The Song of the Count vs. The Batty Bat

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Two of The Count's signature songs are The Song of the Count and The Batty Bat. The Song of the Count came out in season four, the season The Count made his debut, and seems to be the song most associated with the character for many years. Then The Batty Bat came out in season 17 and seems to be the more popular song.

Which of these songs do you like better?

The Song of the Count: http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...1560-11dd-a62f-919b98326687/song_of_the_count

The Batty Bat:
http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...fd38721-157d-11dd-9bc7-777dea8a73e7/batty_bat

I like The Song of the Count better. I really like the green lighting in this segment, and I like the sinister sound of the music and The Count. I feel like The Batty Bat is a bit overrated.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I always loved the Batty Bat Song. It was so much fun to listne to. But I never heard the Song of the Count before. It's really cool. I'm gonna stick with Batty Bat for now just cuz I've liked it longer. But I think now I just officially like songs the Count sings.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The Song of the Count all the way! Batty Bat's a fun enough song but SotC just completely captures The Count's whole essence musically and lyrically.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
They're both great! I love The Count!
And both songs are classic for The Count, even though I probably remember "The Batty Bat" more readily than "Song of the Count"- could just be that it's been a while since I've heard that one though.:batty:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I did some checking at Muppet Wiki to see which one has had more audio releases, and The Song of the Count has actually been released more, though only by one release (SotC has 7 releases, BB has 6).

It seems like The Song of the Count is never included in any anniversary specials or products, while The Batty Bat has been. The Song of the Count wasn't in the Tenth Anniversary Album (the only song of The Count in that release was The Count's Lullaby), though then again C is for Cookie and ABC-DEF-GHI weren't included, either. I am a little surprised The Song of the Count hasn't been remade (now that I think about it, it seems none of The Count's songs have been remade on the show).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't care for remakes, but I'd love them to re-do "Count Up to Nine" for today's kids to enjoy.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
The Song of the Count is my pick! I LOVE THE SONG! It definetely introduces the Count's character! I just love it!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Last night I was with some friends and we got to talking about the Count. One of the guys in our group who's like in his forties mentioned the song of theCount and got blank looks around the table (except for me.) Then I mentioned Batty Bat and more people recognized that one. The rest of us at the tables were in our twenites. It was just interesting to see the gap between those songs.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't care for remakes, but I'd love them to re-do "Count Up to Nine" for today's kids to enjoy.
While I'd prefer they show the original and not do a remake, they haven't shown classic segments in years. When last season began it looked as if it was limiting the segments to Elmo's World and stuff shot in HD, though by the end of the season they showed more stuff from as far back as the early 1990s. It won't surprise me if someday they limit it all to stuff shot in HD. And then they'd have to either make new versions of classic songs for new audiences to enjoy or not show classic songs at all. Though it seems like it's been years since they last showed the 1990s remakes of Rubber Duckie and C is for Cookie.

I've also just noticed that it's been a long time since many of the shows classic characters had their own song. Not counting group numbers like What I Am, when's the last time The Count, Bert, Grover, or Cookie Monster got to sing a new song on their own? Have Big Bird or Oscar even sung anything new in recent years?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Song of the Count wasn't in the Tenth Anniversary Album (the only song of The Count in that release was The Count's Lullaby), though then again C is for Cookie and ABC-DEF-GHI weren't included, either.
"Eight Beautiful Notes" was also on the 10th Anniversary Album.

The question might be is it "The Song of the Count" or "Counting is Wonderful" (which has been recorded twice by the way).

For me it's probably "The Song of the Count" as I think of it as his signature song.