2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

beaker

Reaction score
It's entirely possible they could convert the movie to 3D after filming, but i don't think that's the direction they're heading. It would water down interest in the MuppetVision attraction and themepark business is very important to Disney. They just reformatted MuppetVision too. But hey, if it sell tickets and gives the film more exposure then I'm okay with it. I'll just see the 2D thanks.
Not sure why people would think a 3d Muppets film would at all take away business from the 20 year old MV3d attraction. To me this makes little sense.

However, I am beyond sick of the "3d" thing. Especially the post conversion stuff. Very very few films even look good or "work" in 3d". Coraline it worked, because it was real objects(not cgi) being filmed. But a lot of times, its just a horrible price gouging gimmick that looks terrible(Airbender, for instance)

This isnt an action film, there's no cgi. so I see no reason Disney would be interested in any post conversion

muppetperson

Reaction score
Not sure why people would think a 3d Muppets film would at all take away business from the 20 year old MV3d attraction. To me this makes little sense.
Because 20 years ago, 3D was very special and the only place you could see it was limited to Theme Parks and exclusive Cinemas.Now you can see it at your local Cinema,which takes the
uniqueness away and it's drawing power.If disney wanted to make another unique Muppet attraction, maybe they could extend the Statler and Waldorf animatronics and have a full Muppet Show performance with animatronic Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score

However, I am beyond sick of the "3d" thing. Especially the post conversion stuff. Very very few films even look good or "work" in 3d". Coraline it worked, because it was real objects(not cgi) being filmed. But a lot of times, its just a horrible price gouging gimmick that looks terrible(Airbender, for instance)

This isnt an action film, there's no cgi. so I see no reason Disney would be interested in any post conversion
3D was this idiotic fad that was supposed to save the film industry, being ravaged by their own stupidity and greed that caused the public to be cheap, lazy, and apathetic towards anything. After a huge hubris with Avatar's popularity, they thought "yeah! This is going to save us" and STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPIDLY started raising prices again (even on 2-D Tickets) and it wound up biting them on the butt, and now they're probably going to raise prices to make up for what they FEEL they lost for raising them in the first place (basically like every other industry that's hemorrhaging money now). Oh well, at least they can pull stuff off the internet to make an "example" of someone.

Here's the problem with 3D... I think it looks good for animated films anyway, but it's still just a gimmick that barely adds all that much to it. I'll see a GOOD CGI movie where the 3-D comes last and the plot comes first. Yet, if I see a 3D movie in 2D, guess what happens? You see all these random "COMING RIGHT AT YOUUUUU!" shots that seem forced, pointless, and even more pointless for not seeing it in 3D. It IS a gimmick and it's basically a theme park attraction.

I forget which one, but there was a Powerpuff Girls episode where they go to see something in 3D, and a character purposely stuck a baseball bat out to "poke" the audience in a completely inorganic manner. That's all it does... gives everyone the excuse to throw in "COMING RIGHT AT YOOOOOOUUUUU!" shots to a plotless soulless piece of junk that you only want to see BECAUSE of the gimmicky shots.

No, I do not think nor do I want this to be 3D. Instead of actually doing something, the Muppets would just reach out every 2 minutes and basically go "WOOOO WOOOO!"

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that Jim Hensons image is in some of the new shots in the press from outside the Muppet Telethon?

beaker

Reaction score
3D was this idiotic fad that was supposed to save the film industry, being ravaged by their own stupidity and greed that caused the public to be cheap, lazy, and apathetic towards anything. After a huge hubris with Avatar's popularity, they thought "yeah! This is going to save us" and STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPIDLY started raising prices again (even on 2-D Tickets) and it wound up biting them on the butt, and now they're probably going to raise prices to make up for what they FEEL they lost for raising them in the first place (basically like every other industry that's hemorrhaging money now). Oh well, at least they can pull stuff off the internet to make an "example" of someone.

