2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

Beauregard

Reaction score
Can you balance there for nearly a year? Clearly some good clenching!

bea:zany:{I apologize for lowering the tone}regard

Rugby

Reaction score
Disappointed they had to go the oil route. Bush hasn't been in office for over 2 years and the whole oil thing has become tiresome and cliche. Plus, the idea is so far-fetched. They won't let anybody drill for oil in the middle of no where, let alone under a theater in the city.

I think they could have done much better. How about going with a plot like the theater is facing foreclosure due to some shady bankers? Or it is being taken by way of eminent domain to make room for a car dealership. Both realistic scenarios that can still be played up by character villains. Oh well. I hope the movie is good and not cheesy and hope Segal doesn't do full frontal in this one. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disappointed they had to go the oil route. Bush hasn't been in office for over 2 years and the whole oil thing has become tiresome and cliche. Plus, the idea is so far-fetched. They won't let anybody drill for oil in the middle of no where, let alone under a theater in the city.

I think they could have done much better. How about going with a plot like the theater is facing foreclosure due to some shady bankers? Or it is being taken by way of eminent domain to make room for a car dealership. Both realistic scenarios that can still be played up by character villains. Oh well. I hope the movie is good and not cheesy and hope Segal doesn't do full frontal in this one. :stick_out_tongue:
But VMX WAS the Bank foreclosure plot, and let's not forget, the cliche of an oil tycoon has been around since at least HOOVER was president. it's not some obvious political jab, but an homage to really really old plots like that. Besides, the whole coming together to save something is a maor cliche outright, but let's not forget the same could be said for TMM, GMC and MTM... all based on a wide variety of 1930's and 40's style cliched film. You have to admit, Jason DID his homework on that one.

Luke

Reaction score
But VMX WAS the Bank foreclosure plot, and let's not forget, the cliche of an oil tycoon has been around since at least HOOVER was president. it's not some obvious political jab, but an homage to really really old plots like that. Besides, the whole coming together to save something is a maor cliche outright, but let's not forget the same could be said for TMM, GMC and MTM... all based on a wide variety of 1930's and 40's style cliched film. You have to admit, Jason DID his homework on that one.
When i read the plot I did think it sounded very much like parts of VMX. Obviously it was quite some time ago when the Muppets weren't at their peak so I guess Disney are pretty sure that the mass public won't get the parallels, and anyway, this is a new start for the Muppets (i guess) and much more people will see this movie what with all the Disney marketing.

I don't think it's as much "homework" as it just being there are only so many things you can do with the Muppets when you have the job of re-introducing them. From years gone by we know they put on shows in a theatre so you either tell a story about them in the theatre or you talk about how they formed, or in this case you do a spin on both. Sure you can go on to do movies where they are having an adventure in a completely new setting (i.e GMC) or have them take on completely different characters in some classic story retelling (MCC or MTI) but that doesn't do anything to introduce the core characters or the whole concept of the Muppets so i can see why he went with this idea.

On the same note, i think different titles appeal to different target audiences so not sure which is best. "The Muppets" ... maybe not a great one for the hardcore fans, but a good one for the little ones just about to discover our Muppety pals. I think "greatest Muppet movie ever made" is very confusing for them as they haven't seen any of the others, but it's a great one for the fans and nostalgic adults who want to go see this as they loved the Muppets long ago and want to see the "rebirth" lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think it's as much "homework" as it just being there are only so many things you can do with the Muppets when you have the job of re-introducing them. From years gone by we know they put on shows in a theatre so you either tell a story about them in the theatre or you talk about how they formed, or in this case you do a spin on both. Sure you can go on to do movies where they are having an adventure in a completely new setting (i.e GMC) or have them take on completely different characters in some classic story retelling (MCC or MTI) but that doesn't do anything to introduce the core characters or the whole concept of the Muppets so i can see why he went with this idea.
Plus, the guy really didn't care for those story retelling stories, as was the thesis of this film. it really does seem like the only way to really get a movie down with these characters BEING themselves... though, you have to it admit, it does feel like they're following the first 3 films being classic showbiz cliches... TMM= Road movie, GMC= the "caper" film mashed with classic musical cinema, MTM= A Star is Born style plotline... this will be the "Let's put on a big show" plot. And yet, that is what VMX was sort of about, but then it fell into "A Wonderful Life" territory.

On the same note, i think different titles appeal to different target audiences so not sure which is best. "The Muppets" ... maybe not a great one for the hardcore fans, but a good one for the little ones just about to discover our Muppety pals. I think "greatest Muppet movie ever made" is very confusing for them as they haven't seen any of the others, but it's a great one for the fans and nostalgic adults who want to go see this as they loved the Muppets long ago and want to see the "rebirth" lol.
This movie just can't get a good title, nor can any of us think of one. "Greatest Muppet movie of all time EVER" is both a very dated manner of speech, and it also insists upon itself. The Muppets sounds generic and forgettable, and frankly, I'm not too crazy about the next Pooh movie just being called Winnie the Pooh. So what else can you call it? The Muppet Movie as a title was based slightly off the fact their TV series was called The Muppet Show, but all the others seemed a bit more specific. Great Muppet Caper WAS a caper, MTM... they were in New York... From Space? Yeah, that one was pretty self explanatory... even VMX had Christmas in the title.

Beauregard

Reaction score
How about: "Finding The Muppets" or "The Search for the Muppets" or "The Great Muppet Discovery" or "What a Muppet!"

Sidenote: I have yet to meet one person in the UK whose eyes light up or who show any interest whatsoever when I announce that there is a new Muppet film coming.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I still maintain "Hey, A Movie! (Yeah, It's Gonna Be Terrific)" is by far the best idea for a title, LOL.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I actually like, "The return of the Muppets" but it sounds a little star-wars-ish. Maybe they could name the movie whatever they name the telefone?

"The Muppet Theatre Fund"

Luke

Reaction score
So what else can you call it? The Muppet Movie as a title was based slightly off the fact their TV series was called The Muppet Show, but all the others seemed a bit more specific. Great Muppet Caper WAS a caper, MTM... they were in New York... From Space? Yeah, that one was pretty self explanatory... even VMX had Christmas in the title.
So if they did a Muppet road trip move in Australia they could call it "The Muppets Down Under" which would be quite funny in puppetry terms lol

Yeah i totally see all the original 3 Muppet movies were all old classic showbiz cliches. Many of the writers of those were really into all that. It worked well.