Jim Henson's Red Book

zns

Reaction score
Once again, the Henson Company has pulled out all the stops this year, not just with the surprising DVD releases, but with a new feature on their website. Enjoy. :smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Oh my - how many fans have wanted access or some type of publication of these for ages? This is a very exciting gift to the fans and a nifty way to celebrate his birthday!

(But of course how many of us would love to see his blue book or his little black book) :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope that excerpts from his book concerning his Muppet and Sesame Street projects will/ can be reprinted (i'd really love to see journal entries on the filming of Follow That Bird, as well as his involvement with those claymation segments from the first season).

Though I am a bit confused... It said he started this in 1965, but made notes before that... It's also interesting that he stopped in 1988 (maybe we'll see notes on InnerTube but I guess we won't learn much else about The Jim Henson Hour).

matleo

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I'm o nthe website but don't see what you're talking about?

--Matt

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I'm o nthe website but don't see what you're talking about?
This is what I'm referring to, at the top of the page:

In June 1965, 28-year-old Jim Henson started a written log of his activities in what became known as “The Red Book.” He noted down what had happened up until that point (deemed “Ancient History”) and then recorded anything that he felt was worth recording until the end of 1988.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had already found the blog via Tough Pigs but when navigatng henson.com I couldn't find any links to it on that site (interestingly, this was the first time in a long time I've been at henson.com, and was surprised to see that the website still has pages for various Muppet productions).

Anyway, here's the website: http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/

zns

Reaction score
Oh my - how many fans have wanted access or some type of publication of these for ages? This is a very exciting gift to the fans and a nifty way to celebrate his birthday!

(But of course how many of us would love to see his blue book or his little black book) :smile:
It's wonderful to know just how much his legacy is kept intact thanks to his family and from people like Karen Falk and Craig Shemen.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At first I thought this was just supposed to word-for-word copy excerpts from the book, but after reading a few it seems to just describe parts of the book. It refers to Jim in second person form, and refers to things that happen at later dates.

matleo

Reaction score
he part at the top kind of written in marker-like gont is the part from Jim's journal. The rest of the text is a more detailed explanation of the entry written (presumably) by Karen Falk, Craig Shemin, et al. it is fascinating to see a lot of it.

I love the picture of Jane, Don, and Jerry J performing on Ed Sullivan. You don't often see a lot of photos of either Jane or Don to begin with and photos of them performing are even rarer.

--Matt

zns

Reaction score
What's throwing me off though is that there are entries for things including shoothing spots for Southern Bread and a VTR presentation in 1987. All they have are the titles of those posts and nothing else. No text, pictures, or videos. What is that supposed to mean anyway?