee relipes; "I'm fired aren't I?" :big_grin: :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, I get what you are saying. Usually I do ignore it, but sometimes a guy just gets sick of hearing about it, and a guy just needs to vent!
Sometimes you just gotta say that you like what you like, and no one can ever take that from you. Not even a self righteous twit that clearly has some issues.

Generally, CGI is not necessarily a bad thing, but when used to excess, yes, it can be boring. Story should come first.
Animation of any kind is just a medium. A way to sell the story and bring it to life. Again, I bring up two extremes on the matter. Rocky and Bullwinkle (the cartoon, That is) had some of the worst animation known to mankind (due to being outsourced to a very dismal little Mexican studio) but with great writing, great directing, and great voice acting, the show was one of the greatest things to happen in the realm of animation. Then take Pocahontas... the animation was beautiful, but it suffered from a terrible plot, bad writing, bad dialogue, dumb songs, historic revisioning, and even the voice acting was flat. Only person who sounded good was David Ogden Steirs. Mel Gibson was much better in Chicken Run. So yes, story, writing, acting and all that should always come first. But unfortunately, only a handful of people actually care about doing it that way.

I just found out from Wikipedia that initially, the film was going to be produced by Disney Animation, but John Lasseter shut it down. So eventually Touchstone got it.

So, another reason to be thankful for John Lasseter!

And its interesting to note, that on the audio commentary of Toy Story 2, after Hamm's line involving a lawn gnome, co-director Lee Unkrich says "We should make a whole movie about lawn gnomes" And Lasseter sternly says "Lee!" To which Lee relipes; "I'm fired aren't I?"
I mentioned it in a thread in General Discussion. The fact they went over his head to release it does worry me. That said, if Disney wants to make a movie about inanimate ornamental creatures that have a secret life, they need to make one of these guys