Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm saying that the little kids are getting the educational content out of the show, whether it follows a more commercial/magazine format, or if it follows a predictable block format.
I know and that's fine; that's your opinion. I just don't agree. Not trying to be rude, just explaining. :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The problem with the block format is that it leaves barely anytime for random inserts. If we get a really long street story, we won't even see a Muppet insert for the rest of the show. The format limits the use of character. The only ones who we know for sure will appear are Abby, Murray, Bert & Ernie and Elmo. Other than that, we hardly see a Cookie Monster sketch, or a Count one, or even Grover. We saw a lot of AM bits in Season 41, most of them being parodies.

They had to create a spot in the new format for non-show-like bits. It's like the season 33 JTE. You should've have to assign a spot for random inserts, the show should entirely consist of them. Maybe if the two Season 38 episodes had Elmo in the plot, we'd see more of them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really don't understand everyone's hatred towards the block format, unless it's simply because everyone's in that sort of "purist" mindframe that they'll only accept the original commercial/magazine format.
It's not so much I hate the block format as I find that it hinders the writing in cases. Again, I sight that episode about the Road Trip as an example. the tension of certain storylines being stretched out and serialized throughout the episode makes them more exciting, and there's no need for awkward time jumps and transitions in the story. That's what the "commercials" gave the illusion of.

But then again, I think you CAN have the block format AND mix it up with a little magazine. I don't like things being disconnected and like you're watching a series of different shows in an hour period. And that really didn't take effect until last season.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I don't watch Sesame Street anymore, as I'm outside of the States, and also because I don't have a TV. (I have a TV set, but no cable or satellite; just a set for watching DVDs with)

I have, however, been keeping up with the show via Youtube and the Muppet Wiki. All I have to say is, I really don't care that much for the recent stuff. I think it's because of the Elmo and Abby hoopla. Elmo's okay, I just don't like the fact that he's the "big thing" now. It's Abby that I have a bone to pick with. I just think she's too goody-goody and too girly even for Sesame Street.

But hey, who am I to complain? Sesame Street wasn't made for us (those way above 5 years of age) to begin with. If the kids are enjoying it (the show as it is today), then so be it.

And the funny thing is, a few years ago, I was staying at a home school/camp run by some friends, one of them a mother (American) of three kids, all of whom are aware of Sesame Street - and the Muppets in general - and are about the target age group (I'd say about 5-6 years old). I showed them some 1969-77 episodes I had on my computer (ones that were ripped off from Noggin), and they loved them, especially the Hawaii episodes and skits with Ernie and Bert (they especially laughed at the "Imaginary glass of water at night" sketch) And interestingly enough, not once did I hear any of them ask "Where's Elmo?" or "Who's that old man?" (Mr. Hooper)

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I'm just going to throw it out there and say that I don't hate current SST on the basis of characters. I really like Abby as a character and I do enjoy a fair part of the writing. I am however an opponent of the current block format, I would like to see a return to the street story segments split up over the course of the episode. I'm not one to whine too much over this though; I intend to watch SST in future and continue to enjoy it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have, however, been keeping up with the show via Youtube and the Muppet Wiki. All I have to say is, I really don't care that much for the recent stuff. I think it's because of the Elmo and Abby hoopla. Elmo's okay, I just don't like the fact that he's the "big thing" now. It's Abby that I have a bone to pick with. I just think she's too goody-goody and too girly even for Sesame Street.
I've said all too many times, Abby's potential as a character is hindered by her role as the girl character mascot. Same deal with Elmo. The characters seem to have friend of a friend stuck with each other when that friend has to leave early, and then awkwardly have to hang out with each other the rest of the day chemistry. Elmo works best with Zoe, Oscar, Grover, even Telly and Big Bird in cases... Abby works best with basically everyone besides Elmo. Why they don't have any segments where Telly is nervous or worried about how she can screw her magic up is beyond me. That seems rife with comedic tension.

Again, I liken it to if Disney had a show where Mickey and Pooh were teamed up... without either of the other's friends. Mickey can't be funny without Donald, Goofy or Pluto to play off of, Pooh isn't that interesting without Piglet or Tigger... they're only paired up because they're popular.

I actually quite like Abby, but again, she needs to do more.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I've said all too many times, Abby's potential as a character is hindered by her role as the girl character mascot. Same deal with Elmo. The characters seem to have friend of a friend stuck with each other when that friend has to leave early, and then awkwardly have to hang out with each other the rest of the day chemistry. Elmo works best with Zoe, Oscar, Grover, even Telly and Big Bird in cases... Abby works best with basically everyone besides Elmo. Why they don't have any segments where Telly is nervous or worried about how she can screw her magic up is beyond me. That seems rife with comedic tension.

I actually quite like Abby, but again, she needs to do more.
I second this, but I don't find /so/ much that awkwardness interferes with humour; I really enjoyed quite a few Elmo and Abby skits. I agree that Abby should be placed with Telly, it seems only logical to put two opposites together to create humour. :smile:

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
It'd be nice if they brought back some of the classic characters to interact with the newer ones such as Abby (I've only seen her interact with Telly, Elmo, Zoe, Rosita, Snuffy Cookie Monster, Grover, Oscar, Big Bird, The Count and Baby Bear). I could see Abby and Mumford (with Jerry doing the voice and Matt doing the puppetry) interacting with hilarious results, both have trouble doing magic. Abby with Bert and Ernie would be funny as well.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Abby and Mumford would be a great pair! I really think that would be funny as well as her and Telly in a skit together. Telly could be worried once she begins doing her magic. And maybe Abby could even acciedentally turn Telly into a pumpkin.

I agree with Canadian Fan, Abby should interact with more characters. And some classic characters would work really well with her. Abby & Bert and Ernie should do something together, although I don't know how the skit might end up. Another classic character that might be good with Abby might be Sherlock Hemlock :smile:search:smile:. I could definetely see something with the two of them together!

SSLFan

Reaction score
One of the issues that has been bothersome to me is the extreme lack of Big Bird.

Seriously Sesame Workshop? How can one have trouble writing for Big Bird? Or is it so much that you choose NOT to write for him, yet you've managed to shove out a bunch of Elmo-Abby-snorefest episodes these past two seasons. Yeah, I know they're your big "Meal ticket" characters, but you don't have to pair them up together ALL THE TIME. Face it, ELMO & ABBY HAVE NO CHEMISTRY TOGETHER, so stop trying to force to make it to work, IT'S NOT.

But back to the topic, how can you have trouble writing for a character you've written 40 years for? What's happened now where you can't find a simple story for the bird to carry throughout the whole show instead of reducing him to quick 30-second cameos in a street scene? Characters like Bert, Grover, Cookie, etc. have an advantage because they can always appear in a muppet sketch-insert(if time lets them - thanks "block format":smirk:) if absent in the main storyline. Big Bird however, was CREATED for the sole purpose of appearing ON THE STREET. So if he isn't seen in a street story, he's done for the entire show.

It's really coming to a point of concern that is if Big Bird should just be considerd "semi-retired" now. I know fans in the past have said how he and others are barely on the show anymore. This is really the case now! Seriously, what's become of this show?