Your Muppet mistakes

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
When you first started out as a Muppet fan, what mistakes did you make, if any? Ever mispronounced a character's name or go around telling other Muppet fans what a great job Dave Goelz did on Marjory the Trash Heap's voice?

Here are some of mine...

*I thought Scooter was a real "gopher".

*I mistook Mildred for Janice, and it was shocking to find out they made "janice" (mildred) plush dolls... (they don't; i just thought they meant "mildred" when they said "janice")

*I thought Dave Goelz voiced Marjory the Trash Heap myself...:embarrassed:

Puckrox

Reaction score
Well, I've only recently come back to being a Muppet fan (1st of January), but here are a couple mistakes I've made these first weeks of the year:

* I ranted at a friend about how great "Steve Whitmore" and "Dave Golaz" are. I then learned that's not how you pronounce their names.

* I didn't know who Uncle Deadly was until a couple days ago... :embarrassed:

* Definitely thought Uncle Traveling Matt was Jim Henson for a looooong time, then recently I recognized Dave's voice in one of the lines and realized I was wrong.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Enjoy Muppet fandom! You'll love it around here! :smile:

I've loved SS for my whole life, but I only came back to Muppets again in the past couple of years.

Some more...

*For almost my whole life I pronounced Snuffleupagus snuffleufagus.

*I called Steve Whitmire "Steve Whitmere"...VERY embarrassing, especially since I'm such a big fan of him...:embarrassed::embarrassed:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I thought Gladys from Sesame Street was a male character, lol. Yes I know she was a cow, but she did sound like a guy. :wink:

In Great Muppet Caper, I thought Piggy really was a highly successful model and not just faking it. What can I say, I was a kid and I believed her! :mad:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Well i've literally been a Muppet Freak since i was a baby (seriously - my parents definately noticed how strongly i responded to them pretty much right away) so lots of my mistakes were due to my young age along with the "newness".

But some i remember are originally thinking Fozzie's name was "Fonzie", Gonzo was "Gongzo" (hey- he always was trying to hit the O in the logo like a gong, after all!) and that Biff and Sully were "Biz and Silly".

I also though Grover was a girl for the longest time.

When i saw my first episode of Fraggle Rock at age 11, i too thought Jim was doing Matt and Frank was Boober...then i noticed neither was in the credits...

And until i saw the rerun of it the year after TMS finished its run and all 120 episodes were shown again, i had remembered the Valerie Harper episode as the one where George the Janitor fell in love with Miss Piggy.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I had some mistakes...

~ I thought Big Bird was a girl... Yeah, I know now! But he sounded like a girl...

~ I originally thought Steve Whitmire's name was pronunced: White-mire. Now I know it's Whit-mer.

Actually, that's all I've got. But I've made my mistakes!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I joined MC as Bovegard...thinking that was how Beauregard was spelt.
I used to think Elmo was a girl and was shocked to find he wasn't.
I too used to call Steve Whitmire, Steve Whitemere...even when I was a founding member of SWAEHB.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
What's SWAEHB? Does it have to do with Steve Whitmire? Is it a club? Is Steve Whitmire a member?

Also, for a long time I believed Gonzo was a bird. Feathers, beak...and I was TERRIFIED of him!

And about Scooter: I always thought he was a gopher who had his little holes he dug all over inside the theater (and he wasn't employed there; he just dug his holes and didn't care if others minded), and, much to everyone's annoyment, gave mean comments and complaints to everyone everywhere he popped up...I think I was thinking about a mix of Scooter, Statler & Waldorf, and Gopher from Winnie the Pooh.

As for me, about GMC, it isn't a mistake (or maybe it is...), but the first time I watched it and got what was going on, I saw Nicky at the Dubonnet Club and thought he was so silly. Then I saw him next to some sort of door and wondered, "What's he doin there?" It was only until another fan watching with me mentioned he was evil that I understood and thought, "Oh, no! Not him! Why him? He's so silly and funny, it can't be!"

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
One more...

... When I first saw Sprocket on A Muppet Family Christmas, I thought he was a real dog until someone told me that he was a puppet. The magic of Steve Whitmire.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Speaking of Nicky Holiday and the door...it wasn't until about the third of forth time that I watched it that I even realised why he went and unlocked that door. I mean, I knew he was the bad guy, but I just never quite got that scene for some reason...

I also always thought that Joan Rivers said, "I had some boy turn on myself" rather than "I had some bad tuna myself..." after Piggy said that her frog turned on her.