What do you know about dreams?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
That happens sometimes too, don't get me wrong. It actually happens a lot with me that my dreams are literal, which is why I failed to remember the rule of symbolism in the first place. When I was younger I used to believ that some dreams, like the witch and vampire ones, were there simply for my entertainment. This still happens every once in a while, but not nearly as often as I did when I was younger, as I now have more serious issues and concerns than I used to when I was a kid.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy, I'll tell ya, last night was rully interesting...

I seem to recall only have one dream, but this one dream seemed to last for a loooong time... not that I'm complaining, because the dream was really pleasant, and I was really enjoying and cherishing every moment of it... then towards the end of the dream, it kind of started going south... but what's interesting is that it was sort of my fault that it turned out like that (in the dream, that is)... similar to the nightmare I had recently, I don't know if (in both) I was being a glutton for punishment, so-to-speak, or if I was, "Asking the question that I didn't want the answer to". *Shrug*

But again, up until the end, I think it was just about one of the most pleasant dreams I've had in a long time. :flirt:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I had the most realistic dream I have ever had last night. I dreamed I was sleeping, then woke up and realized I was 20 minutes late for class. When I actually did wake up it was only like 4 AM. Needless to say, in the groggy state, I was very confused.

Anyway, what sets this dream a part from most of my dreams is that everything was photo realistic. Usually my dreams are very cartoony or the environments are warped or altered in a way that I know its a dream. This looked exactly like everything in my dorm room, even down to all the crap on my desk in the correct place.

Anyway, something I wanted to ask was does anyone else dream that they are asleep and wake up, sometimes multiple times, before waking up for real. I mean exactly like in movies how someone is dreaming, then wake up, and their dream continues, only to realize they are still asleep? Yeah, that happens to me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyway, what sets this dream a part from most of my dreams is that everything was photo realistic. Usually my dreams are very cartoony or the environments are warped or altered in a way that I know its a dream.
That' what I've always said: although it hasn't happened recently, and it hasn't happened for a while yet, most of the time, it's like going to sleep and entering dreamland, for me, it like walking out of the real world, and into the world of Sid & Marty Krofft.

But anyway, I can't remember if it's ever happened to me, but I'm pretty sure I've had dreams like that before: where I dream I'm asleep and wake up, but am still asleep before I wake up for real.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I also had them when I was a kid, but can't remember the last time I had one. Usually those types of dreams involve having a dream within the dream, then waking up and telling someone about the dream, before waking up for real. At least, they did for me. Speaking of that type of dream, did anyone else have dreams in grade school about waking up and being told you didn't have to go to school? Man, that was disappointing when I woke up the second time...
:stick_out_tongue:
I very rarely have actual lucid dreams, dreams in which I'm consciously aware that I'm dreaming. Usually it's kind of like when you watch a TV show that you're really into, and when it comes down to it you know that it's just fiction, but you really don't care. A small part of my mind knows that what goes on in a dream is different than what's going on in my waking life, but like I said, I'm not usually aware of it. In other words I'm usually somewhere between thinking my dreams are real, and knowing that it's only a dream. I also usually have the kinds of dreams where nearly everything is normal, except for one or two elements.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I had a rather interesting dream last night...

I had this dream that Bethany was stolen, and that I went to EXTREME measures to retrieve her, even going so far as to staking out the thief's house, and breaking in to get her out.

It's interesting, because it's one of those things where, you know it happens a lot, butyou never think it'll happen to you, or what you'll do when it happens. Like, I know there's been more than a few thefts in the Muppet world, more famously the theft of original Ernie and Bert puppets from a German museum, and I've known some MCers who have had puppets stolen from them as well, but I've never stopped to think if it'll ever happen to me... and I'm curious, if it ever did happen, would I seriously go through extreme measures to get the kidnapped puppets back?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm. Interesting range of experiences here.

For the record, I was well into my teens before I learned that NOT everyone has very vivid dreams in which they can smell, taste, feel, etc, as I and some other folks here do. Almost all of mine tend to be deeply immersed, and no, I have NEVER been able to tell myself in the dream that I'm dreaming! I've tried. I am extremely resistant to hypnosis and so the self-help recordings for lucid dreams and the like don't work for me.

I do also sometimes have third-person dreams, where I'm in the dream as a character -- typically a character I've been writing about. I am aware that I both "am" the character and am also outside them, like being third-person-omniescent, and in those I can sometimes either predict the outcomes or direct them a little; those typically I don't feel "involved" in, more like I'm watching or writing it as it goes. But yeah, the worst ones are the ones which are nightmares that I'm fully immersed in with no way out. And yes, I've also had the "false waking" dreams -- most recently a few nights ago in a really horrible nightmare (posted elsewhere under "What Scared You?"). Rarely those, thank goodness. (Anyone else recall the great fake-waking scene in "An American Werewolf in London"?)

I've only rarely had precognitive dreams; the whole thing runs in my family but has always scared me a bit, and since I couldn't figure out how to fine-tune it I simply shut it off. I admire you, RedPiggy, for keeping it open, whatever it is. (I'm not going to speculate; I just know it's real, and can be useful or horrible.) My Gypsy great-grandma (yes, I did actually have one) was said to have dreamed things that came true frequently, as well as interpreting them for others. I think interpreting others' dreams is ill-advised unless you know the person really well; the so-called "Dream Dictionaries" are nothing but objects of scorn to me. We DON'T all have the same symbols, or the same unconscious or subconscious (sorry, any Jungians here). That said, I do agree with what several of you have posted here about dream reflecting fears, hopes, obsessions...sure. But what any given thing in a dream means is very subjective to the dreamer!

Since I joined here, and started writing like crazy again, I've been having very, very vivid dreams after a long dry spell of either not having, or not recalling them. Curse and blessing both! I could do without, for instance, the nightmare which freaked me out this morning, about my ex wanting to sleep with me again...and then I noticed the little bugs wedged beneath the skin, junebugs, parasites, picked up from their unclean bed. Yeeeeessssh. *shudders* (And NO, I don't do meth, and NO, I haven't seen "Bug" because I knew it would scare me!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I had another one of THOSE interesting dreams last night, but I'm not sure if I sure waste anytime trying to decypher it's hidden meaning behind why I had it, because when that happens, then I start going crazy by developing all these senseless "conspiracy theory"-like theories that may or may not have any significance towards any real-life situation whatsoever.

In other words... ah, forget it.

Nick22

Reaction score
I haven't had a bad nightmare in a while (knock on wood), but I have never EVER had a dream that has made any type of sense. My dreams are always very strange. Usually pretty entertaining. A great few of my dreams include the ocean. I'm not too sure why, but it's almost always there. I have had a few dreams about the world ending, too. And several where my sister and best friend have died. But even those make no sense.

The dream where my best friend died was especially strange. My friend and I were walking down a busy street, and all of a sudden her socks appeared in the middle of the road. She decided to go get them. She grabbed them, then everything went into slow motion. She jumped in the air, did a ninja-spin thingy and I looked away. I heard a huge smash because I guess she was hit by a car.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------------
Something night before last about trying to escape a malevolent museum...ah yes. That would be my subconscious guilt-tripping me for not writing yet this week...

------------------------------