Why Doesn't Boom Kids Take Submissions?

beaker

Reaction score
I was going to send Boom Kids some examples of my best work, which I feel would lend itself naturally to a Muppet title or work...yet I went to email them and it said "WE DO NOT TAKE ANY SUBMISSIONS!"

http://www.boom-kids.com/blog/contact/

Is this normal? I can imagine there's a LOT of talented artists on here who could do wonders in the realm of Pixar/Disney/Muppet/Henson related characters/covers and pinups.

Heck, I say we should start our own unauthorized slick color Muppet fanzine/comic publication or anthology. From what I've seen on here, TP and Muppet Mindset, there's some seriously rad artists and designers here that deserve to have their work seen in a broader fashion.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was going to send Boom Kids some examples of my best work, which I feel would lend itself naturally to a Muppet title or work...yet I went to email them and it said "WE DO NOT TAKE ANY SUBMISSIONS!"

http://www.boom-kids.com/blog/contact/

Is this normal? I can imagine there's a LOT of talented artists on here who could do wonders in the realm of Pixar/Disney/Muppet/Henson related characters/covers and pinups.

Heck, I say we should start our own unauthorized slick color Muppet fanzine/comic publication or anthology. From what I've seen on here, TP and Muppet Mindset, there's some seriously rad artists and designers here that deserve to have their work seen in a broader fashion.
I second that. I'm probably not suited for comic book illustration, but I know many people in these parts who are and could give some of Boom's fine artists a run for their Muppets! I think Boom has done a great job so far, but it's time to mix it up with some new blood, but under Langridge's story direction. :super:

beaker

Reaction score
I second that. I'm probably not suited for comic book illustration, but I know many people in these parts who are and could give some of Boom's fine artists a run for their Muppets! I think Boom has done a great job so far, but it's time to mix it up with some new blood, but under Langridge's story direction. :super:

Oh bro, I was seeing some astonishingly work flow from you both design and idea wise..what, a decade ago? Before I ever even messed around with photoshop. I actually am excited at the idea of what you could come up with now days in the realm of slick, modern stylish designs. Heck I feel inspired to try my hand at muppet art. Here's an example of my more recent comic art:
http://www.neoramen.com/archives.php?view=345

Do you have any examples of website/design/header/layout work youve done in the last year or two?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh bro, I was seeing some astonishingly work flow from you both design and idea wise..what, a decade ago? Before I ever even messed around with photoshop. I actually am excited at the idea of what you could come up with now days in the realm of slick, modern stylish designs. Heck I feel inspired to try my hand at muppet art. Here's an example of my more recent comic art:
http://www.neoramen.com/archives.php?view=345

Do you have any examples of website/design/header/layout work youve done in the last year or two?
Oooh, I have a very "little" something special coming soon. It won't me on MC. Unofficial, of course, but it's as far as I'd probably go down the Muppet illustration road. I'll keep you posted.

I've always enjoyed your style and work. Any artist that includes drawing finger-puppets on drawn fingers is fantastic IMHO! :wink: too funny!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't know a single comic company, indie or otherwise, that would take walk-ins off the street. It's just not how things are done. You know how many people they have lining up to say "I wanna draw Spider-man?" And like a good 99% of them would get turned away.

I dunno exactly how Dave Alverez got a nod to do a few covers leading to one of the issues of the King Arthur series, but that's about as independent scouting as they got. I'm sure they want to give a look to established comic book artists first, rather than people off the street. It's unfortunately the way this business is done.

Hmmm... like Sonic the Comic Online, right? Now that's a devoted fan base right there. And I don't think Sega threatened to sue them yet, and even some of the writers and artists from the actual published Sonic the Comic from the 90's contributed.

What I REALLY wanted to do was start up a Sesame the Comic online... but all the planning and all the time it would take... someone else really should start it up for me.

beaker

Reaction score
I wouldn't know a single comic company, indie or otherwise, that would take walk-ins off the street. It's just not how things are done. You know how many people they have lining up to say "I wanna draw Spider-man?" And like a good 99% of them would get turned away.

Off the street? No no, I meant a due process via online submission. I mean, can you imagine all the potential amazing artists and writers a company misses out on if they ONLY go with established artists? That's certainly not the kind of company I'd run, though I've always been more of a guerrilla wildcard(hence why I'm loving that new movie about Facebook)

I dunno exactly how Dave Alverez got a nod to do a few covers leading to one of the issues of the King Arthur series, but that's about as independent scouting as they got. I'm sure they want to give a look to established comic book artists first, rather than people off the street. It's unfortunately the way this business is done.
I'm glad they used him, yet another great Muppet artist from here. And yet another example of why the "we don't accept submissions" is lame. A lot of the artists out there in the industry are stuck in 90's Rob Liefeld land.

Hmmm... like Sonic the Comic Online, right? Now that's a devoted fan base right there. And I don't think Sega threatened to sue them yet, and even some of the writers and artists from the actual published Sonic the Comic from the 90's contributed.
Haven't seen it, is that a pretty good online anthology of fan artists? Companies now days almost choose to embrace or let be fan works than go against them. Lucasfilm is now totally cool with all fan films or anything fan related...even hosting fan films and providing all the sound effects. Microsoft and Bungie was totally cool with Red Vs Blue.

