What Surprises Will The Film Hold?

beaker

Reaction score
Something I haven't seen discussed yet...I wonder what everyone here is hoping for or can guess as to what easter eggs, fan service, or "noooo way?" moments will be there?

My guesses:

- Walter will be seen, or at least reference, going on Muppet fan forums and blogs/sites

- We'll have at least one JHH cameo(be it Zondra, Chip, or dare I say...Digit?)

- We get a cameo from Big Bird or Cookie Monster.

- Pee Wee Herman will have a cameo

- We'll get at least one wayyyyyyyyyy out of left field
Muppet cameo, as in noone could have seen it coming
(ie: rebuilt Scred?)

- Grownup Skeeter

- Sam the Eagle will be seen with Tea Party activists pr with conservative politicians on a Fox News type spoof

- Acknowlegment of Jim Henson in some form beyond the banner near the El Capitan, as well as tribute/reference to Richards and Juhl

- Rowlf the dog and Scooter will jokingly reference how they havent been seen much in the last couple decades

- Newsman will have a completely bizarre and unbelievably nuts scene

- We'll get yet another Doc Hopper reference

- We'll get a play on some of the perception that the Muppets
are hasbeens or baby stuff. Maybe we'll have a scene with Kermit saying how companies started making baby Muppet merchandise and he knew it was the end of his career?

- Something will happen, and one of the Muppets will notice that they're on a youtube video someone uploaded(maybe one of Gonzo's stunts or something in public)

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
I hope it has a moment or two where comedy blends into drama. :embarrassed:

The scenario certainly leaves the door open for it.

The Muppet Movie had a few mixtures like that.

This makes the comedy even funnier--more alive--and it takes us straight into the Muppets' world.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I hope it has a moment or two where comedy blends into drama. :embarrassed:
I agree, I think that is when the Muppets are at their best. Kermit's already been quoted as saying that it is one of his most dramatic roles! (And he played Captain Smollet!)

dwmckim

Reaction score
I fully expect this to be Easter Egg filled. Think one of the Muppet Show Comic Books onscreen with the visual references.

But speaking of "surprise", i just hold onto hope that there ARE still surprises by the time it's November - between all the various tidbits and spoilers and what will no doubt be revealed in trailers and the like, i hope it's not a situation where we've already "seen it all" when we're sitting down in the theatre.

I still hold out hope that we get something totally hush-hush like it turning out that the producers were able to manage to get the Charles Grodin cameo in there after it had been denied early on by Charles due to his schedule. Things like that would be a total joyride to experience completely unspoiled.

My wish: that we can all experience going into a theater during its first showing (midnight or whenever it is in our respective areas) where the entire crowd attending are the biggest Muppet Freaks (giving us a chance to meet fellow "real life" fans that aren't active in the online community) and breaking out in total massive torrents of applause at things like Easter Eggs, surprises, return of various Muppets onscreen, inside jokes, etc.

My own personal wish for a surprise "NO WAY?" cameo? Taminella!

Or a scene with a bunch of people gathered around the green room coffee maker sipping and then panning over to Wontkins saying "I always hated this stuff!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
- We'll get at least one wayyyyyyyyyy out of left field
Muppet cameo, as in noone could have seen it coming
(ie: rebuilt Scred?)
Hey, I wouldn't have expected Thog to get rebuilt. I'm hoping that Lips appears on-screen (he was rebuilt a few years ago, so why not?).

I'll be surprised if it has any Jim Henson Hour or Muppets Tonight characters besides Pepe, if it even does have Pepe, in some sort of significant role. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Carl were to get a scene or dialogue, but do the writers know their obscure monsters by name, or would any monster besides Sweetums and Uncle Deadley be referred to as "monster" or "monster #2" or something like that?

A cameo by a Sesame Street character or characters would be a welcome surprise. I doubt it, as Disney supposedly wants to make a distinction among the brands, but Segal and Stoller have said that they wanted it to have a classic feel, and the first three movies all had Sesame Street cameos. And considering Disney did allow for Kermit to be on the cover of the Silly Storytime DVD I wouldn't be surprised if Sesame Workshop returned the favor. Would it be too much of an easter egg if a Sesame Street character were to appear and say, "You weren't expecting me to be in this, were you?"

Another dream surprise I thought of yesterday would be if Charles Durning and Austin Pendleton made a cameo as a duo, though not as Doc Hopper and Max. It would be funny if they got mistaken for those characters. Maybe even do soem sort of reversal where Austin Pendleton plays the meaner character while Charles Durning has a concience.

Or maybe a scene with celebrities who have appeared in Muppet movies, saying that they are members of "The 'I was in a Muppet movie' Club". Too bad they can't get Charles Grodin, but Charles Durning, Austin Pendleton, Diana Rigg, Elliot Gould, Tim Curry, and Michael Caine (oh and Kathy Griffin, who's been confirmed to make a cameo) would make good members.

beaker

Reaction score
I fully expect this to be Easter Egg filled. Think one of the Muppet Show Comic Books onscreen with the visual references.

But speaking of "surprise", i just hold onto hope that there ARE still surprises by the time it's November - between all the various tidbits and spoilers and what will no doubt be revealed in trailers and the like, i hope it's not a situation where we've already "seen it all" when we're sitting down in the theatre.

I still hold out hope that we get something totally hush-hush like it turning out that the producers were able to manage to get the Charles Grodin cameo in there after it had been denied early on by Charles due to his schedule. Things like that would be a total joyride to experience completely unspoiled.