Here's the problem with 3D... I think it looks good for animated films anyway, but it's still just a gimmick that barely adds all that much to it. I'll see a GOOD CGI movie where the 3-D comes last and the plot comes first. Yet, if I see a 3D movie in 2D, guess what happens? You see all these random "COMING RIGHT AT YOUUUUU!" shots that seem forced, pointless, and even more pointless for not seeing it in 3D. It IS a gimmick and it's basically a theme park attraction.

I forget which one, but there was a Powerpuff Girls episode where they go to see something in 3D, and a character purposely stuck a baseball bat out to "poke" the audience in a completely inorganic manner. That's all it does... gives everyone the excuse to throw in "COMING RIGHT AT YOOOOOOUUUUU!" shots to a plotless soulless piece of junk that you only want to see BECAUSE of the gimmicky shots.

No, I do not think nor do I want this to be 3D. Instead of actually doing something, the Muppets would just reach out every 2 minutes and basically go "WOOOO WOOOO!"
There's a perfect HD scan of Muppet Vision 3d on youtube someone stuck on there not long ago for those who havent seen it. Its funny how they specifically make fun of doing 3d gimmick stuff coming at you.

The problem with 3d is that the effect and "wow" factor wears off after awhile. The mind can only process so much. Plus people's brains and vision are all different. Factor in where you happen to be sitting(if youre not in a perfect spot, you see the blurryness of the characters)

The 3d craze began with Meet the Robinsons in early 2008, and its no so ubiquitous that even the lamest movies get 3d. I mean 3d Yogi Bear? Who would even see that in 2d?

3d is mainly appropriate for CERTAIN films. Like Tron Legacy, Avatar, or Beowulf(which was amazing in Imax 3d) Other films, it just doesnt work. Especially the post conversion(tho I LOVED both Up and Monsters vs Aliens in 3d)

Pork

Reaction score
It's funny that alot of you are saying your sick of the whole 3D movie thing. (I agree with you wholeheartedly)

But it works for some people. My Dad would go to a movie for the soul purpose of it being in 3D. He just loves it. Doesn't really care what movie it is :stick_out_tongue: and then he raves on after the movie about how he suggested 3D tv year and years ago but nobody listened to him. ha.

Just thought I'd let you all know that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean 3d Yogi Bear? Who would even see that in 2d?
Family Film obsessed idiots. TRUST ME on that one. Seriously. TRUST ME on that. At least Yogi wasn't a sassy Hispanic comedian. That's actually a plus in kid's movies these days. We've sunk that low.

Yeah, I saw it because I was in an Oscar the Grouch grouchy (being New year's Day and realize I've wasted another year of my life) mood and wanted to see something terrible so I could mock the previews and then complain about it. I'll give it this though... I didn't complain about as much of it as I thought I would... and I took the villain as an allegory for what happened to the state under a certain oil slick haired governor who screwed us to focus on presidential ambitions... and I cracked up that his last name was Brown. But overall the movie should have been called "Ranger Smith gets into a Family Friendly Relationship with a Mary Sue that never existed." I say it sucked, but NOT to the extent they made the cartoon something it wasn't. Again, UNDERDOG.

So anyway, I saw it at this ghetto cheap theater in 2-D, and half of it WAS "Woooo Wooo" into the camera. But I give them credit... they used a Weird Al song for no reason.

That said, you have to be VERY pathetic to want to achieve the same thing with Garfield and Alvin and the Chipmunks, turning Ranger Smith a personality devoid character who only cares about getting Family Friendly some. What they did to Jon "Once spent an hour yelling at a pot roast" Arbuckle was a CRIME!

(I also have to mention I just missed Rapunzel and the next one wasn't for hours, Tron wasn't playing there and it would have been 10 bucks vs 6... actually MORE since the only places around me ONLY had the 3D... and I actually regret not seeing the Indian film that movie place runs... I saw a whole lot of people walking their who were going to see it. Plus, I had a morbid curiosity. I regret seeing it, but not as much as I did when I was dragged to the live action 101 Dalmatians years ago)

But onto the next subject, yeah. I only expect to pay for a GOOD Dreamworks film or a Pixar film (since I wind up seeing them twice, usually). And I did like the 3D presentation of NBX and wish they did it annually. But it's too much. Half the movies that use it are glorified theme park attractions, and half of them are for ugly 3rd and 4th party animated films like Gnomeo and Juliette so people won't realize how much they suck without goofy special effects.