What I REALLY wanted to do was start up a Sesame the Comic online... but all the planning and all the time it would take... someone else really should start it up for me.
Just go for it. How many times have all of us said "Oh, I'd love to do this" but never get around to it. Even if its a quick doodle, sketch it out

beaker

Reaction score
Oooh, I have a very "little" something special coming soon. It won't me on MC. Unofficial, of course, but it's as far as I'd probably go down the Muppet illustration road. I'll keep you posted.

I've always enjoyed your style and work. Any artist that includes drawing finger-puppets on drawn fingers is fantastic IMHO! :wink: too funny!
Ooh I can't wait to see it. And thanks! (As much as I'm embarrassed by my older work) This thread actually inspires me to try my hand again at some muppet art/comics. In fact I'd love to see everyone's attempt at Muppet/Henson related art.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Off the street? No no, I meant a due process via online submission. I mean, can you imagine all the potential amazing artists and writers a company misses out on if they ONLY go with established artists? That's certainly not the kind of company I'd run, though I've always been more of a guerrilla wildcard(hence why I'm loving that new movie about Facebook)

I'm glad they used him, yet another great Muppet artist from here. And yet another example of why the "we don't accept submissions" is lame. A lot of the artists out there in the industry are stuck in 90's Rob Liefeld land.
It's an unfortunate system, I admit. But you gotta realize that they get a LOT of requests to want to do the comics, both from people who aren't fully established and ones that already are in the industry. I'm sure they have to turn down a lot of industry people too. Sesame Street doesn't allow submissions from independent animators (save for that contest) either. It's the way things work, and a system I'm no fan of. Wasn't there another member here who had done this beautiful painting of the Muppets sitting in a movie theater that got turned down WITHOUT even giving it a look? I at least give Boom credit for not being hugely nasty about it. Other comic companies are much more self righteous about it.

Long story short... you wanna draw their comics, I wanna draw their comics... but so don't hundreds of others with varying levels of skill.

Haven't seen it, is that a pretty good online anthology of fan artists? Companies now days almost choose to embrace or let be fan works than go against them. Lucasfilm is now totally cool with all fan films or anything fan related...even hosting fan films and providing all the sound effects. Microsoft and Bungie was totally cool with Red Vs Blue.
Ah, Sonic the Comic online. That's a pretty long story that I have the barest of understandings of. Basically there was this Sega magazine in the UK called Sonic the Comic. It wasn't exactly all Sonic comics... it was similar to our Nintendo Power in the way it also had reviews and contests... but in a way it was more like a Japanese style comics magazine. Sonic wasn't the only comic, but rather multiple Sega games had their own short series... I can only remember Decap Attack and I guess Streets of Rage. But anyway, it was a cult favorite, the Sonic storylines were actually quite dark and very planned out. Then, at some point they stopped running new comics (to the writers and artists dismay)...I think even in the middle of a huge arc that had to be abruptly ended without any major resolution. So I guess some disgusted fans said "Bloody 'eck!" (sorry if that sounds British racist... it's the only thing I could think of that passes the swear filter) and just decided to continue the story themselves.

This isn't a little fan arty deviant art thing. This is a full scale multi-contributor completely organized site that has been accepted as Fleetway Sonic the comic canon, with some of the old artists and writers contributing to it.

beaker

Reaction score
It's an unfortunate system, I admit. But you gotta realize that they get a LOT of requests to want to do the comics, both from people who aren't fully established and ones that already are in the industry.
Yes, but be it a deviant artist or an established artist; if the talent is there...hey why not? I was asked to be the inker for the Image comics title Death Jr. (based on the Playstation game) simply because an Image rep was impressed with what he saw at my table(I had a table with my art, zines and portfolio at an indie comic con years ago) A few days later my computer crashed, lost everything and went into a deep depression and respectfully declined the offer. Point being, you dont need to be "in the industry", have a degree or whatever when it comes to talent scouts.

I'm sure they have to turn down a lot of industry people too. Sesame Street doesn't allow submissions from independent animators (save for that contest) either.
Yeah, but that's Sesame Street which is known for being a very closed off thing. Even friends of the performers have a hard time getting on set to visit sometimes.

Wasn't there another member here who had done this beautiful painting of the Muppets sitting in a movie theater that got turned down WITHOUT even giving it a look?
Oh for real? That thing was amazing...Im sure Disney would hire him, or a third party company doing merchandise for Disney.

Long story short... you wanna draw their comics, I wanna draw their comics... but so don't hundreds of others with varying levels of skill.
Again, then my message is go for it. Noone's holding anyone back...there's facebook, flickr, photobucket, deviant art, here, endless forums, etc for which to post said art. The Disney police aint going to be busting down doors because of fan art. Heck tomorrow I could start up a regularly updated Muppet webcomic on tumblr if I so chose too.