Would it be blasphemy if...(fanfiction question)

bazingababe24

Reaction score
...I assigned eye colors to the Fraggles in my potential fanfiction? I'm sure many of you guys would take it as artistic license, but there is always the odd purist out there, so I wanted to see what you guys thought first. If Fraggles were actual, flesh-and-blood creatures (and I like to believe that they are:coy:), they would probably have more pigmentation to their eyes, and it would be an added layer of description to their personalities as well as their appearances.

I'm a troper on TV Tropes as well as a MC member, and I'm fascinated by the fact that in literature, eye colors have certain connotations attached to them. For example, gray eyes are associated with both innocence and great wisdom. Guess what color eyes Jim Henson had?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well...take it from someone who has written a fanfiction story for a Gonzo/Piggy romance and also a (yes, truely) Sam and Janice romance...there's a lot that readers will forgive you for!

Puckrox

Reaction score
Yeah, eye color, in the scheme of things, is no big deal. Fanfictions often take great liberties or twist things around. So go for it. :coy:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Fanfiction is all about experimentation, and considering some of the liberties I've seen taken---shoot, that I've taken!--eye color is no big deal. I'd say go for it.

I gave Boober brown eyes, myself.

bazingababe24

Reaction score
I gave Boober brown eyes, myself.
That's right! I really like that picture, slackbot. He doesn't look too pleased.:big_grin:

I always personally imagined that Gobo would have brown eyes, with maybe a few flecks of gold. Red would have bright green eyes to go with her red hair, and Mokey would have pretty turquoise eyes. Wembley, the innocent golden-haired one, would undoubtedly have pure blue eyes. If we could see Boober's eyes, I always figured they'd be a dull color, maybe a bluish-gray.

According to TV Tropes, violet eyes indicate that the character is very special and often wondrous and mysterious, because violet eyes are so rare.

Guess which character I would describe as having violet eyes?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
At first I thought, Cantus? Then I realized you said character, not fraggle, so the Trash Heap?

And yeah, your discriptions sound good, although to be honest I never even realized the fraggles didn't have eye colors, and so wouldn't have noticed anything amiss if you'd added them.

Slackbot

Reaction score
According to TV Tropes, violet eyes indicate that the character is very special and often wondrous and mysterious, because violet eyes are so rare.
Heh. I gave Janken (Fraggle OC) purple eyes. I doubt "wondrous and mysterious" are the words most people would use to describe him, though. :coy:

bazingababe24

Reaction score
At first I thought, Cantus?
You are correct, fragglemuppet!:smile: I've always wanted to write a backstory for him, detailing how he began his journey as a Minstrel and the experiences that made him who he is. If natural violet eyes are as rare in Fraggledom as they are in our world, they'd be a sign that the violet-eyed Fraggle is destined to do something truly great (assuming that they are born with their eye color already stabilized, unlike humans). It would also go really well with his color scheme.

bazingababe24

Reaction score
Heh. I gave Janken (Fraggle OC) purple eyes. I doubt "wondrous and mysterious" are the words most people would use to describe him, though. :coy:
Well, he is the first Fraggle to actually live among Silly Creatures. And it's very probable that many people would be mystified and filled with wonder when they first met him. It's more fitting than you'd think!:smile:

Sorry for the two posts in succession. I wanted to put Fragglemuppet's and your quotes in the same post, but I don't know how to do that yet...:embarrassed:

Redsonga

Reaction score
You know, black is actually an eye color to ;3. It's not unheard of. I've always thought fraggles for the most part have black or very dark brown eyes, in much the same way as certain races of silly creatures also commonly have one eye color...
It's very easy to still tie emotion to eyes without needing them to be any sort of symbolic color...