Seriously, what is up with that James CaMORON film about the cave?

beaker

Reaction score
Family Film obsessed idiots. TRUST ME on that one. Seriously. TRUST ME on that. At least Yogi wasn't a sassy Hispanic comedian. That's actually a plus in kid's movies these days. We've sunk that low.

Yeah, I saw it because I was in an Oscar the Grouch grouchy (being New year's Day and realize I've wasted another year of my life) mood and wanted to see something terrible so I could mock the previews and then complain about it. I'll give it this though... I didn't complain about as much of it as I thought I would... and I took the villain as an allegory for what happened to the state under a certain oil slick haired governor who screwed us to focus on presidential ambitions... and I cracked up that his last name was Brown. But overall the movie should have been called "Ranger Smith gets into a Family Friendly Relationship with a Mary Sue that never existed." I say it sucked, but NOT to the extent they made the cartoon something it wasn't. Again, UNDERDOG.

So anyway, I saw it at this ghetto cheap theater in 2-D, and half of it WAS "Woooo Wooo" into the camera. But I give them credit... they used a Weird Al song for no reason.

That said, you have to be VERY pathetic to want to achieve the same thing with Garfield and Alvin and the Chipmunks, turning Ranger Smith a personality devoid character who only cares about getting Family Friendly some. What they did to Jon "Once spent an hour yelling at a pot roast" Arbuckle was a CRIME!

(I also have to mention I just missed Rapunzel and the next one wasn't for hours, Tron wasn't playing there and it would have been 10 bucks vs 6... actually MORE since the only places around me ONLY had the 3D... and I actually regret not seeing the Indian film that movie place runs... I saw a whole lot of people walking their who were going to see it. Plus, I had a morbid curiosity. I regret seeing it, but not as much as I did when I was dragged to the live action 101 Dalmatians years ago)

But onto the next subject, yeah. I only expect to pay for a GOOD Dreamworks film or a Pixar film (since I wind up seeing them twice, usually). And I did like the 3D presentation of NBX and wish they did it annually. But it's too much. Half the movies that use it are glorified theme park attractions, and half of them are for ugly 3rd and 4th party animated films like Gnomeo and Juliette so people won't realize how much they suck without goofy special effects.

Seriously, what is up with that James CaMORON film about the cave?
Bro...there is no excuse for seeing a film like Yogi Bear. I could barely make it through the trailer, and wouldnt even waste my bandwidth downloading it. But I know you do like your classic cartoons and keep up with how the modern versions are handled.

I woulda seen Tron Legacy; that film(at least visually) was one of the most astonishing pieces of filmmaking I've seen in ages.
I guess Im lucky, over here all Regal and UA cinemas are $5 all day on Tuesday, and the first showing of any movie in my area is $5.50. Still, not many films out now worth watching(aside from Tron, tho that needs to be seen in 3d) I didnt care at all for The Fighter, True Grit, or Black Swan(and usually Im a sucker for Oscar bait)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bro...there is no excuse for seeing a film like Yogi Bear. I could barely make it through the trailer, and wouldnt even waste my bandwidth downloading it. But I know you do like your classic cartoons and keep up with how the modern versions are handled.
Hey, I ain't making that mistake again. Though I did walk away with a couple things.

People obsessed about Family films and the ratings system will laugh uproariously at the very same once considered vulgar rap music they would have written complaint letters to radio stations, especially if it's used out of context. They'll also laugh uproariously at dumb jokes in the Gnomeo and Juliette trailer. Yeah... I'm not going to one of these again, and the longer I was there, the more I realized what a mistake it was. Yeah, I should have waited the 2 hours and saw Rapunzel.

It does remind me of a line from a cartoon I once saw, and to get to the complaints department you had to take the tour, to which the guy says "It's a lousy tour, so you'll have more to complain about."

And all things considered, it was STILL less embarrassing than Yo Yogi! Oh well, at least they didn't turn the concept upside down. You don't know how many of these films just abandon the concept.