My wish: that we can all experience going into a theater during its first showing (midnight or whenever it is in our respective areas) where the entire crowd attending are the biggest Muppet Freaks (giving us a chance to meet fellow "real life" fans that aren't active in the online community) and breaking out in total massive torrents of applause at things like Easter Eggs, surprises, return of various Muppets onscreen, inside jokes, etc.

My own personal wish for a surprise "NO WAY?" cameo? Taminella!

Or a scene with a bunch of people gathered around the green room coffee maker sipping and then panning over to Wontkins saying "I always hated this stuff!"
Yeah I'm hoping for some really super esoteric and obscure out of left field references to past JHC/Muppet stuff. The fact they dressed JHC as Muppet Studios and have a big JH banner outside the El Capitan shows they havent completely severed the Muppets from JH.

While I do share your concern about the spoiler pictures and news, it's up to us to have self control in what we see. Usually I avoid too many production pictures and rumors/spoilers with films coming out(like when Nolan was filming The Dark Knight) but with this one...I want to eat up every little nano-crumb that comes out. I know for a fact that all of us will be immensely surprised by stuff in the film once it comes out.

And by golly, I too can just imagine the giddyness of seeing this baby at a midnight screening(if they have it) and or opening day and hopefully running into or seeing other Muppet fans. Or going with Muppet fans.

That's why I'm so adamant at hoping Disney does an official Muppet fan Weekend at Disneyland, or going to D23 in August on the day of when the Muppets will be the focus. I'm even going to Comic Con finally, as I'm sure there will be some Muppety stuff there.

This is OUR year, the year we've been waiting for since 1998 when we first started dreaming of an "official comeback year" on here. And it's been 21 years overall in the making, but it's finally almost here.

beaker

Reaction score
Hey, I wouldn't have expected Thog to get rebuilt. I'm hoping that Lips appears on-screen (he was rebuilt a few years ago, so why not?).

I'll be surprised if it has any Jim Henson Hour or Muppets Tonight characters besides Pepe, if it even does have Pepe, in some sort of significant role. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Carl were to get a scene or dialogue, but do the writers know their obscure monsters by name, or would any monster besides Sweetums and Uncle Deadley be referred to as "monster" or "monster #2" or something like that?

A cameo by a Sesame Street character or characters would be a welcome surprise. I doubt it, as Disney supposedly wants to make a distinction among the brands, but Segal and Stoller have said that they wanted it to have a classic feel, and the first three movies all had Sesame Street cameos. And considering Disney did allow for Kermit to be on the cover of the Silly Storytime DVD I wouldn't be surprised if Sesame Workshop returned the favor. Would it be too much of an easter egg if a Sesame Street character were to appear and say, "You weren't expecting me to be in this, were you?"

Another dream surprise I thought of yesterday would be if Charles Durning and Austin Pendleton made a cameo as a duo, though not as Doc Hopper and Max. It would be funny if they got mistaken for those characters. Maybe even do soem sort of reversal where Austin Pendleton plays the meaner character while Charles Durning has a concience.

Or maybe a scene with celebrities who have appeared in Muppet movies, saying that they are members of "The 'I was in a Muppet movie' Club". Too bad they can't get Charles Grodin, but Charles Durning, Austin Pendleton, Diana Rigg, Elliot Gould, Tim Curry, and Michael Caine (oh and Kathy Griffin, who's been confirmed to make a cameo) would make good members.

Yes! I love it. All your ideas. We know in recent years the Muppets have been known for self-depreciating humor. On Muppets Kitchen with Cat Cora, Rowlf made reference to having been out of work for some time, talking about how he'll take any work he can get.

It would be cool if past TMS and Muppet trilogy film stars made a cameo, like ya said an "Ive been on past Muppet productions club". The fact all previous Muppet show productions are acknowledged in this meta-real world within the movie is amazing...and there's so much to play with.

I love your idea of Big Bird having a few second cameo saying something like that. Maybe a tuxed Cookie Monster. Hey why not? They appeared in the original movies.

Maybe we'll even get some revelations? Akin to Zoot saying he was Jewish.

I myself can't wait for all the toys/merch AND the video games!

Though I have to wonder...where the heck is Pepe in all of this?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I was going to say, actually. None, if we don't be careful. It's just too hard NOT to look at these things.

Convincing John

Reaction score
That would be HILARIOUS!

I always love the Muppeteer cameos in the Muppet movies. There's been a bunch of 'em. My wish is to see some in some form for this movie. I could see the Muppets passing by a furniture store window and Jerry Nelson is napping in one of the recliners.

Jerry, Steve, Dave...good grief even Frank if he'd be up for it. I'd be happy with any of 'em. It would even be fun to have Sesame Street cameos in there, be they characters or Muppeteers. I think it would be cool to see Caroll and Debi Spinney at an outdoor cafe or something.

I still say while Walter is blogging, he should have a muffin next to the keyboard. It would cost the caterering department what...a couple bucks? To us it would be an instant classic Muppet image.

I could also see a scene where (if they do any driving), the leather clad motorcycle pigs from the "I Get Around" number could appear. (A reference to another popular Muppet website...) :smile:

Convincing John

Puckrox

Reaction score
I love Muppeteer cameos! I'd love it if there were a couple. They're always fun, plus it's a nice little nod to the huge muppet fans, like us, because we can go, "OOOOH, it's Jerry!" and others will be all, "...Who?" :smile: